Archinect
anchor

Gridlines

ARCHI78

Im drawing up an existing building, and putting an extension on. What is the best way to place gridlines?  Would 2 gridlines for the existing building suffice, and then just GLs for the new part? GLs are normally through structural elements-what if there are various wall types, eg stud frame, blockwork etc? Is there a standard that should always be used?

Lastly-for the gridlines relating to the existing building-would these still be placed as centre of structure? (will this be easily identified on site?)

Any advice/opinions most appreciated!

Jan 13, 16 11:47 pm
gruen
Hire an architect.
Jan 14, 16 7:11 am  · 
1  ·  1
Wood Guy

Telling a commenter from five years ago to be quiet? Okay...

Apr 3, 21 8:59 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

or attend architecture school?

Jan 14, 16 7:32 am  · 
1  ·  1
shaunariordan1

Ya'll are rude.

Dec 6, 22 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
You couldn't ask your PM or PA? Always be willing to ask them questions. If you are feeling that you can't ask them, then something is up with the work relationship.
Jan 14, 16 8:34 am  · 
Non Sequitur

Place your grids on the c/l of the brick and any important bathroom fixture.

Jan 14, 16 8:57 am  · 
1  · 
curtkram

put your grid lines where you would put batten boards and mason's twine.  at least watch one episode of this old house before trying to become an architect.  kids these days. . .

Jan 14, 16 9:28 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

i thought anything asymmetrical should be on a gridline

Jan 14, 16 10:12 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

We have this thing now, called "search," which allows anybody with a question of this nature to automatically scan through the archives of this forum and look for threads where this question may have come up and been answered sometime in the past.

It's like magic. Try it sometime.

Jan 14, 16 11:48 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

What is a gridline for? If you're the contractor, what would you use them for? Even if you could dimension to the center line of a column buried in a wall, would that help the new construction get laid out more accurately?

Jan 14, 16 11:51 am  · 
3  · 
archi_dude

I think you were the only person on this thread that actually understood the purpose of grid lines.

Apr 3, 21 1:51 pm  · 
2  · 

Just use graph paper.

Jan 14, 16 1:18 pm  · 
1  ·  1
shaunariordan1

lol What?

Dec 6, 22 3:51 pm  · 
chigurh

center line of key furniture both directions

Jan 14, 16 1:39 pm  · 
1  ·  1
gruen

OK I'm usually putting a grid on the centerline of columns. Then, I work to place the exterior walls a sensible distance away from this centerline.

Example: the exterior column centers on the grids. The exterior wall - say it's a 6" metal stud - will be 6" or 12" or 1'-6" off this grid line. I will define this distance as either the exterior or interior face of the stud. That way the contractor has several places they can actually stretch a tape to, without having to rely on invisible centerlines. An we can detail everything off a known location. 

The same trick works for CMU. 

If you can place one face of the exterior wall on the centerline/grid line, so much the better. I'm not a fan of "centerlines" except for heavy steel detailing, but I'd be OK with placing a wall centered on a gridline, if it made sense. 

What grinds my gears is when there's a random distance from the gridline to the exterior wall, and this random distance changes from place to place in the building. 

Jan 14, 16 3:48 pm  · 
1  · 
shaunariordan1

Thank you - this is helpful.

Dec 6, 22 3:53 pm  · 

First if you have the existing drawings then follow the convention/locations for the existing drawings and place the grid lines in the existing building as they show them.  I would put all of the grid lines in at least one overall plan as there is likely to be things such as water and electrical service or Mechanical equipment that will need to make connections into and throughout the existing structure so having the grids as a guide and a means to locate things in the existing building will be helpful.  As for the new building addition try to follow the numbering/ continue the numbering if at all possible but locate the grid lines where it makes sense for your structural systems as the grid lines are what the survey teams use to locate your building addition.  For example I use a grid line at the face of an existing wall to remain as the start point so there is a point of reference that will be there throughout the project.

Hope this helps

There might be a standard way your office likes to do this so do ask about it.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Apr 5, 21 5:26 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: