Archinect
anchor

About architectural programming (briefing)

Beshoy Adel

I'm an architecture student, and I have this project that I have to write the briefing for (first time, every time they give us the briefing with areas and spaces and we only design) I just needed to ask about how do you calculate areas for each space, do you have to invent the wheel each time and calculate the dimensions of furniture and human dimensions and the free spaces and so or are there lists with individual share of area for every space (for example maybe a library an individual area share is 1 meter square and the users are 100 persons so the library is 100 meters square and so on) I know that Neufert did this for some spaces like office buildings, but are there similar lists with individual area share for other spaces like dormitories, conference halls, theaters, clinics and so on. My project is a Woman and child support center (some sort of domestic violence victims support center) so it has a lot of diverse spaces and so, and connecting and putting the areas for the spaces in it is something I didn't do before, how can you advice me to get started about it, and how do I solve the areas problem?

Thanks a lot and if there's anything that is not clear please ask (English is not my mother tongue so I hope I expressed what I wanted to say)

Feb 10, 16 9:00 am

If your library has a book like Graphic Standards or Graphic Standards for Interior Design it will tell you typical sizes of rooms for various functions.

Otherwise, go to a dormitory, measure it, and decide from your own experience of it whether you desire for your users to have more or less space, laid out similarly or differently...the real-life case study is actually a really good way to figure this out!

Feb 10, 16 9:29 am  · 
 · 

Similar to Neufert, check out Time-Saver Standards.

Feb 10, 16 11:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: