Archinect
anchor

Typical cost per square foot for high-end renovation in Manhattan?

ElGrecus

I am trying to compare costs for renovation between San Francisco, Los Angeles and Manhattan. How much would it cost per square foot to do a gut remodel in Manhattan? I am thinking high-end finishes and fixtures. Is there a range that would be realistic?

Jan 23, 16 10:53 am

check out this renovation series on curbed for high end renovation in ny right now. here's the part that may hold your answer:

"

Let's talk about costs. 

Katie: There's a different scope and different timing for every project.

Brent: It comes down to individual condition. Every house is unique, every client is unique, what you want to do with the property is unique, and no two projects are the same. And square footage drives cost. You can do a $200 per square foot renovation but is it going to look like what you see in a magazine? Maybe not."

Somewhere else they originally had said $300sf was closer (in 2014/2015) to a realistic budget. $400sf on up was into very high end.

Jan 23, 16 11:22 am  · 
 · 
ElGrecus

That is great info. Thanks Gregory! Really appreciate it.

Jan 23, 16 11:46 am  · 
 · 

$300sf was closer (in 2014/2015) to a realistic budget. $400sf on up was into very high end.

Jan 23, 16 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

^ cost has to be in the logistics…wonder, are the remodel trades in the mafia…oops, union?

Jan 23, 16 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Miles - that is what I call low-end pretending to be high-end - those ridiculously low numbers...

Try $1000 sqft, and even, yes, hold your breath - $10,000 sf.

I'm laughing like the minions.

Jan 23, 16 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

Agree with the above. A typical residential high-end gut renovation here in Cincinnati costs about $300 per square foot. I'd double that figure for NYC, at minimum.

Jan 23, 16 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

^ If something new or a redo runs $5,000/SF+ it has to be a least half that.

Jan 23, 16 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

there a lot of factors that make things tick up in price fast.

for example you want to change out a few windows on a building over 14 floors (I think) you may need a site safety manager (plan), protection, add in all the paperwork, etc...the window may cost $5k, but to install it and get approvals is going to be like another $30k+

there's night use of elevator operators, union, overtime, prices...

at $10k a sf, its usually a specialty item, where like 5 guys in the world can do it, possibly made in another country, details that are so perfect you have to touch them, and 1:1 mock-ups that get ripped out after installed because the tile hue and sheen is wrong (think hotels on that one)

Jan 23, 16 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

The highest bid (multiple sources) that I've gotten in the past couple of months was 700.

Jan 23, 16 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

wood flooring can run you $100 sf. or more if it looks like something that would be in Versailles.  Traditional in NYC can be ridiculous.  Find a plasterer that knows his trade and is under 50....Modern is more affordable because old world techniques and skills don't apply.  I don't like traditional, but that's where it gets insane.

There's a faucet company that does custom, can run as much as a semester tuition for a sink faucet....solid gold door knobs are not out of the question. (not making any of this up)

Jan 23, 16 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

hey - i'm just pointing to one architect's own statement. 

Jan 24, 16 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

$350-$550 from experience. All depends on what "high-end" means to you. 

Jan 25, 16 10:01 am  · 
 · 
3tk

NYC from what I've seen from middle-high range (before going into the 100k faucets and solid gold door knobs): $1000/sf-$1500sf (installed cost) + 40~60% for soft cost.

Jan 25, 16 10:29 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

1000/sf + to sky is the limit

Jan 25, 16 12:28 pm  · 
 · 

Some years ago I met an arch who was doing a duplex penthouse apartment reno for some sheik's kid to live in while attending NYU. The budget was $40m. 

Jan 25, 16 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: