Archinect
anchor

Mid Rise Building (Helpful advice, ideas, or tips)

AdairHerr

I'm in 11th Grade, and my class and I are doing a Mid-Rise Building Project. I chose the architect I.M. Pei, so our building is based on our influence of that architect we chose. My building of influence was the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum Building which has a glass pyramid in it. I decided to add a glass pyramid in my mid-rise building, and make it to where it attracts the attention of it. The building I'm working on is 10-stories high with balconies. It's going to serve as a mixture of apartments and small restaurants in this building.The concept of this building is the shape and how something can stand out, for example, the fact that I decided to put a glass pyramid inside a mid-rise that is rectangular, is something you rarely see, so that will attract the audience's attention. If you could take a look at my building I sketched on Google SketchUp, that would be great, I would like to hear from student architects, architects, or even professors about this idea or building. Maybe some tips on how I could design this building or some ideas that you all have. I accept criticism, so feel free to give me your opinions. Thank you for your attention and wish me luck on this project, because soon I will like to be an architect.

Jan 20, 16 2:30 pm
Non Sequitur

So, by "influenced by" you mean "copy-paste one thing from one project and call it a day"?

A+

On another note, that pyramid could double up as a wicked means of egress from the first 4 floors. Just think about it, no need for elevators, just slide down from your apartment.

Word of advice, nothing in this represents IM Pei. Expand your research.

Jan 20, 16 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Might want to research the proportions of most constructed pyramids, as well.  

Jan 20, 16 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Seriously, folks, can we tone down the snark on the young? This is a good opportunity to explain how to make things better, not to unload on a junior in high school. I drew a fucking DINOSAUR HOSPITAL when I was young, and my dad (an architect) ENCOURAGED me. If he had been a jackass, I likely would have not turned out well.

Jan 20, 16 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

I can one-up you there, Sneaky. My Master's thesis was a dinosaur hospital.

Jan 20, 16 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I would not offer snark if a grade 11 student came here looking for advice on a dinosaur hospital.

I figured if you're going to rip-off IM Pei's pyramid, why choose the one at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame? I'd start with this one since it's actually inside the building:

Jan 20, 16 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

looks like the beginnings of an interesting project.  I have no idea how much time you have to spend on this...

often architects spend as much time developing the program as the form.  for example asking a series of questions about goals for the building, its surrounding area, and intended users and using that to create a form that responds to the building's specific needs.

In this case you are putting the cart before the horse in some ways by jumping straight to the form.  That is certainly ok, happens all the time.  I only mention this as something to keep in the back of your mind for later.  

looks like your goal is to create a unique building to stand out.  Do you have a specific location in mind?  If the building is surrounded by mud huts anything over 10' tall with stand out.  If you are in a downtown major city you'll have different needs.  if everything around you is 10 stories the form will need to be unique.  

The pyramid makes sense, but perhaps the proportions are are bit off?  Pyramids are usually built with specific angles.  Maybe turn it upside down with columns at the corners?  

One thing you will learn is that architecture is very easy to criticize, so you will need to develop a thick skin.  We've probably all seen a student in tears after a rough critique.

Jan 20, 16 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

non's post came up while i was typing..... Pei did a ton of buildings, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is far from his best work

Jan 20, 16 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

I don't see any snarkiness in my post.  The kid needs to learn the design process.  Part of that is how one seeks an answer.  If I had just told him/her some specific angle for the pyramid, I would be depriving them of knowing why. 

I did probably make an error in making my post seem like an extension of the previous one. 

Jan 20, 16 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

do the structure and layouts all in triangles, if you really want to channel IM Pei......also why lut the pyramid outside the building when it could be in the building? roll the dice on a siml concept and then follow it through with the program (use) and see what happens.

Jan 20, 16 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
Look at Pei's work and let it inform what you are doing. See how Pei works with platonic geometries and forms (for examples the balconies you have shown would probably be hidden by a screen of the same facade material as the rest of the building to preserve the pure rectangular volume). Pay attention to materials as well.

And good luck. Have fun with it.
Jan 20, 16 7:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: