Archinect
anchor

building materials

archaganik@gmail.com

Can someone please tell me what these vertical black lines are going up the building, they are about 4 inches wide and made out of rubber or silicone. Thanks.

Feb 9, 16 2:13 pm
JLC-1

that's the glue line where they put the parts of the building together

Feb 9, 16 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

it's an expansion joint 

lol @ JLC-1

Feb 9, 16 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

4" sounds like a bit much.

my guess is it's a wabo weatherseal.  as jlc says, they're used to glue parts of the building together.

Feb 9, 16 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

yeah, looks like a 2 3/4" wabo seal

Feb 9, 16 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
PrincetonArchitecture

Its a wall expansion gap to prevent cracks from traveling far. The gap is sealed with a silicon sealant to keep the elements out.

Jul 4, 17 11:26 am  · 
 · 
starrchitect

Expansion joint. Seeing how wide they are, it's possible this building is in a geographic zone with heavy seismic activity.

Dec 25, 17 11:12 pm  · 
 · 

The top is likely a seismic isolation joint, typical where two different wings of a building meet. they can be 4 or more inches. I worked on  project in Alabama with a huge 6" seismic isolation joint right through the proposed lobby/entry area

The bottom is a typical masonry expansion joint for thermal expansion typically every 20-30' and where materials change or turn corners 1" is common sometimes 1/2".

This is a fun question, thanks for posting it!

Over and OUT

Peter N

Dec 26, 17 1:54 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

That masonry expansion joint looks horrible.

Dec 27, 17 1:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: