Archinect
anchor

I was accepted at UT, Oregon, and Tulane, which one?

ameliaray

Is there anyone who has experienced/attended these schools, and would like to voice their opinion?  UT is the most financially feasible because I am from Texas. I spent one year of my undergrad at the Tulane's architecture program and enjoyed it. Oregon is attractive because of its location, and its emphasis on sustainability of course. 

Mar 1, 16 11:15 am
proto

Texas, but then they just lost their Dean so who knows now...

Mar 1, 16 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
mahoganyandbass

Hi Ameliaray,

Not sure if you have decided yet, but I would like to help out! I don't know if you are applying for graduate or undergraduate. If you are applying for graduate just know that at Tulane, all of your classes and studio are with the undergraduate school. There is virtually no distinction between the two. If you are looking for a second undergraduate education Tulane is the choice! I can't speak for Texas, but Tulane does not make the graduate school a priority. It is very unfortunate and they won't tell you this. 

Mar 2, 16 11:33 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Where do you want to settle down?  Tulane is a regional school that is not particularly well known outside of the region.  It is also expensive.  If you plan to stay in the area it might make sense, but otherwise ???  That said, N.O. is a wonderful city to study architecture, particularly historic.  I went there.

Mar 2, 16 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Pat Dimond

@Ameliaray,

I was just accepted to Tulane as well but with only $6,000 a year in merit scholarship. I haven't heard back from FAFSA but am very easy that it's the right decision for me (unless I receive a buttload of extra money). I don't plan on leaving grad school with potentially 150+ debt.

I like the idea of going to school in a culturally rich city but after hearing what mahoganyandbass said I'm even more skeptical about Tulane.

Have you totally ruled out Tulane? Did you get a lot of merit scholarship money/TA opportunities? Just trying to flush things out for myself and am hopefully being somewhat helpful for you.

Mar 2, 16 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
Pat Dimond

uneasy* , apologies

Mar 2, 16 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
@mahogany you do know an M.Arch 1 is basically the 5 to 6 year professional degree compressed into 3 years right? I don't get your disdain for taking studio with undergrads. At least from the grad students I knew, they didn't mind. They even talked to us and asked each other for advice! Guess you wanted the tailored, segregated, ivory tower.

But in all seriousness, the grad program at Tulane really wasn't a focus until a few years back. It seems more and more the way Tulane is shifting, and the current director of the grad program is one of the professors that I greatly admire.
Mar 4, 16 9:42 am  · 
 · 
ameliaray

@Pat Dimond

Hi, 

I was received a similar merit scholarship and a fellowship for 3,000, but Tulane is still expensive. I appreciate everyone's insight. I do believe that the grad program is becoming more important at Tulane, but it still seems to behind UT. I was just accepted at UBC, so I wonder if anyone know about that architecture grad program?

Mar 14, 16 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

I was accepted to the Tulane Grad 3.5 year program with a substantial scholarship.  I was also accepted to Oregon for their 2-year advanced MArch program.  I was also accepted to Savannah but they asked me to completed 5 prerequisite undergrad course before i begin my studies at Savannah. 

My question is, how can Oregon believe I am an advanced student, but Savannah believes I am underprepared for their program, and Tulane believes I am also only prepared enough for their 3.5 year program?  

I am also having a lot of trouble deciding between the program so if anyone could comment on the difference between the quarter and semester system in terms of the studio culture and rigor of the program that would be appreciated. 

Apr 4, 16 10:20 am  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Naivete - SCAD is private and sees an opportunity to milk you for an extra year + change. Happens all the time in the 2/3 yr. track programs.

Apr 4, 16 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
baker1

I think that Tulane is a better choice.

Apr 5, 16 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
New Orleans is a great place to study architecture, and not just because beads and boobs. You learn how to navigate the historical context of the city, and there is enough flexibility in the program that you can explore your own personal interests within architecture.

Stay away from Hand Grenades at Tropical Isle and the Purple Voodoo drink at Lafitte's.
Apr 5, 16 10:49 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks for all of your input. I definitely agree that SCAD is probably trying to take advantage of my financial situation. Tulane has been aggressively trying to recruit me so I will be flying to NOLA this weekend to see the city and school in person for the first time.  Hopefully that will solidify my decision between Tulane and Oregon. 

Apr 6, 16 10:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: