Archinect
anchor

DWG, DXF, or both?

kwark

Your opinion -- should manufacturers provide their 2d drawings as DWGs, DXFs or both? DWGs only open with AutoCAD, whereas DXFs can be opened with AutoCAD and other drawing software.

Feb 9, 16 2:40 pm
curtkram

when in doubt, do whatever bobrick is doing.

in fact, i think i'm going to see if i can get bracelets made that say 'dwbid' just to remind myself to do whatever bobrick is doing.

Feb 9, 16 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

bobrick is great!

I think I could easily sell a few of those bracelets in the office Curt. Do you do bulk orders?

Feb 9, 16 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
kwark

It appears that Bobrick only offers Revit BIM models. Currently, we offer Revit BIM models only for two of our product series. For the rest, we offer 2d symbols in DWG and DXF format. For those, the question is whether we need to offer DWG, DXF or both.

Feb 9, 16 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
In acad I usually want a dwg OR dxf that's actually drawn to real world dimensions, accurately and with as few lines as possible. No exploded dimensions. Line work on layer 0 and everything else on its own layer. I'm probably going to copy the line work into my own block and ignore the rest EXCEPT I need the dims so I can tell if the drawing is accurate. So many manufacturers have inaccurate drawings, scaled to weird sizes, too much line work, exploded dims. I prefer dwg format.

For example, pella, nice cad dwgs but no installation details in cad so very difficult to tell what tolerances are.

For revit-similar. The file can't be too big, needs to actually work.
Feb 9, 16 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

every screw has to be drawn in.  i always wonder why they do that.  nobody wants to see every screw.  it's not going to print that big.

Feb 9, 16 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

curt -seriously. 

manufacturers overdraw frequently. 

Ideally - 2 drawings, one with the level of detail of the screws, another one that's simplified. Both are dimensionally accurate. The simple one just needs a diagrammatic screw - 2 lines. 

Feb 10, 16 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Have the DWG available in both metric and bat-shit-backwards imperial... and without exploded text, dims, hatches, etc. I won't include it if I have to work to make the drawings compatible... and others in my office will just scale/insert at will because they are too lazy to do things properly.

Feb 10, 16 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

I despise getting a DWG that is just a 3d model dumbed down.  Deleting 18 million mesh lines is not my idea of fun. 

Feb 10, 16 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
To the OP-hire a talented, experienced architectural firm-with loads of technical experience-to do the drawings. Yes, metric and US measurements-if you want international sales. Worth it for the extra cost. Don't get engineers to do the drawings. They do not understand.
Feb 10, 16 8:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: