Archinect
anchor

Military Museum

archilover

I'm an architecture student and my project is a military museum. I searched a lot about similar project on internet, I read also about military architects like Vauban. But yet I still dont know from where to start. If you have any suggestions from where to start I'll be so glad.

Feb 3, 16 11:50 am
Non Sequitur

Have you tried google?

damn lazy students.

Feb 3, 16 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Part of me wants to sympathize with a younger generation that seems not to have been taught what a library is, or what research is, or what initiative is.  And I do.  A little.

Still, I see some students who are very motivated and work very hard.  When they come to me with questions it's because they've spent hours digging for sources and thinking about implications.  The questions they've come up with are good, thoughtful ones built from a solid first round of effort.  Not "please tell me where to start."

So while I sympathize with a generation of youngsters who now suffer with general incompetence at the hands of a delinquent secondary educational system (and probably lazy parents, too), I know there's hope out there too in the form of (some) motivated students.

Sorry, Archilover, this is not aimed at you personally.  But this forum sees many, many of these kinds of posts... and I'm commenting on the number of them and trend they indicate, not your particular situation.  I wish you luck with your project.

Feb 4, 16 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

achilover-here is my advise and the bottom section called "premise over" will make less sense if you skip the premise ---------- i loved the library in school and spent hours roaming the subterranean book stacks, finding books that had only been checked out once in 25+ years. i still find peace among the books....................the most memorable rarely checked out book was a state by state study of best places for wind farms. the state i was in was number 3 and this book had only been checked out once. you couldnt really buy the book anyway, a limited scholastic print done at the university i was at, and sure enough as I suspected within 5 years of me telling my buddy who knew people there were people pitching the whole thing mainly based on this book's research, but there was a married couple who had been doing it since the book was published. see they had probably been the only other person to have checked out this book...........another time as a wager for beer I was asked to find a German version of the US Constitution, this was late 90's, no babblefish, no published version on web, after a few hours found a copy of a German scholar who had translated the whole thing painstakingly accurate to the English of the era. had been checked out a few times, the person I handed it to I think checked it out and never returned it, as if it was gold.................although the Internet appears Omnipotent there is SO much information located in hardly viewed books that is not covered or published. moreover, when you search on the Internet you can not search historical context or what amounts to entire chapters and books on your subject, because in those chapters your "keyword" may only appear once...............books take blood, sweat and tears to publish, and internet posts are a fart in the wind.............prior to everyone's dependency on the Internet for research, people were lazy enough to not bother reading forewards and publisher's intros or follow the footnotes. one semester we were reading archispeak txts that referenced Derrida and Deleuze, the whole deconstructionism and folds. in a matter of a few weeks, when we were asked to do research on the papers i found a "source" text and read it in class. My professor immediately asked "how did you find that text?" as I read he said "everyone listen to that again, this is the point." I was reading from Edmund Husserl's text "Origin of Geometry", which Derrida did a massive research intro thesis text on, whom many architects were referencing his other texts, to which the philosophers pointed out many of his other texts were based on his piece on Husserl's. The Deleuze texts also referenced Husserl. doesnt take a rocket scientist to understand the Origin of the whole fucking 'style'. ..........premise over - Virtuvius wrote about war Machines. Maybe Koolhaas mentions some architect who designed walls and towers for war in his text on the Panoptican, or google architect in prison?..........my guess is you went straight to that bit or sped read the first. if speed reading worked for those who did it, they would be billionaire geniuses, but the reality is there is a second part to reading "comprehension". no one who speed reads could ever read any philosophical work by Immanual Kant for instance and comprehend even 10% of it, its a load of regurgitating bullshit if they say they can. DATA collection is not comprehension. Even before the Internet most people couldn't read worth a shit. premise over again - go to the library get a stack of books on Military Architecture and books on museums and fucking READ.......... No one knows how to FUCKING READ. So what if it takes 10 minutes a page to Comprehend Leibniz, when you get done you coumd at least claim you are one of a handful of people who actually understand the text..........whats a musuem? that one is so easy even before the internet you could have used a dictionary to figure that one out. read a book by an expert on Museums, maybe there are 3 paragraphs, written by an expert in the field with decades of research, those 3 paragraphs may be the most Comprehensive statement ever made on museums, but its never been republished out side the boom. Fucking read. If i sound like a madman, consider yourself uneducated. as i used to say as a kid 'if I can understand you but you cannot u derstand me, thsn clearly I am more intelligent. and what you are saying is Boring!"......my 7 year old daughter already sunds like that - thats when i collect on my berr wager.

Feb 5, 16 7:38 am  · 
 · 

http://www.cantigny.org/museums

I don't know who designed this but is is immense huge

http://www.pritzkermilitary.org/

This is in Chicago was designed by the TVS Design Chicago Office, the principal there was involved and may be able to help you with some detailed information, he is a very generous person if asked politely.

I hope this gets your project off the ground.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Feb 5, 16 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

archilover, quondam just gave you an ass load of info to run with.

Feb 6, 16 9:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: