Archinect
anchor

Personal Service Corporation

BulgarBlogger

Is a small 2-person office where one person owns over 95% of the company shares considered a Personal Service Corporation? Can I register it as a Professional Service Corporation and not have to pay a 35% flat tax? The 35% rule is really getting to me... 

Thanks!

Feb 2, 16 9:42 pm
Carrera

Just do an LLC and pay simple personal income tax, then it's a matter of maneuvering to lower the lower rate... I'd tell you how to that but you're an architect and you wouldn't do it even if you knew how.

Feb 3, 16 1:55 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

LLC's are not legally allowed to offer architectural services in NYS... I went through this when completing my IDP... And the state rarely prosecutes so that's why there is an influx, bit purely from amlegal point of view, LLC's should not be offering architectural services. Only certain entities are recognized. PC's and PLLCs are viable, but if I want to practice in multiple states, some states don't recognize PLLC's. The best option therefore is a PC, but Im not sure about the personal service corporation vs professional corporation. Thanks!

Feb 3, 16 8:12 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS
null pointer

Carrera, if you're the sole owner, a PC gives you some pretty huge tax advantages.

Feb 3, 16 8:39 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

are S Corps allowed? Either way I think you should prob talk to a lawyer....

Feb 3, 16 8:58 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

never mind - i see they're discussed in the link above

Feb 3, 16 9:04 am  · 
 · 
gruen
I am a single owner Scorp PC.
Feb 3, 16 9:33 am  · 
 · 

Make the LLC a holding company that owns the corporation that does architecture, preferably with an overseas address in Ireland or some other tax haven. Then have another holding company use the US as tax haven. Of course you have to have some pretty big commissions in order to cover the fees, but they become negligible at a certain level.

U$A!

Feb 3, 16 9:39 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

NY is tax-expensive, plenty of ways around it ^ if the income amounts to anything…simplest are real estate LLC’s that you borrow from….and as everyone knows architects are all too poor to ever pay them back.

Feb 3, 16 10:52 am  · 
 · 

Bulgar,

One way to do it is:

Setup a PLLC in NYS and set up a 'subsidiary LLC or associate LLC as a simple LLC where one member of the LLC is the PLLC from NYS.

Other states will recognize the PLLC up to that level even if they don't have a PLLC. An LLC can often have just one member so the LLC's sole member can be the PLLC. Remember, persons as defined by laws can mean not just natural persons but also business entities.

Therefore, you solve your problem.

Others have also suggested some interesting ideas like what Miles said. You have options.

Feb 3, 16 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

tax havens.... hmmm.... Bahamas.... <Looks around for IRS tax people>

Feb 3, 16 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

Bulgar, you could always hire Richard for legal and financial advice.

Feb 4, 16 9:19 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

fun fact about NYS: a holding company cannot own an architecture company unless you happen to have one of the old legacy corporations that are still allowed to practice architecture while still holding onto a C-corp/Non-PC status. There is an actual market for those.

Feb 4, 16 9:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: