Archinect
anchor

CA, CD and X time balance

arantiacus

Survey: What percentage of your time do you spend doing CD's or managing the CD process (SD, DD, project design meetings, engineering coord. etc.) vs. Construction Admin or another office tasks (Marketing, Office mgt. etc). Is it common to  production staff do the bulk of shop drawing review, logs, RFI's, Addenda, inquires from contractors? The old days, there used to be a staff in architecture offices that "took over" the project once in construction. I know this is not as common these days...maybe still available in more stable firms.

Jan 27, 16 12:18 pm
chigurh

25 - 50 - 25 

schematic/DD - DD/CDs - CA 

if the client is questionable push more of the CA into both schematic and CDs.

The days of specialized roles are over - you either run a project or you don't.

Jan 27, 16 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Was a CM on a big project with a Top 50 E/A. They were hourly on CA and put their CA guy in the trailer with a computer & plotter and every time you asked him a question he would (with backup from the office) crank out supplemental drawings to answer the question. In the end there were more supplemental drawings than CD’s…low balled the fee and made up for it in CA…. that’s the gig to strive for.

Jan 27, 16 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

That sounds like my definition of purgatory.

Jan 27, 16 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

lol tduds... depends on the delivery method.

In my old practice, I did several repair/update type jobs; big stuff in the 6 million mark.  The drawings were, at best, just sort of a rough idea to talk our way through the building department and wag some budget numbers at; so they were not good drawings at all and more like marked up photographs.  

Twice a week I was on-site with the GC and the Owner's rep looking at the area of work, making decisions, sketching solutions, and stamping it right then and there.... so 90% CA.  I enjoyed it; a lot working hand in hand with the trades while it was under construction.  Learned a lot too about how stuff is really done in the field.

So just think about being in the field with a mason, holding bricks and stacking them until you get a profile and detail you like that fits that particular scenario; snap a photo and issue it as the solution.  Lots of fun as well as helping to earn you 'street cred' (and lots of new work leads) with the contractors...

Jan 27, 16 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

60-35-5 (right now 95-0-5 until the construction begins, may flip more to 30-65-5 depends on how smooth construction goes).  we have stuff for marketing/other office stuff.

Jan 27, 16 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

The 25-50-25 thing seems ok.

Wishy washy client = more time in DD and CD.

Crappy Contractor = more time in CA.  

Sometimes you can't control either. 

Jan 27, 16 4:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: