Archinect
anchor

Employment prospects for architect. Where is it better? In the United States, Europe or in UK?

VanGogh200203

I study in Ukraine in the secondary school. I thought about architecture, because I would like to do something connecting with art in future. So, I decided to be an architect, because I hearsd that they earn a lot of money. In the sphere of art it is the most profitable profession.  I wanted to enter to the faculty of architecture in Czech Republic, because study there is free and universities are very good. Some days ago I wrote the girl, who studys in the Czech Technical University in Prague, and asked her about employment prospects for architects in Czech Republic. She said that they are not very good. Yes, university gives a diploma which is listed in all of Europe. But if I want to go to France or Spain (for example) I also need to know the language of this country and all the architectural terminology. What should I do in this case? Where is it better learn, and in general where  architecture demand?

Jan 30, 16 11:13 am
archiwutm8

Lol, Architecture won't bring you money. In the UK Architecture students have one of the lowest employment rates, similar to art history. The average salary for a fully licensed architect in the UK is around the regions of 35-40K and you normally get to this level by 30ish. You chose the wrong profession to "make money".

Jan 30, 16 11:29 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Money is fine in my area.
Jan 30, 16 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

So youre telling me that in the Ukraine everyone thinks being an architect is magnanimous, but in all honesty there is no money or jobs in it. But the movies are so realistic... Bollywood must be getting very realistic in their films too. So many Indians are spending all their parents money to go to school over here to become magnanimous bathroom partition designers. 

I've literally never crapped in nicer movie theater (where I learnt all about magnanimous architects) restrooms these days...it's so great the advancements we have been making in architecture! 

I can only imagine how wonderful it'd be to take a dump in Canada!

Jan 30, 16 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Come on, someones gotta do it without Ricky boy around...

Jan 30, 16 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Should of done engineering or construction

Jan 30, 16 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

DeTwan, you need to look up "magnanimous".

Jan 30, 16 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I bet the prospects in Ukraine are better than most "developed" economies, though it might be a struggle to get started.

DeTwan, what the fuck are you on, you bozo?

Jan 30, 16 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

When I looked up magnanimous it was synonymous  with 'benevolent'...serving a charitable cause rather than a profit-making purpose...truth

what's up you bozo sameolddoctor! Youre the one visiting this goofy ass website...

Jan 30, 16 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

..this sites not just gonna troll itself...durrr

Jan 30, 16 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Archiwitum, what exactly are your sources on that? Are you in the UK? None of your figures sound accurate, unless you're talking in pounds, in which case 40k is quite a good salary (and well above commensurate average pay in other countries, relatively speaking).

I seem to only ever hear people complain about the pay in architecture when they had a ridiculous expectation of it going in. I'm in the ~28k GBP range in London, which is quite a decent salary for a somewhat-fresh graduate. Prior I worked in Non Sequitur's market for two years and also made a decent wage there (less than UK salary, but with more buying power).

And with the other comment - London is blowing up at the moment, it seems like everyone is hiring or on the brink of hiring, if you're here with a visa. Good luck trying to get sponsored; otherwise its easily the best place I've been for work.

Jan 31, 16 5:38 am  · 
 · 
Zaina

the Arab gulf. not kidding... it's where the money is and the area is still under development, but surely it isn't the best place to learn architecture.

Jan 31, 16 8:33 am  · 
 · 
justinritchey17

New architects are struggling everywhere in the Western world. In America, there is somewhat of a demand for Experienced architects, with 10 + yrs experience because of the retirement of the baby boomers in the US. However, for new architects, there is more graduates than jobs and is very competitive. However versus the UK and Europe, architects are paid more in the US, because we work more. Also, the standard of living in the US is cheaper (unless you live in NYC or San Francisco). So if money is a concern then you will make more in the US if you can get a job. If you do come to the US you will need an American accredited degree because NCARB does not accept any foreign degrees except from Canada. Or you can get licensed in the EU and then use that license as the education requirement in America, but you will still have to get American internship hours and take the ARE to get licensed in the US. For licensing wise it is easier to get a license in the EU or the UK, but the pay is less than America.

Jan 31, 16 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

It is not easier to get licensed in the UK as they do not accept foreign degrees as Part II equivalent, thereby forfeiting Part III eligibility. You need a UK M.Arch to get Part II certification.

Jan 31, 16 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
justinritchey17

What I meant was that NCARB requires a longer internship process with specific categories and 7 exams, versus the straight forward internship and one exam for the UK. If VanGogh200203 wanted to get licensed in either UK or the US they would have to get a professional degree in that country, the only difference is that in the US you get paid more but takes longer to get licensed while in the UK you are paid less but get licensed faster than in the US. No matter what they would need to get a professional degree in the country they want to work in.

Jan 31, 16 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Bench I'm a part 1 graduate somewhat fresh as well on 45K, I'm on the high scale in comparison to anyone who got their part 3 done. If you look at most postings on websites the salaries are ridiculous low the amount of years most people put into to get their licenses. The hiring is only for certain positions with certain BIM skills due to the 2016 BIM mandate that the government requires jobs to be BIM standardised. People now expect all projects to follow this standard hence the hiring boom. But fresh graduate hiring is still low in comparison to other graduates.

Feb 1, 16 4:42 am  · 
 · 
Victhor

Forget about Architecture if you want money. And since you talked about Spain, I'm a graduated Architect in Spain, but I'm not an architect, because there's no job here for them. Here, architecture is a hobby you do for fun, not to earn money, about 80% graduated architects in Spain can't do money from architecture, they usually end up studying other things. However, in Ukraine and some countries in eastern Europe might be better.

Feb 4, 16 5:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: