Archinect
anchor

Help

madiepauley

I will be going to college this fall and majoring in pre-engineering with a civil emphasis, or if I can get my ACT math score up the actual major. I am not very good at math but I enjoy it, If youre wondering why I would pick engineering. Knowing engineering is a difficult major, I have had second thoughts on doing it because I am completely set on going to architecture school after my bachelor but I am not sure what other majors would be secure and help me improve prior to arch school. I live in West Virginia where there are no schools that have an accredited undergraduate architecture degree. Also, Fairmont State is the only one with any type of architecture program. Through the common market, I could go somewhere with an architecture program but they all require portfolios and I'm just not ready nor do I have the money to go. I would consider doing sustainable or environmental design in grad school instead of arch. I'm just wondering if maybe I should minor in graphic design? switch majors? I'm jus searching for any advice I can find. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Feb 12, 16 12:35 pm
Medusa

You can always do a 3-year grad school program for architecture regardless of what your undergrad major is, so it can wait till you're ready.  In the meantime, get your undergrad for as cheap as possible (going to an in-state public school, live at home if possible, doing you general requirement classes in a community college that will transfer your credits to the 4-year college of your choice, apply for scholarships, etc).

I did both my undergrad and grad studies in architecture.  If I had to do it all over again, I would have probably gotten my undergrad in mechanical engineering instead, and then gotten my masters in architecture. 

Good luck!

Feb 14, 16 11:18 am  · 
 · 
madiepauley

Thank you so much!

Feb 15, 16 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: