Archinect
anchor

Strength of UVA Undergrad Arch program?

WaffleMan22

Hello everyone,

I was fortunate to be accepted to the UVA undergraduate architecture program today, and I know that they have one of the top 10 graduate programs. I was wondering if anyone knew how good their undergraduate program is! Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!!

Jan 21, 16 6:44 pm
senjohnblutarsky

Last I checked, they hadn't been in the top 10 for graduate in a while. Hasn't stopped people there from making the claim.

Their undergraduate program isn't accredited.  So, if you intend to pursue a license, you'll have to do graduate school. This will be a minimum of 6 years of school (4 undergrad, 2 grad). If you want a faster and more cost effective approach, schools with accredited undergrad degrees should be on your radar.  I'm not saying either version is better.  I'm just making you aware. 

They used to be a beaux arts type schools.  Not sure what they are nowadays.

Jan 22, 16 8:06 am  · 
 · 
proto

They used to be a beaux arts type schools.

Not in a looong time...

They were pretty Modernist when I was an undergrad there back in '93. (shit, am i "old" now?)

VT seems to poll better than UVA right now, but, despite being out of Charlottesville for 20+ yrs now, I'm still pretty confident they run a pretty good school. I can't really speak up for the current faculty, but maybe a recent grad will pipe in with some info. Best I can say is you can't really go wrong by accepting there...solid fundamentals, decent library, good unique architectural provenance/tradition via Jefferson & the Lawn. They seemed to get decent visiting faculty when I was there. Research the faculty best you can and see what they're up to.

Jan 22, 16 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

The faculty is shared and some 4th year studios are also joint - you can also petition to take the electives in any of the grad programs in the school (landscape architecture, architecture history, planning and architecture) which I found was great (I did grad there).  The faculty is a teaching faculty and so are very dedicated and accessible while also encouraging rigorous thought.  The undergraduates that did well in the program have all gone on to great graduate programs  and have had very successful careers (receiving The Architectural League's Young Architects Awards, etc).

It may not be the highest ranked or accredited, but is a well respected program.  The degree from UVA also carries the weight of the greater university as well as your general education coursework is also rigorous.  I enjoyed the conversations I had with the students I TAed in my time there, and still continue to have them years later.  The alumni network is solid nationally as well with many in partner positions in major firms.

Jan 22, 16 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
WaffleMan22

Thanks everyone!

Jan 22, 16 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
Dugan Nash

UVa has one of the better BS Arch programs in my opinion. It offers a very diverse faculty, rigorous coursework, and great overall learning environment.

Because DI doesn't rank non-professional degrees, its pretty moot to draw direct comparisons to other DI ranked undergrad programs. But because faculty is shared pretty significantly between both undergrad and grad programs and between the Architecture & Landscape departments (there's barely a line between the two), DI rankings "may" help gauge quality. UVa M.Arch was ranked 9 in 2015, just missed the top 10 in 2016. M.LArch is consistently in the top 5. 

Regardless, as previous posters have mentioned, UVa is a great school for an undergraduate education in general. Countless leading practitioners have an undergrad degree from UVa, both design related and not. You'll get Ivy quality education, and nearly the same reputation, while saving 20,000 grand a year (even more if your are in-state). Many ungergrads I knew there, if they didn't stick around to get their masters, consistently went on to other top schools (architecture and not).

BS Arch is the way to go, forget that B.Arch nonsense. Get a degree where you can get a more diverse undergrad education, with some architecture sprinkled in, work a little bit after school, mature a little bit, then do real work in grad school.

Jan 22, 16 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
boerumbergen

When I was at Yale for undergrad, a lot of my architecture TAs went to UVA for undergrad. The UVA undergrad program in architecture seems to be a pretty significant feeder school for the Yale School of Architecture graduate program. I don't know if that's actually the case or if the program is just so strong that a lot of UVA alums get into the YSOA. 

Jan 25, 16 10:35 am  · 
 · 
WaffleMan22

Thank you everyone! That is the plan Mr. Nash!

Does anyone know how it compares in strength to the Northeastern program?

Jan 25, 16 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

You're never going to get a real comparison, unless someone actually went to both.  Everyone is loyal to their own school.  UVA folks seem more extreme than most.  Usually, whenever some shortcoming is brought up, they seem to always deflect with some sort of Jefferson reference.  I'm reasonably convinced UVA people want to claim their school is great because of Jefferson and his work as and "architect". 

My advice is to visit both, and decide for yourself.  Relying on opinions on the internet is not the way to go. Talk to students while you are there (don't visit during the summer). 

Jan 25, 16 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
proto

senjohnblutarsky, no love for uva, huh?

Jan 25, 16 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

It's more a people thing.  Don't mind the school at all. 

Jan 26, 16 7:59 am  · 
 · 
proto

ouch

Jan 26, 16 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

I would also talk to alumni - the reason I chose UVA for grad school was the strength and type of the work their alumni produced at my college's grad program.  I wasn't in the architecture school in college but did spend some time talking to the graduate students to assess what they looked for and where they came from.  Each school has a culture unique to their program and they cultivate it - I find it important to find a good fit.

yes, senjohnblutarsky, UVA alumni are loyal, sometimes to a fault.  Some of it may have to do with being a 'lesser known' program, but much of it is because we loved it there so much (university -yes TJ is a big part of their identity-, the faculty, and our peers).  It's not everyone, but we are a vocal bunch.

Jan 26, 16 4:47 pm  · 
 · 

I concur with 3tk's comments, not all UVa grads fall back to Jefferson as a default position.

To the OP, as senjohnblutarsky recommended - go shopping, that's the most direct way to find a match.

Jan 26, 16 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
WaffleMan22

Thanks everyone! I am mainly concerned with whether or not the UVa undergrad program will prepare me for admissions to top M.Arch schools :)

Jan 31, 16 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

No program will prepare you for admissions to top M.Arch schools.  The only way to get in is through hard work + good recommendations.   

Jan 31, 16 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
WaffleMan22

Sorry if I seem extremely out of the loop. I am a high school senior with very little idea of how M.Arch admissions works

Jan 31, 16 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Short answer is yes - many of the students went on to Yale, Harvard GSD, UC-Berkeley, Michigan, Penn, Columbia, UT-Austin.  As employers, recruiters, faculty members and clients noted to me, UVA alumni are generally well-spoken and are team players.

Long answer is, as Dangermouse points out, it is up to the individual to take advantage of the resources available to you and to develop yourself as a person and as a designer.  The effort starts with you, though the general rigor of the work around will push you, ultimately it's up to you to push yourself into being the best you can be.  It's true anywhere you go.  I can say that the Virginia faculty is a very dedicated teaching faculty that prides themselves on being able to develop each student as an individual; they really do spend a lot of time with you and I find that to be a critical component of a good academic institution no matter what the field of study.  There is no substitute for visiting the studios during the school year - every school has it's personality and its a good way to assess how you feel about the culture there.

Feb 1, 16 11:13 am  · 
 · 
WaffleMan22

I understand! Thank you everyone for the input! 

Feb 2, 16 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: