Archinect
anchor

What Style is This?

jpetersen

What style of home is this and does anyone have any background history on the style?

Jan 18, 16 12:58 pm
citizen

I'd call it a builder's ripoff of the fantastic Bay Area Modern Regionalism from the 1960s-'70s, shown here at the Sea Ranch Condominium in Northern California by Charles Moore.

Jan 18, 16 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

Damn contemporary bullshit architecture it is.

Jan 18, 16 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ Donna's description is better.

Jan 18, 16 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I love those 3 pumpkins on the front steps.

Jan 18, 16 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

All three illustrations look like abandoned mining buildings in the Colorado Rockies.

Jan 18, 16 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

late modern neo-organic expressionism.

Jan 18, 16 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Nice Donna, we had that hanging up in the break room during Christmas...  My boss, who's been practicing since the early 70's, had to chuckle seeing it hanging there, he said he had the same thing hanging up at his office way back then!

Jan 18, 16 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Wouldn't be the most horrible thing in the world if the garage and red door went away.

Jan 18, 16 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

How would you get inside then?

Jan 18, 16 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Through the chimney of course!

Jan 18, 16 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
Mr Wiggin I've been laughing at that cartoon since I was a child and that style still really was contemporary! It's a classic.

senatorjohn, I agree. That garage door is so, soooo wide.
Jan 18, 16 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

style:  your mom's house

Jan 18, 16 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

didn't Mr Brady design this one?

Jan 18, 16 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
LOL, chigurh!
Jan 18, 16 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

From all the posts on Archinect bashing houses, styles, foyers, stairs, moldings it is safe to assume everyone on here designed and built their own homes that are perfect. We should start a thread posting each pictures of our own homes.

Jan 18, 16 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Designing my perfect home, now.  Wife is getting in the way. 

So, I have an excuse for any imperfections.

Jan 19, 16 8:21 am  · 
 · 
poop876

I'm still working on my sauna and bathroom in the basement! I really don't care about the tile, I just want to get it done!

Jan 19, 16 8:31 am  · 
 · 

My house is perfect, it doesn't leak. At least at the moment.

Jan 19, 16 8:47 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

my house leaked a few weeks ago, but that black goo stuff tom silva recommended does wonders.

Jan 19, 16 9:12 am  · 
 · 

You can see here how beautiful the *interior* of my house is. The exterior is embarrassingly ugly: it was designed by a Modernist architect in 1956, but the previous owners to us effed it all up. We tore out every single thing they did on the interior, but I need $40K to do what I want to do on the exterior (new windows, picture unit instead of that stupid bay, new front door instead of that stupid builder colonial, asymmetrical Modern porch) so not there yet....we did repaint it all one color: brown, to make it disappear.

The interior is closer to perfect than that video shows - we've since painted the puzzle wall white and replaced the IKEA dining chairs with Eames molded fiberglass side chairs with wood/wire base. Next big interior change will be a low display wall/bench under the long high windows you see in the video.

Jan 19, 16 9:24 am  · 
 · 

Also, poop, my husband won an argument over a molding detail that still bothers me: he did the bamboo floor installation, and didn't want to cut everything close enough to just have speedline baseboard, so we have a quarter round shoe mold on it. The benefit of that is when I slam the vacuum cleaner into it the smudge marks happen only on the shoe mold, not the baseboard.

See, aaaaaalllll of these decisions matter.

Jan 19, 16 9:33 am  · 
 · 
poop876

I remembered that we did discuss this "style" previously....

Interesting! An acquaintance purchased this house and needs an addition. 

Apr 28, 16 8:41 pm  · 
 · 

Shed Roof - Contemporary style. Something like that.

Apr 28, 16 8:55 pm  · 
 · 

That vinyl siding, tho. Change it.

Apr 28, 16 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

poop876, I'd start by adding some windows!

Apr 28, 16 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Oh yeah, so much to do on this. On the bottom picture.... Far right, that's the main entry!!! Such an odd house

Apr 28, 16 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Add a few lawn gnomes.

Apr 28, 16 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
tomalphin

It's definitely rooted in "Shed style" architecture, which is generally cited as a sub-genre of "Postmodernism".  

Vanna Venturi House, 1964, Chestnut Hill, Pennsylvania.

One of the first commonly cited examples of Postmodernism is The Vanna Venturi House, 1964, Chestnut Hill, Pennsylvania, by Architect and architectural theory author Robert Venturi.

I think it looks an awful lot like the "Shed style" we are discussing here, which gained momentum in the late 70's. (Alongside other fun styles like "Hut style", which was popularized by Pizza Hut stores.)

---Tom Alphin

Apr 30, 16 3:23 am  · 
 · 

Shed roof "style" (in some books call "Contemporary style") and post modernism should not be considered the same. While post modernism may use shed roof, it doesn't mean a building with shed roof is postmodern and not all post modern use shed roof. The shed roof is a roof form and is technically not a "style". However, the style is typically called "Contemporary".

Most of these examples are actually "Contemporary" style. I may not particular agree with the name label as any style of the current trend is contemporary.

I particular like to say "Contemporary-Modern/Shed roof type" or "Shed Roof Contemporary-Modern". 

Venturi House is post-modern for other reasons.

Apr 30, 16 3:41 am  · 
 · 
no_form

hey professor balkins, why is the venturi house post-modern for other reasons?  what are those reasons?  do tell me, without plagiarizing or copy pasting a wikipedia entry.  have you even read learning from las vegas?  

i'm going to substitute kangaroo for duck from now on.  

apologies to the OP.  I didn't mean to start a dumpster fire.  

Apr 30, 16 3:48 am  · 
 · 

no_form,

It isn't the shed roof. Shed roofs had been in use for a substantial time before post modernism even existed. 

What is post-modernism? 

What can I say about Venturi's house that isn't already said in some way or form by so many people since the mid-1960s that is completely unique. If I am to write unique sentences that can't be possibly claimed for plagiarizing or copy/pasting then we have to talk about something totally new not researched and written so much about that there isn't some source. 

You are asking me a question that can't be answered without repeating what has already been written about. I'm 50+ years too late, am I not?

I'm not going to bother with answering your question. Just look it up for yourself.

Apr 30, 16 3:58 am  · 
 · 
Rick, I'm going with the published author over you...and my mentor who worked for Bob and Denise. I'll give you advice that my grandma gave me when I was just a wee little archi-baby...stop acting like a know-it-all.

Besides the 70s are back in style.
Apr 30, 16 4:56 am  · 
 · 

Josh,

What I can tell you is it isn't shed roof that makes post-modern post modern. My point is simple, there are plenty of post-modern examples that doesn't use a shed roof.

Didn't I basically say, go with the published authors?

Apr 30, 16 5:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: