Archinect
anchor

Topics/Books that an archteictural designer should know...

Beshoy Adel

Hello, I'm a senior student in an architectural engineering school in Egypt and there are plans for me to live abroad (either in the US or Australia) when I finish the academic year (next July) anyway I took a look at a US (California) ARE exam (architectural registration) and I found that many topics were not covered or loosely covered in my school (Such as environmental considerations, local regulations, and some others) anyway I need you to give me a list of the topics I should self-study to help me be a good architect in the US or Australia, and topics I should learn to help me with the ARE (or the equivalent in Australia) and maybe some books you recommend to me to make me up for competition in either countries.

Note: I need to extend my knowledge to be able to compete with architects who graduated from America/Australian schools during these 5 months before my graduation so any topics that will help me do so even if they were not directly connected to architecture are helpful.

Note: Sorry if my English was not fluent enough.

Jan 30, 16 12:10 pm
awaiting_deletion

compete as an arrchitect? ARE study books by Ballast (good for practice as well). Francis D. K. Ching books. Architectural Graphic Standards is the bible in USA.

Jan 30, 16 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
justinritchey17

If you want to practice in America, then I suggest getting a MArch in the US, because you can only get licensed as an architect in the US if you either get an accredited architecture degree in America or Canada, or have a license in a different country. Either way, you have to meet the intern development program (IDP) requirements and take the ARE, the only difference is that a foreign architecture license can substitute for the education requirement. So you can either get licensed in Egypt, and then get an internship and take the ARE in America, or get a accredited degree in America. Getting a master of architecture in the US would be easier and would give you the knowledge you need for the ARE. Also, it would be hard to get an internship/job without an American degree in America. I am not sure about Australia's requirements, but I think it is similar. Check the NCARB website for more info on practicing in the US.

Jan 31, 16 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
joanvines

I also want the architecture plan book.I searched many resources but i did not get the enough details.I am sure different types resources giving the valuable information about the plan but i did not get the genuine resources.Now i am took the guidelines from custom essay writing service.I hope this forum will give good information about plan and sketch.If you have any information please share to me.

Feb 1, 16 6:30 am  · 
 · 

Image of the City by Kevin Lynch

Life and Death of Great American Cities by Jane Jacobs

A Visual Dictionary of Architecture by F. D. K. Ching (any book by Ching will be helpful)

Over and OUT

Peter N

Feb 1, 16 7:12 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Architect?  by Roger Lewis.

Feb 1, 16 9:13 am  · 
 · 
johnbrendt

Interesting

Dec 26, 16 8:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: