Archinect
anchor

European architects, assistants, technicians, what do you expect to earn?

cda0608

Hello everyone,

I would like to know what European Architects, Architectural Assistants, Architectural Technicians, Interior Architects etc. would expect to get paid to do Interior Architectural CAD drawings and quotation calculations. How much would you charge per hour or per annum?

The required abilities are good 2D and 3D CAD skills, a good level of English (especially the ability to read and write), good problem solving skills, and self-motivated (as can work from home). 

In your answers, please state which country you are from and how much you would expect to get paid per hour and per annum. 

Thanks in advance!

Feb 8, 16 11:17 am
Non Sequitur

interior architect... ha!

have you tried google, or at least the archinect salary poll?

Feb 8, 16 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
cda0608

Hi Non Sequitur, 

I have tried both. The data all varies too much. I would like to know from the architects themselves what they would accept for this type of work?

Feb 8, 16 12:36 pm  · 
 · 

Apparently experience is not a required ability.

Feb 8, 16 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Miles, no exp because everyone fresh out if school thinks they deserve to be paid the same as a project architect with 10+ years experience.

Feb 8, 16 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
cda0608

Any experience is a bonus. But people can be trained. Please include experience when you say how much you would expect to be paid.

Feb 8, 16 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
jeiffert

What on earth is a quotation calculation?

Feb 8, 16 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
cda0608

Quotation calculations are the calculations that need to be done to quote the client with a price for the service provided by the company. This will be taught by the company.

Feb 9, 16 8:12 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What company? yours?

This is the worst job posting ever.

I say a good salary is like a dowry. Plenty of sheep makes everybody happy but don't give away that prized donkey to the first stud who comes knocking on your hut.

Feb 9, 16 8:19 am  · 
 · 
cda0608

This is not a job posting. It is research. 

Do you have any input that will be helpful, such as answering the question at hand, what salary would you expect?

I wasn't asking for anything more...

Feb 9, 16 8:23 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Totally have information on what you're asking. Anyone can find this out with 10 seconds of google work.

And because I doubt you actually looked when I suggested it above, here's something for you:

http://salaries.archinect.com/

That'll be two chickens and a young rooster please.

Feb 9, 16 8:35 am  · 
 · 
cda0608

I am not sure why you keep insisting! I used that website and Google long before posting! Do you think that I wanted to sit and waste time talking to people who can't even answer the question at hand?

The problem with that website, is that when you search by country, example Portugal, you get a lot of variation in the entries. If I search Czech Republic, I hardly get any results at all, and many results are outdated.

I have used official data from the architect's council of Europe, but all that leads back to the problem that I would like to know how much someone would accept for a CAD job. Not a normal architecture salary. I don't want to know about CAD technicians etc. because the role would require a creative person with awareness and understanding of 3D space.

Now I ask again, please can you reply with what you would expect to earn in your country, and no more links please. I don't need someone to tell me how to do research. Thanks.

Feb 9, 16 9:00 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Wow, awfully rude and you didn't even state why you're asking. My answer is go suck on a toe.

Feb 9, 16 9:41 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ha!

this was great.

BTW, you don't know how to do research.

Feb 9, 16 9:53 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

CAD job = CAD technician/Operator, that is what they're called.

Feb 9, 16 10:31 am  · 
 · 
cda0608

I didn't state why I was asking, because I am not at liberty to say, yet. For now please accept it as research. All I want, is to get information straight from the source, the architects. It is more valuable than information from 3 or four years ago.

I feel that many answers here were "rude" too. It is rude to assume that I lack the intelligence and wouldn't go and do my research before asking you lot. 

But it would be nice if there were no more arguments, and maybe someone out there who is actually feeling helpful? Maybe if you are a keyboard warrior, you could maybe have more fun elsewhere. 

There are many architects who become CAD monkeys straight out of university until they are fully qualified. Those are the sort of people that I would like to hear answers from, not CAD technician/operators. Thanks

Feb 10, 16 4:32 am  · 
 · 
cda0608

If no one is willing to answer the question, maybe you can help with other useful information, because basically what I am looking for is this: https://adremgroup.com/guidance/uk-architecture-salary-guide/

But for all of Europe (Eastern and Western), not just the UK.

It is current, categorises based on experience, job role, etc.

Feb 10, 16 4:36 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Yeah I'm not answering and I hope no one else does either, your replies are conceited and condescending. You want free information without willing to provide anything in return. If you actually were nice in your opening posts I would of provided you with an answer as I have the information you need but I feel like being a keyboard asshole today perhaps.

Feb 10, 16 4:40 am  · 
 · 
cda0608

Look archiwutm8, I was trying to be nice in my opening posts, until Non Sequitur came along. He/she was looking to start an argument by throwing the first punch. In fact, there was not one person who replied nicely to my first post.

My fight is not with you. In fact, I don't want to fight with anyone. 

A forum is a place of open and free discussion. I came here to ask the question, if you cannot answer a question without receiving more information, then that is up to you. I cannot inclose more information yet, so you can't get upset about it, just sit it out.

Feb 10, 16 4:57 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
^fool. Must be your first time on the internets.
Feb 10, 16 6:47 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

oh so you already have the research you just want to see what we would say? there is an easy way to figure out your question based on experience only. also, you should know by now after doing research, the countries like the UK and USA keep far better census statistics than the rest of Europe, especilly Eastern, so expecting that level of data collection elsewhere with public publications may just be unreasonable. also i do not think you are searching hard enough....

Feb 10, 16 7:16 am  · 
 · 
cda0608

Yes, I do have a lot of research Olaf Design Ninja, I am just not sure how relevant it is and wanted to do my own market research here to compare or fill in the gaps.

How about we go about this another way. The Architect's Council of Europe gives the following statistics from 2014: http://www.ace-cae.eu/5/

How relevant do you think this information still is? Obviously many Eastern European countries (and Western for that matter) are missing statistics, as you say. I am not expecting to find a data collection for these countries exactly, I was rather looking for maybe one or two architects from each (or at least some) European countries who would answer the question in this thread.

Feb 10, 16 7:52 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

non-sequiter spends a good amount of time here like myself. he can smell a thread not cutting to the chase in seconds. lets consider your post above your first post. so not enough one or two architects in salary poll? assuming 1-3 for the role you describe. i would throw out the high earnera in 1-3 as they may have moved on to a higher level like project management amd throw out the low levels at 3 or more years as they may esssentially just be designers in an intern like role

Feb 10, 16 8:07 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Lol is this "research" to see how much you'd get paid if you got a new job?

Feb 10, 16 8:19 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Olaf, cheers.

Feb 10, 16 8:28 am  · 
 · 
cda0608

Look, I want to use any answers here (which seems unlikely) to compare to the information that I already have from other sources. If one or two architects from each country posted their answer here, it will at least give me a guide as to whether or not the information that I have is accurate. 

One or two answers is not enough on its own. One or two answers from one specific source is not valuable either. Collecting information from multiple sources and different means gives a much better and more accurate picture.

I don't know why you all just want to argue and nit-pick. But thanks Olaf Design Ninja, your answer is actually a bit useful.

No, I do not want to change jobs archiwutm8. Why would I want to find out how much people would accept for this job in different countries? I would just tell the employer what I was willing to accept for said job, which is what I'm asking of you lot. 

Feb 10, 16 8:52 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

prost, non! in the US big firms have "levels" for experience, not sure this translates to other countries, as this rarerly translates to smaller firms in US.

Feb 10, 16 8:55 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i think statistics from 2014 would not be that different from 2015, so what you have is probably as relevant as possible. 

i also don't think you're going to get a really good population sample of people who are doing contract drafting work with a design background in 2015 (or more recent?) across 30+ different countries.  i don't think there are all that many people who fit that description, and of those that do fit the description, it's probably unlikely many of them are on this forum waiting to offer their experience to others.

also, you don't say what scope the project is or really what level of expertise your contract draftsperson needs (other than 'quotation calculations').  there could be a huge discrepancy based on the level of responsibility and expertise they're expected to know.  for example, is this just someone to pick up redlines, or someone who should have some familiarity with local codes?  or is this someone who will be doing a lot of field work doing as-builts and be responsible for their own travel costs?  the compensation could be significantly different for all three.

Feb 10, 16 9:39 am  · 
 · 
cda0608

Thank you Curtkram. 

The person would not need an awful lot of experience. Full training would potentially be given. They just need to have some sort of architecture degree, great CAD skills, English reading/writing ability, and problem solving and maths skills.

There probably won't be a need for travel, as they could work remotely from home, but if there was, it would be covered.

I understand there are many unemployed architecture graduates all over Europe (especially countries like Portugal, Spain, Italy, etc.) who, I think, would be grateful to get some sort of architecture-related job, rather than taking waiting or barista jobs (as they unfortunately have to do). So I think there are many people who fit the description, but I have realised, like you say, that they are not on this forum. I was just taking a chance when posting.

Feb 10, 16 10:38 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

so you're trying to set up a 'pick up my redlines' type drafting service?

my office is now working with one of the chinese rendering shops, but i have no experience with outsourcing drafting.

Feb 10, 16 10:45 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Outsourcing drafting for CDs is not allowed under my association and office's certificate of practice. This sounds like a dubious scam.

Feb 10, 16 10:48 am  · 
 · 
cda0608

Not outsourcing at all. The person would be part of the team. Outsourcing doesn't work for us. I'm not setting up any sort of service. It is more of a creating jobs idea, and providing job security. You all really want to know what this research is for, don't you haha.

I don't know where you are from or what association you belong to, but outsourcing isn't illegal Non Sequitur, many companies do it. Google it. In fact, RIBA in the UK supports outsourcing.

Feb 10, 16 11:10 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

But you've already said what you want to get it for...you're either trying to undercut whose with those job titles already or trying to figure out how much to pay/profit.

Feb 10, 16 11:21 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ it is when the constructions docs are not produced under the direct supervision of the holder of the certificate of practice. But, some areas have more lack, even non-existent regulations, so go nuts if you live and work in such a place. I'm happy I do not.

Feb 10, 16 11:24 am  · 
 · 
cda0608

Keep guessing archiwutm8 :)

Non Sequitur, I wouldn't say that the UK has non-existent regulations. In fact, quite the opposite, but sure. 

Feb 10, 16 11:34 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Sounds like you need to consult your lawyer(s) on this. Perhaps there is a forum where you can also get free legal advice.

Looks like you barely have a handle on what you're trying to do.

Feb 10, 16 11:51 am  · 
 · 
cda0608

Thanks Non Sequitur. Your help is invaluable.

Feb 10, 16 11:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: