Archinect
anchor

Weight of resume vs. work samples & skills when hiring.

nonneutral

Hello,

I am currently applying for architecture jobs, and I am a little bit concerned that I am not receiving as many results from my applications as I did when I applied two years ago. I have some gaps in my resume from when I was exploring different alternative career directions after being laid off ~1 year ago, but I think that my work is pretty decent. I would be curious to hear from some others here about how you evaluate resumes (or think that resumes are evaluated) relative to skills and work samples, or how much interest there has been in hiring as this year begins. (Maybe less because of current economic directions?) I am still fairly entry-level - I have a little under a year of experience.

In 2013 I sent off 25 job applications and got four interviews. So far this time I have sent out ten. I know that I need to send out more (I will this weekend), but I am beginning to feel worried about my lower statistical response rate. I hope that it's just because the current winter blizzard is distracting people!

Thanks!

Jan 22, 16 11:36 pm
natematt

There are a lot of factors that contribute to your success in a job hunt, I think 85% of it is who you apply to. Are you applying to firms that are actually hiring, firms you have connections with, firms that fit the kind of person you are?

It may not have very much to do with you and your abilities...

Anyway, I think 10 applications is too small of a number to make any broad statements about. Come back when you get to 50.

Jan 23, 16 2:01 am  · 
 · 
nonneutral

Just sent out a few more. They have all been cold applications to small-midsize firms, a mix of more design-driven and more commercial/developer-oriented/behind-the-scenes, for unadvertised positions. Before I only had luck with the commercial firms anyway. I think a lot of it is that the last time I applied I started to receive personalized rejections well before I got an interview offer, and that response encouraged me to keep trying.

Thanks for the encouragement! Your suggestion that I should be looking at a range of 50+ applications is a helpful source of perspective.

Jan 23, 16 2:14 am  · 
 · 
xx__

Find firms where you want to work, research them, craft portfolio for each of them firm. Think about it as selling yourself.

Jan 23, 16 3:21 am  · 
 · 
Gaps in your resume don't have to be a liability. Use a letter to describe where you've been, what you've done, how you can be useful to the firm.

Show that you're familiar with the firm, that you care about what they do and what they might need.

The portfolio gives you both something to talk about in an interview. Before that point, the employer's thinking is all about the value proposition.
Jan 23, 16 7:36 am  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

That time of year did you apply the last time around?  I always feel that firms usually are on the prowl during the spring/summer months, when work starts heating up. 

Jan 23, 16 9:26 am  · 
 · 

Portfolio, cover letter, resume. All of these elements should be tailored to the job you are applying for. I would say you should pick 2-3 firms you really would like to work for and focus on showing them why your skills are a good fit for them. It also does not hurt to walk into these firms and introduce yourself. Ask if there is a time someone would be available to take you on a tour of the office. Put a face to the resume. Utilize your network and attend events at your local AIA chapter.

Jan 26, 16 9:53 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

timing - not a lot of people hire until closer to summer.

Jan 26, 16 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Reiterating others statements: it's how useful you would be to the firm.  There may be some expectation that you might ask for a higher salary than they want to pay, but you can offset that in the letter by describing the role you're looking at.

I have noticed that a lot of international work has slowed down and the effect is being felt (mostly at the larger firms).  There may be an influx of job-seekers as a result.

Jan 26, 16 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I would think rather than sending out a ton of resumes that you focus on real prospects, on the short term ( have a real need for staff ), and have a second tier of possible longer term prospects ( i.e. firms you want to work for because they are a better office / more interesting work / better pay / etc ) I would search up the local authorities to see who has made major project appellations / rezonings  / real estate purchases and track where the work is going.  Which firms just landed a major contract or go short listed for a major commission.  Knowing the building industry is more than just knowing who the architects are but also the property developers, realtors and local approving authorities.

I know when we land a large contract the first thought is awesome... but the next thought shit how are we going to get this done with our current work load and staff situation. Look for and search out those opportunities.

Jan 27, 16 1:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: