Archinect
anchor

some questions about GSD careeer discovery..

collour

Hi. I'm a 4th grade undergrad student majoring in architecture and final 5th class is just remained.

I have interested in this program. By the way, I have some quetions about career discovery program at GSD. Could you tell me about these quetions?

1. Is this program efficient for someone who have already learned architecture in his or her university? I know there are many students who don't have any architectural backgrounds usually apply this program. Although I'm a architecture student, I want to feel this program, gund hall's atmosphere.. learn about something new and communicate with other applicants. Because I plan to apply a M.arch program later. But what I concerned about is that it may not helpful for students with architectural base. The reason is that the program's contents may mainly focus on someone with no architectural backgrounds. Is there any architectural-base student who experienced in this program? Is it positively effect on?

2. In fact, I think I have a lack of English skills. I think I can just speak basic English conversation.  So I'm worried about talking with others or presenting my work infront of instructors. Is it okay..? for me to learn about something or work with others?

3. Because of living in non-English speaking country, I have studied TOEFL to have a higher score. I found that total 92 is minimum score and each section's minimum score is 23 to apply. But, is it only possible to apply If someone makes sure of that point? For example, those who have the score 95 but each section's score is 25, 26, 20, 24(not every section is higher than 23) cannot apply this program..?

I wait your considerate advice and thank for your help.

Feb 9, 16 11:40 am
JJ9527

1. Which school are you in right now?Career Discover program is for people with no background or little background (for example, a Bachelor in Environmental Design) to build up portfolio. If you have a proper undergrad in architecture, this summer program won't help you much. However, there is nothing bad about going to this program; it's up to you if you want to try it and feel Harvard's atmosphere for $3500...

2. Well..it's not okay...If you are afraid of talking in English, go find a part-time job in sales...,and at least you have to pass the TOEFL and GRE if you want to apply for a M.Arch.

Feb 10, 16 12:35 am  · 
 · 
Maddie95
  1.  I attended Career Discovery last year in urban planning. Being a non-architecture student, I did observe a lot of non-architecture students.
  2. well, you should be ok to go up and present your work. Instructors and Critiques are pretty friendly and you will have support from your friends too.
  3. I had scored 21 in one of the fields and they admitted me anyway. so that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Feb 10, 16 1:14 am  · 
 · 

If you have the money to pay for the program then I think it is a great opportunity for you to see what the GSD is all about while adding some new projects to your portfolio. As just an observation that I have made (so it may not be completely factual), it seems that the GSD admissions committee favors applicants who did well in their Career Discovery program. You could also attend one of the school's open house events or info sessions. I attended both and they were helpful in discovering the school's pedagogy. Certainly the school is keeping up appearances during these events, however I felt it was a great opportunity to meet and learn from some of their faculty and we had the opportunity to explore the 'shelves' and speak directly with students. The vibe I got is that the students are under a lot of pressure which is beneficial for certain types of learners and pretty typical of accredited architecture programs. They stressed the notion of only going to the GSD if you are truly passionate about the program of study you are pursuing, and not to go simply to satisfy the desires of parents or other authority figures. There are an abundance of resources (amazing fabrication lab, notable lecturers and faculty, study abroad opportunities, work fellowships, etc.) and it is clear that the school and its faculty can provide many opportunities for a successful career post graduation. These are just my observations as an applicant for Fall 2016.

Feb 11, 16 9:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: