Archinect
anchor

Networking in Architecture

Hello Everyone,

I will begin study in a part-time evening architecture program later this year. I am entering this program in mid career and feel very positive about the professional experience I will bring to this endeavor.

My question to practicing architects is: what value do you place on efforts you made to network while in school and early on in your career? How important has this been towards success in your career? What key lessons did you learn about growing your network?

I am excited to be accepting this challenge with time ahead of me to forge my relationships thoughtfully. Any feedback on the subject is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jan 19, 16 11:33 pm
citizen

(Try to be nice, folks.)

Jan 20, 16 1:38 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Knowing people helps you get jobs. 

Not pissing people off helps you keep jobs.

Bringing donuts to the office/studio might help others forget you pissed them off.

Jan 20, 16 8:15 am  · 
 · 
poop876

kissing ass with donuts does not help

Jan 20, 16 8:22 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You can network all you want but at the end of the day, being competent and knowing how to put a building together is all that you need. 

Jan 20, 16 9:00 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

(Try to be nice, folks.)

Nice?  What's nice?  You want nice?  We are never, ever nice!

The senator above is right.  Networking in architecture is no different than networking anywhere else.  Nothing much happens in a vacuum.

BTW, what occupation are you coming from, and what possesses you to want to try architecture?

Jan 20, 16 9:02 am  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

College girls are hot. That's where I'd spend my time networking.

Jan 20, 16 9:02 am  · 
 · 

One of my fellow teachers' advice on networking was "Do interesting things."

Sometimes you have to go to a certain event *specifically* because you think it's a good place to network. But the best networking, in my experience, is doing cool stuff you want to do - like joining public charrettes, getting involved in local food or brewing or dog clubs or biking or whatever - and meeting people there, among a group of non-architects, who share an interest with you.

Jan 20, 16 9:54 am  · 
 · 
midlander

Every job I've had was something I got through a friend (actually all female friends... so second what D--B says in some way). All of them have been good jobs, and managed to fit into a career without any coordinated planning from me. And 80% of my friends got their job through a friend or good acquaintance.

So, be nice to people, be sincere and try to know a wide mix. You never know who might help you out, or need your help. I'm not a very friendly or charismatic person at all, just normal and curious how other people do their work and live their lives.

Later, well after school and settling into a job you'll need to learn how to network to get work for your firm. That's not entirely different, but requires a broader understanding of architecture than most students have, and a bit more effort to focus on potential clients. Don't force yourself to do that; you'll figure it out when you need to.

Jan 20, 16 10:03 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Who's evening program?  there aren't too many of these... Drexel?

There aren't too many "hot girls" in architecture... at Drexel... in the evening... just sayin'

Jan 20, 16 12:50 pm  · 
 · 

I second the idea of "do interesting things".

Don't wait for someone to tell you where to go, when to show up, and who is going to be there. If you're intrested in something/someone find a reason to go meet them. 

Jan 20, 16 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

I really like Donna's advice!

There is very little reason to network with architects. The architect circle jerk tends to end after school and especially after you have that first job. I do know multiple people who managed to land their first jobs above their skill level by networking while in school. Its also nice to have a fellow architect network if you were to get laid off or need to go on the job hunt for reasons other than your choosing. 

My experience tends to show that those who can't preform, networked their way into jobs.

Those who did have an awesome portfolio and were capable designers mostly kept to themselves and networked or participated in activities outside architecture. From my experience they tend to be doing better as they have made contacts outside the industry that allow them to bring work into their employer, which then allows them more design opportunity and a quick route up the ladder or the ability to break off and start their own thing eventually. 

Most of the "networked into my job" people had fairly short runs and eventually ended up somewhere mediocre or pidgin holed into a specific task at a decent firm. People who kept their head down and simply did quality work and had quality down time are doing much much better. Its also a quality of life thing. Architects are boring stodge people for the most part, if you hang around them too much you just become one of the herd. I quite prefer hanging out with engineers who tend to understand that there is a life outside their profession and are also a good source of potential work. 

Jan 20, 16 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

You know the wrong architects. 

Jan 20, 16 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

If you're doing something you actually enjoy and believe in you will benefit even if you don't make a single "good connection" career wise.  If you don't care about the actual activity and are just doing it to pass out business cards, it will show.  Networking should be a by-product, not the sole objective.

Jan 20, 16 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Networking with other architects may bring benefits, like learning about what your peers are doing, gaining information on current trends, etc.  But it generally won't bring you work.

Networking with people who might become future clients, or people who might refer you to future clients = priceless.

Jan 20, 16 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

You can get jobs in the field with networking as many of my peers have done, or you can get a job by having the skills. I myself disliking small talk and people in general chose the latter.

Jan 21, 16 4:24 am  · 
 · 
ljweidner

Everyone, I am blown away at your thoughtful feedback! It's truly helpful and encouraging to hear such experienced feedback.

Donna, Sink, I really love your thoughts. I know there's value in being connected through networks outside of the profession, but being distinctive for a particular niche is something I'll pay close attention to as I develop.

midlander - I find it helpful to know the approach will vary during different points in my career. I'll keep my thoughts within my current level of expertise. Where are you in your career trajectory?

JonathanLivingston - This is EXACTLY what I need to hear. Not that I'm in a rush, per say, but being a mid career shift makes me appreciate that (1) I am not in a position to waste time if I want results in my lifetime and (2) others my age will already have much more experience. I know I need to work hard and be smart if I expect to make a mark.

EKE - different kinds of value with different people. Do you ever point yourself towards one or the other with intention or is it generally a natural, intuitive feeling for you?

Jerome S - YES! Drexel. Well, if I'm honest I haven't committed just yet. Still considering a full time program, but I'm already in a firm and I wouldn't want to give up a great spot, contacts, and opportunity to learn on the job unless it were the right thing. Right now I believe it's advantageous to work and school at the same time, albeit demanding. A little concerned about the hot girls, but I guess sometimes we make sacrifices in life

Jan 21, 16 11:54 am  · 
 · 

I lived in Philly for ten years. I even taught a design studio at Drexel way back! I met people in Philly through the CSA I was part of, the new mothers group at the hospital where I gave birth to my son, being friendly and respectful of all the subconsultants and contractors I met through projects in the office, and the art openings (husband is an artist). 

Jan 21, 16 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Networking with architects for employment connections is smart, but beyond that would get a squint from me...as my career progressed I enjoyed making connections on a national level at AIA conventions & doing joint ventures…learned to handle locals with a long stick.

Jan 21, 16 2:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: