Archinect
anchor

Major in college

madiepauley

Is majoring in environmental science an awful idea if I want to go to architecture school? or possibly study environmental design in grad school?

Feb 23, 16 10:10 am
Non Sequitur

why not just skip enviro science and study architecture?

Feb 23, 16 10:25 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

If you're going to major in something other than architecture, make it something really easy so that you can spend time networking (most of my smaller clients come from contacts I made during my undergraduate studies), and keep a GPA high enough to get into a good graduate school.

Feb 23, 16 10:27 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Whatever you do, don't go into debt for an architecture degree.

Feb 23, 16 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Schoon

Have you considered environmental engineering?  I'm not sure how many universities offer it, by the program at my school is a sort of combination on environmental science / infrastructure engineering.

Feb 23, 16 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

An architect with an EnvE background would be killer in NYC.

Feb 23, 16 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Major in Civil Engineering, with a concentration in structures, if you like. Minor in Art and Architectural History.

Feb 23, 16 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
madiepauley

THank you for all of your comments! I cannot major in architecture because my state does not offer an accredited degree in such and it is too expensive to go out of state even through the common market. The college I am going to had an engineering degree in civil and I am worried that's not focused enough on civil for me. They do not have architectural history either. Also by an  "easy major" what do you suggest?

Feb 24, 16 10:24 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

Something you find genuinely interesting (and will get high marks on) regardless of employment prospects (since you're going to grad school afterwards anyways).

Feb 24, 16 10:51 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

which state?  architecture schools are a dime a dozen.  it would genuinely surprise me if there was a place where you could not affordably get into an architecture school in your state, and being genuinely surprised seems like something to do today.

Feb 24, 16 10:56 am  · 
 · 
madiepauley

West Virginia. The only school with an undergraduate architecture degree is Fairmont State but it is not accredited.

Feb 24, 16 11:03 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

the undergrad is not accredited.  it's a 4+2 program, so after the BS, you apply to the M. Arch program

https://www.fairmontstate.edu/collegeofscitech/academics/architecture-program

Feb 24, 16 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

West Virginia University's school of Civil and Environmental Engineering is ABET accredited, which is worth its weight in gold. I advised the son of one of my good friends to get a CE degree, and to my astonishment, he did. He went to a small state school in his home state of Ohio. He is two years out, does not yet have his PE, and is making over $70,000. More importantly, he loves his job, absolutely loves it. He works with architects and landscape architects a lot and is beginning to travel for his firm. Do not discount the value of an ABET engineering degree.

Feb 24, 16 11:56 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

architecture schools are a dime a dozen

Grossly overpriced.

Go the civil engineering route even if it is more rigorous.  Architecture is a dying profession, and furthermore, civil engineering may be surprisingly rewarding to you.  There is honestly very little art in architectural practice, and what real art there is generally is done by partner level designers in high-end firms.  That's a small target to be aiming for, even if you have talent.

Feb 24, 16 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Since West Virginia doesn't have an accredited program, you may be able to go to a school in a neighboring state for in-state tuition costs.  

I know Virginia has agreements with a few other states for such situations.  

Feb 24, 16 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Architecture and engineering are taught very differently - I would advise you to sit in some classes and talk to students.  Also shadow professionals in both.  In many ways they diverge in college and early years of the career and then merge back together.  Environmental science and engineering are also very different, looking at required coursework should be a good indication (accredited engineering degrees often require 3 semesters calc, diff equations, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics - that is to say its very math/science heavy).

Feb 24, 16 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
madiepauley

Thanks for all the feedback!

Feb 25, 16 9:51 am  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

I cannot say for certain, but did you check to see if WV has reciprocal agreements with surrounding states to study architecture at the in-state rate.  When I was at Maryland, students from Delaware could attend Maryland for in-state because they also did not have an accredited degree.

Going to Fairmont State is not a bad idea either for the undergraduate degree.  Again, we had students from there attend the Master of Architecture at Maryland.

@DocArchitecture

Apr 30, 16 5:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: