Archinect
anchor

favorite stone slab?

awaiting_deletion

I'm in love with Portoro Marble lately, how about you?

Jan 24, 16 1:09 pm
senjohnblutarsky

I like some of the flavors of soapstone. 

That and it's pretty darn cool as a countertop material.  No one around here carries it, though. 

Jan 25, 16 8:21 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Does Labradorite count?

Jan 25, 16 8:49 am  · 
 · 
The Rosetta Stone is pretty cool.
Jan 25, 16 8:59 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Jet Mist granite is my favorite. It has subtle patterns and looks particularly good in a brushed finish:

Soapstone varies a lot in hardness, but my favorite is Churchill--it's very hard, with a green tint that looks almost black when it's oiled regularly, and it's mined in the US:

Side note, if you're in New England, I've worked with many different shops and these are hands-down the best: http://www.morningstarmarble.com/. They have very high-tech measuring, layout and cutting systems and excellent customer service.

Jan 25, 16 9:32 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

I love Churchill Soapstone. I've had 2 clients pick it, very nice.

Nov 6, 19 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

jet mist granite looks awesome, and it's granite.

Jan 25, 16 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
jacobshirley

The portoro marble is interesting but I'm not a fan of heavy grains. I think it's too easy to distract from the design of the space when the stone is noisy. Never underestimate something sexy like - http://spec.ninja/material/2246/Countertops+Summit+White+Daltile+Granite

I currently have a client that wants a huge 12' slab for a fireplace surround in a high end resort penthouse. I'm thinking a clean book matched slab. - http://spec.ninja/material/7228/Countertops+Aura+Cosentino+Dekton

Dec 22, 16 10:22 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I'm loving this subtle striped countertop with matching backsplash.

May 26, 17 11:14 am  · 
 · 
proto

^^^ nice! not sure if it's the same, but used a marble like that in our shower

i've seen a lot of nice quartzites recently with great veining

May 26, 17 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I haven't figured out what that is but was looking for a quartz (manufactured) that had a nice linear veining like that anyways.... so if you have seen one, please say so!

May 26, 17 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
proto

i've been unimpressed with the quartz patterns so far. Try quartzite, actual stone, same bomber characteristics for kitchen use. Pental had a ton of white based ones last I was there. We have one in our kitchen that's quite nice

May 26, 17 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Yeah, I don't think it exists in manufactured stone. I'll look at the natural stone ones. Thanks.

May 26, 17 9:58 pm  · 
 · 

Every time I got to ABC in Brooklyn I fall in love. Last time it was with this slab, which I made a table out of:

May 26, 17 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Slate SlabRock

For current and future MST3K fans, the many names of David Ryder.

May 26, 17 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
proto

@tintt

quartzite

marble

May 26, 17 5:13 pm  · 
 · 

That striped marble is sweeeet.

May 26, 17 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I'm really digging the stripes. Need to calm down though, getting too excited.

May 26, 17 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
Beehelp

My present love is black lighting 

Jun 12, 17 10:18 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Whats up with architects' fetish with stone and lighting? I personally love big machinery a d projects under construction. Isnt that more exciting that the newest LED controls or stone slabs? 

Jun 13, 17 8:06 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

No.

Jun 13, 17 11:15 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

This stringy silvery ethereal stuff. 

Jul 16, 17 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I've seen more pleasant hospital operating rooms - or is that one?

Dec 27, 18 7:59 am  · 
 · 
tduds

If you hate contrast, I guess.

Nov 6, 19 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: