Archinect
anchor

IPD or construction firms as career alternatives

StarchitectAlpha

Hi all, I'm trying to get out of working in architecture firms, personally it's just insanely boring to me. Additionally it seems to just not hold any value to clients. I would like to actually feel like I'm building something rather than just drawing chained to my desk. I want to actually talk to people at work and visit the site instead of just clicking clicking clicking. It seems a good way to actually have value for clients is working at a integrated project delivery firm where you work along side the financial and construction side of things and actually figure out making a logical and efficient building. That seems so much more interesting then another wall section. Like wise working at a construction firm, contractors always seem like the ones who control meetings and most sway with the client. What type of job could you actually get with them tho? Where could you start without starting back at 20$ /HR and working for a small scale sleezy dude who uses you while you use them the experience to get a better job. Already been there done that. What is actually available when switching to these places?

Jan 28, 16 12:25 pm
sameolddoctor

Funny coming from a person whos screen name is "StarchitectAlpha"

Get ur contractors license, if possible

Jan 28, 16 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

didn't you just post that you were pumped on taking the AREs?

What a difference a day makes.

Jan 28, 16 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
StarchitectAlpha

stoked on feeling as though I've got some value beyond drafting but looking at the older guys, they're still essentially just drafters. I'm not a designer, I like the tech stuff and I want to figure out how to build stuff not figure out how to draw stuff, that's the conclusion I've come to but I can't seem to figure anything out besides throwing the past 10 years out and starting over. Are there any side steps.

Jan 28, 16 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
proto

find a large contractor (think at least regional if not national) and talk to them about their professional managerial track and what they're looking for

project engineer -> project manager -> project executive

it may have a lot of the same drudgery, but may also be a little more financially rewarding as you gain experience and there is likely a lot of field time.

Jan 28, 16 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Anob

Staracrchitect,

I've worked in construction and switched to architecture to learn more technical information. I plan to return to construction management once I complete all my A.R.E. exams. My first employer once said that its easier to train an architect to become a construction manager than it is to train a construction manager to become an architect. 

My suggestion is stick with architecture for awhile longer. Take a CM certificate course. Estimating certification, BIM certification for VDC

Jan 28, 16 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
StarchitectAlpha

Thanks Anob what project types do you work on? 

Jan 28, 16 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

like this anob?

http://www.icpm.biz/index.php/icpm_site/certified-manager

i know the cad certification courses are really frowned on.  do people actually put some value to these?  if so, who?

Jan 28, 16 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I did the same as you're thinking and I'm similar to you as in I'm way more interested in being involved in technology and design than I was interested in the politics of architecture, although the desire to be a designer will last but I was never going to be a creative architect. The money is far better though and this is just an example but last week I was offered a role as animation head and yesterday I was offered the role of BIM coordinator for 60-70K gbp which is a relatively high salary for a young person.

Jan 28, 16 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Anob

Construction: Healthcare, R&D, and Retail

Architecture: Multi-family residential, single-family, commercial, office, retail, and infrastructure

Jan 28, 16 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

I meant like, je dunn, kiewit, or if starchitect got their certification could they go to any large contractor like that and get a good chance at a good job?

Jan 28, 16 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Being a PM or Project Exec at a large GC (Kewitt, Mortenson, McGrath, Clayco, Skanska, etc) will result in much of the same - sitting at a desk, doing spreadsheets, occasionally visiting the site. You will get paid more, though.

If you really want to go between architecture and construction you should look for a smaller design-build firm in a second or third-tier city where it is easier and cheaper to build and unions don't hold so much sway.

Jan 28, 16 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
Anob

Im only familiar with keiwet so it might determine what part of the country you're in. Places like keiwet usual takes those with acivil engineering degree. I' would say those certifications are helpful for individuals with no construction experience. I also determines if you feel you can handle the job. An estimating certification is very valuable. It gets you through the door and leads to a manager position if you're talented enough.  You might be able to go into construction firm pushing rfi's and change orders and still more money than 4yr experienced architect in some places. 

Jan 28, 16 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

hmm.  well, it sounds like starchitect is closer to 10 years out instead of 4.  if that experience is in architecture, then surely there would be experience with how buildings go together and how to read a set of drawings.

i think it sounds like he's interested in a position where his time is spent looking at buildings, talking about buildings, and thinking about buildings.  i'm in a similar position, so i guess that's why i'm asking for him ;)

a cost estimator wouldn't get to spend much time with the actual building right?  they're involved early in the process, trying to get the job, rather than working through details and how to make it come together right?  so it sounds like the other certifications wouldn't necessarily be that helpful, especially with an architect background instead of civil background?

thanks for the perspective.

Jan 28, 16 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
Anob

Sorry I was preoccupied getting these bathroom partitions out the office.

There are big real estate/ construction firms that want code experts. These are great jobs for architects usually offering $100k and higher. I've met managers with project management certifications. I spoke to a CM who told me a certification form here http://cmaanet.org/becoming-ccm is big in the industry. 

In my experience in construction the owners simply want you to know how to put a building together and flexible enough to learn something new and be happy not doing architecture. They are especially afraid of people leaving architecture to get into the construction.  

Hope this helps. (Im trying to get out myself!)

Jan 28, 16 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
StarchitectAlpha

Yeah I guess I want a non existent position where you don't pigeon holed. I'm coming across two options, government where it's boring but you get plenty of time off to combat burn out or attempting to go out on my own. I'm 4 years out and I need to some decisions I look at the older guys and they look sad and trapped because of family and I'm watching friends not in architecture start getting great benefits, private offices and amazing time off. I'm worried I'm just heading to another layoff in a recession but feel like realistically all I am is a drafter or as someone else said, a revit hand. I'm not sure if I can stomachs once again going through the process of working for 15$ an hour at an intern position for a developer or property manager was hoping there was some possibility to sidestep.

Jan 29, 16 10:25 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

^  You have seen the road and you don't like where it leads.  I know the feeling.  The suggestions above about smaller design/build firms sound good.  I would only caution you that jumping ship now may-I only say may-be bad timing since we are probably late in the up-phase of the construction cycle.  Lots of talk about another recession.  Who knows.

If you don't really want to do a straight architecture career, why bother with the ARE?  You have already noted that it doesn't seem to impress anybody outside of the profession (a correct perception).

Even a relatively scut job as some kind of assistant superintendent might put you on an escalator to something better in a few years.

Unless you're one of these people who is head over heels in love with the profession, it is a relatively boring and poorly compensated way to spend your life, particularly in view of the investment required to enter.

Do something soon.  The longer you wait the taller the prison fence.

Jan 29, 16 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

What he said^

Have you ever thought about being a realtor. I know that it's a 'gopher' job, but it will keep you busy and not tied in front of a computer all day. And after you sell a couple places it is very rewarding. Also pays way better.

Good for you realizing that it is not for you, most ppl cant pull the wool off their eyes once they are this deep.

I would also think that perhaps some smaller development companies might like some one with a design back ground, that can read drawings, knows some codes...just a thought

Jan 29, 16 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I don't disagree with anyone above, except that I do think that getting the architect licence is worthwhile, especially if you are looking into a venue change in which you might be the only architect on hand.  I know of a few realtor/architects around my area who seem to be doing really well

Jan 29, 16 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

^  I agree that having the license won't hurt.  The question is whether it makes sense for the OP to delay his departure from architecture in order to get it.  It's a cost/benefit kind of calculation.  By all means, continue working on it while you are evaluating your other options.

Jan 29, 16 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

^Why bother getting your license if you plan to quit anyhow? An architecture license doesn't really so much outside architecture really.

Jan 29, 16 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

^ The thing about a license is this -- if you leave the profession before licensure, you'll almost certainly never be able to come back and get your license later. It just won't be practical for you to do so.

If you see your career being one -- like mine -- where you hop in and out of the profession from time to time for very good reasons, you'll be better off completing the registration process before you hop along to something else.  IMHO, if you're relatively close to completing the process now, it would be short-sighted not to take it the rest of the way.

Also, every time I worked outside the profession I felt there was a decided advantage for me to have my license as an important credential.

Good luck.

Jan 29, 16 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Zulqar

not sure people in this thread are still interested in the topic. i would consider the following-

have architect license first. find a job with a healthcare focused architectural firm involved in IPD or integrated project delivery. learn a lot about hospital design concepts. learn public speaking and facilitating workshops. 

then, if you decide to work for a healthcare IDP contractor, they would love to hire a licensed architect with a much higher salary. 

try having CCM and PMP certificates under your belt as well.

you could also work for a hospital owner with a lot more influence on the whole game as a licensed architect/ owner.

Apr 23, 20 11:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: