Archinect
anchor

New School of Architecture reputation...

manoverde84

what is the reputation among the AEC community on New School in San Diego? I'm not talking about Parsons at the New School in NYC but the New School of Arch and Design in San Diego, CA. Is it considered a reputable school with a reputable arch program? Does it have reputable faculty. I know schools matter little when out in the workforce in this field but it would at least be preferable to graduate from somewhere that's not a total third tier school. 

Feb 12, 16 2:12 pm
zonker

I graduated there and so did one of my co-workers - we are able to hold our own with co-workers from  Berkeley, USC, Harvard and Columbia.

Feb 12, 16 2:45 pm  · 
1  · 
manoverde84

How do your peers view the school? What do employers think? Is it considered reputable among the AEC employers? 

Feb 12, 16 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

did we not already decided in your previous posts that more schooling was not the answer for you?

Skills and experience pays the bills, not the name on or the number of diplomas you carry.

Feb 12, 16 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

don't lie xenakis - you are the king of dudes getting laid off.

Feb 12, 16 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

chigurh

I was too ahead of time and it just took the architecture industry time to catch up to me - being at the "bleeding edge" has its costs so to speak - it comes with the game 

Feb 12, 16 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

How do your peers view the school? What do employers think? Is it considered reputable among the AEC employers? 

in all honesty, most firms never heard of the school - You went where? - 

Its not Berkeley, let alone Harvard - its a good functional accredited architectural school - when I graduated, I got hired at SOM - now when working in  an ivy patch like that, I admit I was out of my league even though I could arguably do the work. 

Feb 12, 16 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

"did we not already decided in your previous posts that more schooling was not the answer for you?

Skills and experience pays the bills, not the name on or the number of diplomas you carry."       Yes of course. This is for after I get at least two years experience and it would be a part time masters degree online in CM not Arch. 

Feb 12, 16 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Xenakis I have a shot at either going there online or going online with a state school that's cheaper and it comes from an accredited ABET engineering school. But I would go with New School if it actually meant anything when applying to big AEC firms. 

Feb 12, 16 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

manoverde84

NewSchool is good bet if you want to understand the realities of architecture from an engineering and construction standpoint as well as design.

NewSchool is based on the Cal Poly SLO approach and hired many alumni as faculty - least when I was there(2007)

Feb 12, 16 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I counseled the son of a friend if mine to get a civil engineering degree. He actually did, is two years out, and is making over $70,000 plus benefits in a low cost of living area in the Midwest. He does not yet have his PE. He works with architects and landscape architects a lot and loves his job. He is traveling some for his company also. An engineering degree from a ABET accredited school is worth a lot.

Feb 12, 16 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Xanakis cal poly slo and Pomona are very well received schools because they're hands on and practical vs theoretical. Top notch schools. If new school is modeled after that then that's good. And yes I would like to know construction management from an arch and design p.o.v. But while the CM degree from the state school I mentioned is not ABET accredited (I don't think any are) it is administered and conferred through the engineering school not a continuing Ed school. So I have a tough choice. 

Feb 12, 16 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

NSAD also has a Bachelor in const. management - do a double majo, arch and const mgmt

Feb 12, 16 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Already have a BA in an unrelated field. I'm finishing some auto cad arch/mechanical certs at the local occupational center, I'm starting at entry level soon and I'm gonna work for a year and start my masters degree online in CM. The program is only a year long and I need something quick and complimentary to my work schedule. That's why it's down to an arch school like New School or the school of engineering at a flagship state school. I didn't know which would look better to prospective employers in the AEC industry. I would already obtain the experience I would just want the education to boot. 

Feb 12, 16 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Get the CM degree from the ABET state school. Do not waste your money at a private for profit school.The degree from a state school engineering department will be much better received, most likely many of the engineers that you will work with in the construction company's went to that school.

Feb 13, 16 8:39 am  · 
 · 
manoverde84

You're right I forgot about it being a Laurete school. The CM degree itself I don't think is ABET accredited because I don't any CM degrees are that aren't purely engineering focused. But the state school is and is in the top 100 for best engineering schools in the country and I know has a great rep. 

Feb 13, 16 10:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: