Archinect
anchor

M.Arch 1 portfolio critic needed!

Hello guys, 

I am applying for M.Arch 1, at Michigan University, Cincinnati, RPI, St.Louis... what are the possibilities I can get into in any of these colleges... also please suggest me some "safe" Universities I should apply to. 

Critics and advices for this portfolio welcomed..

http://issuu.com/manikantaks/docs/perfect_cincinnati__1_

Thank you.

Jan 11, 16 12:52 pm
SpatialSojourner

Here's my play-by-play reaction:

Nice cover photo, too many fonts on the front cover, I'd stick to one or two fonts.  I'd also scale the image so that there is no top black part.

Typography needs to be worked on.  Nice use of white space, things just need a touch more grid organization. Your page numbers bounce around, in inDesign, put them on the master page so they are the same place, and remove the -s.    In Sketchup, I'd change the style so that it doesn't have those strange (to me) corners.  

Check out this: https://taubmancollege.umich.edu/pdfs/architecture/march/grad_portfolio_workshop.pdf Especially take note of page 16/17

Pick 2 fonts (type style, weight (bold, light, ect)) and make sure that the block of text is in the structure of the page and not haphazardly placed (page 5, 7, 14/15,  18/19, ect) .  

Jan 11, 16 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
prasidha

@manii, few suggestions:

• add some basic information in every projects or picture (such as what year you took that photo or location). What you want to include in the description depends on the context. But keep it minimal and simple.
  • Better to put some photography or something else (something created by you) on page 2 (the page of your name and contact details), and you can also minimize the scale of your name and contact details. It's a waste of space and a little bit unbalanced with the other descriptive texts in your portfolio.
  • Page 12/13 have some problems. It just feels cluttered. Maybe put a title on each modelling project will help? Because at first I think the whole pages are about one project while actually it talks about 3 different models.
  • People need more information about the meaning of your sketches. Page 17 is a good example to explain about the festival, explain more about Mysore (its cultural importance in India etc). This kind of explanation will help the admission committee to evaluate your analytical aptitude. Page 16 is a bad example. Indeed people need to know when you sketch it, but it's better to explain about which part of the library it is and why it is a dead end (maybe it's the architecture section?).

Best and good luck for your application. And don't choose safe university, choose the place where you think you can develop the most. This portfolio is good enough for an M.Arch 1 applicant (non-arch background?), it just need to be refined a little bit.

Jan 12, 16 2:20 am  · 
 · 
manii

thanks a lot guys ill look into them and make changes accordingly! 

Jan 14, 16 2:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: