Archinect
anchor

Best European City for Architecture Students

justinritchey17

Hi, I am going to Barcelona for study abroad this Fall 2016, so I am preparing for. I have already had two of my study abroad meetings, and they give us a Fall Break of about 9 days. The school wants us to plan ahead and recommend we leave Spain for the week, so I am thinking of places to go. We also have three day weekends, so I can always do weekend excursions as well. The study abroad program includes a field trip to South and North Spain, including Madrid, so I would want to go somewhere out of Spain. What would be a good city for an architecture student to go to for a week or even a weekend that is relatively cheap to stay and get to from Barcelona? I won't have a whole lot of money, and I am really interested in New Urbanism, preservation, and history, so I would prefer a city with a compact urban structure and with layers of varying historic architecture that is somewhat cheap. I know the typical cities are Rome, Paris, London, and Berlin, but I am open to other options as well that are less known and cheaper. I have thought of Istanbul (if safe), Budapest, Athens, Krakow/Warsaw, Prague, Munich, Morocco (even though no Europe), Lisbon, Edinburgh. Professors have also suggested that I could stay in Europe after my program and backpack with my fellow students, but it would require a Visa. Right now the program is exactly 90 days, allowing me to stay without a Visa, but any longer would require me to pay for one. I am open to anything and I appreciate any advice. 

Jan 27, 16 8:55 pm
ShakeyDeal
Sounds like a great opportunity. I just returned from a semester abroad in Florence. Was able to do quite a bit of traveling. If you are considering Italy, I have to say, you can't go wrong with Florence and Rome, but for a more genuine experience, Bologna is the city to see! Historic, obviously but not handcuffed to it. The city is popping with modern contemporary culture/arts, etc.

Also consider Northern Europe. I stayed a week in Copenhagen, a well known city for architecture and urban planning. Amsterdam. Stockholm. I know a few students went to Basel, Switzerland and saw some amazing stuff (hot spring baths). The flights up there are cheap. Have fun!
Jan 28, 16 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
thatwaybro

Roma, Venezia and Firenze. Italy is such a dream. OMG I hope we can go there again. A place that's beginning to suck is the West End part of Vancouver. These new buildings here are HIDEOUS!!!

The views are legendary, but the building itself is an eye sore!

Jan 28, 16 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
justinritchey17

Thanks for the comments. I might go to Rome for 4 days, Florence for 3 days, and Venice for 2 days. I also thought about going to Randstad (Amsterdam(4 days)/Rotterdam(3 days)/Utrecht(2 days) or Lisbon and Oporto. Is 3 cities in 9 days long enough or should I narrow it to 2 or one cities? Also, what are some good towns in South France or Italy for weekend trips on my 3 day weekends, if I have time on a weekend? Carcassonne, Nimes, Naples/Pompeii, etc? Also is 2 days in Vence justice? My friend told me that Venice was a waste when he went and one day would be the most, but I thought I would give it two days. Thanks for the comments.

Jan 28, 16 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

Bratislava 

Jan 28, 16 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Lugano, Switzerland. 

Jan 28, 16 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
justinritchey17

I just learned that the Venice Architecture Biennale will be held while I am in Europe. How long should I spend in Venice? Two days? A week? If I go to Florence and Rome, would two days be enough in Venice for the Biennale?

Jan 29, 16 12:16 am  · 
 · 
ShakeyDeal

Venice is touristy on the surface, but there's a mysteriousness about. Get lost, slow down. Beautiful as all hell.  At least a day for Biennale, but its large enough to spend multiple days.

Jan 29, 16 2:43 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

Milan has some interesting stuff too. But if you only have time for one Italian city, go to Venice.

Also, schedule a week to wander around Prague and the Czech Republic. In particular, go see Cesky Krumlov.

Jan 29, 16 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
mszczere
I would highly recommend a weekend in Krakow
Jan 29, 16 7:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: