Archinect
anchor

Construction Management.....

manoverde84

Hello, does anyone work in the construction field? If so, I am in the process of finishing up an Auto-Cad certificate with a specialization in architecture. After that I was going to complete a certificate in construction management which leads to a masters if I want.

My question is if the combination of having an auto-cad certificate, being proficient in Cad, able to draw and read blueprints, and then having the construction management skills to bid, estimate, and such make me a bit more  competitive in this field? 

How helpful would this combo be if I pursue other companies such as in Engineering, Architecture, etc? If no one knows could they recommend a construction forum that would have more info. Also, would this set of skills warrant going all the way to masters degree or would the certificates be enough? 

Thanks 

Jan 27, 16 8:51 pm
Carrera

It's the perfect combo for reasons you stated.

Jan 27, 16 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Everyone and their grandmothers are proficient at CAD. The other skills you list should be where you focus your efforts.
Jan 28, 16 7:06 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I sneaked a smirk reading this. Everyone in the AEC industry knows how to read blueprints and use CAD, most have degrees where using CAD is just normal. Most estimators come from one of the AEC roles beforehand then became an estimator so more or less all know how to use CAD. Construction management roles don't usually come from certificates, do you have any prior experience?

Jan 28, 16 8:50 am  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Please smirk away. I don't mind looking like a fool if it does teach me something. I expected CAD to be less of a thing for smaller firms where people basically went from working to foreman to project manager, estimator etc. I'm not looking necessarily to go to work for the big firms but I was just curious as to what they look for. I'm talking smaller contractor mid size companies. 

So in other words you guys are saying that it's pretty common and a pre-requisite for list ppl who want to do project management to have the CAD skills. The program I'm in has a foundational cert which if you want you can continue to a masters. I was wondering if this was worth it if a post bac certificate would suffice. 

Jan 28, 16 11:38 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Manover, I recommend looking into job postings for that field. What skills and qualifications are required? Let that help inform your educational investment. Also, no one says blueprints anymore. They're just called drawings. Also don't be afraid to call up CM offices and ask questions. Explain you're a student. The worst that will happen is that no one replies back. But if they want to talk you can get good information.

Also if you're specializing in architecture I'd familiarize yourself with revit. Knowing sketchup is pretty typical and very easy to learn. If you're a student you can get all the autodesk student version software for free.
Jan 28, 16 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

CAD cert is not worth much in the working world. A master's cert is a joke, unless you want to work for Autodesk as a CAD teacher.

Work experience is what will get you ahead, not resume padding certificates.

Jan 28, 16 11:53 am  · 
 · 
manoverde84

I understand but I lack the experience because I graduated with my BA in an unrelated field and couldn't find work. I'm making the switch now into the construction industry. It's back to booming where I'm at and I figured I'd pick up CAD at the local occupational center and then go for a masters degree in Construction management at the local university. It's obvious that experience trumps education but I was wondering what could be possibly be done in my situation. I've invested a lot into the CAD program and I've already applied to the masters. 

Thanks for the candid discussion though. I appreciate the real deal scoop 

Jan 28, 16 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

No Form, great idea. I'm not shy and might as well so the legwork and get out there. It died my hurt. Thanks!

Jan 28, 16 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i think the path you're on is fine for getting your foot in the door.  as has been suggested, for most related fields you're going to need to know CAD of some sort and how to read drawings.  if you get your start through a certification program instead of college or job experience, i don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

the certifications aren't going to make you a unique or particularly suitable candidate for any available position, but what you learn through the certification program may help you get the entry level experience you need.  in addition to engineering, architecture, and construction management, you can look at getting started drawing shop drawings for pretty much any industry that builds stuff. 

Jan 28, 16 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Excellent. I figured since it was an occupational center that the certs were supposed to prepare you to hit the ground running at an entry level position. Apparently no matter what education doesn't trump experience. That's ok. I'm willing to start at the very bottom. But what is the very bottom? 

Jan 28, 16 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

^ The "bottom" is no where close to the "bottom" you would find in architecture. Follow the money.

Jan 28, 16 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

the bottom might be something like $15/hr as a draftsman, but i would think at a lot of places there will be a reasonable path up the ladder from there.  just search online for whoever is looking for a draftsman, and use the position to try to meet other people at that company, and let those people know you would like to move into more of a design or management position.

Jan 28, 16 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

OP do this if you want quick decent money. Get a revit cert > go to an architect or engineer studio work for shit money for a year so you understand some basics > move over to construction or surveying doing revit > be bim manager > bim coordinator and earn 100K. Sorted.

Jan 28, 16 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Well sorted. Thanks man! Yes I'll work anywhere for whatever pay. There are options at my school to do a specialization in revit so I wil jump on that. 

Jan 28, 16 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Just to recap do you guys think to just stick with CAD and work until I learn enough to manage, bid all that later OR go for the management masters? Or do both. The program is flexible and I can work and go to school online. Your thoughts 

Jan 28, 16 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
carlo101

manovere84,

I am in the same boat as you (sorta of). I am more interested at how buildings come together than vs designing them. So I have been looking a this Architectural Technology degree at an community college and then I plan on transferring into the state university to finish out my degree in construction management.

I got my first taste of construction management for the last 6 months I have gotten see an parking lot go from start to finish. It was nice to see something you had drawn actually come to life. But anyways are you in a position to where you can get some experience in the AEC industry?

Jan 28, 16 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I'd personally do the management course later on when you have experience cause no one will want to hire you in any management type of role being a fresh person in the industry.

Jan 28, 16 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

I didn't figure they would so that's why I was hoping to work my way through it part time. Take 2 years of solid work while doing the degree part time online. 

Jan 28, 16 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Anyone else? 

Jan 29, 16 1:28 am  · 
 · 
manoverde84

I forgot to mention that my family is in the construction biz and my father in law has a small drywall contracting firm. I'm not that worried about initial job prospects but I would like to cut my teeth at other forms on my own before I go to him or my family for work. Plus im in another state so that makes it difficult. If I really needed the job I would move. But as far as entry level, I'm not just looking for a possibility but more of a sure thing under reasonable circumstances. If I put myself out there, no experience just education what entry level work could I possibly get? What should I look out for in the classifieds as every level? 

Feb 1, 16 10:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: