Archinect
anchor

portfolio b.arch USC (opinions please)

polyastepanova

Hey, I am looking for some critique for my semester portfolio. I am going to be applying for summer internships soon and would really appreciate your opinions. 

Link to my portfolio:

http://artbyps.blogspot.fr/2015/12/4-months-in-33-pg-portfolio.html

Dec 29, 15 1:07 pm
( o Y o )

My opinion is that if you can't even post in the appropriate forum - in this case ACADEMIA - you have no business going to architecture school.

Dec 29, 15 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
polyastepanova

I posted it to the Employment folder because my portfolio is aimed at the employers – if you were a bit more attentive and read my text through, maybe you wouldn't end up writing an offensive comment.

Dec 29, 15 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

it's not really a portfolio.  it's a web page.  so i'll have to critique the webpage.  it has a random tropical background.  the typeface is hideous in color and style.  there's a portrait of you leaning against a brick wall that doesn't really look all that professional.  especially as this is not for a modeling internship.  then there are the previous blog entries with pictures of your friends and random thoughts about your life as a student.  while that is fun and we all have similar memories, you're now looking at working in a competitive, profit driven environment.  while internships are learning experiences, they are also opportunities to do something useful in return for the employer.  what are two skills that you are proficient in that an employer would find useful?  if you need a hint look at entry level job descriptions on archinect.  moving on...

the presentation of the work in black and white is a good start; but the typeface is boring, there's no organizational logic to the images, drawings, and text.  do not use hyphens.  the various paraline drawings as you call them are very flat and float within the black background.  the line weights, types, and use of poche do little to convey any of your design intent that you write about.  renderings- the use of colors and the use of a "green" color for grass again does nothing to support your design intent.  also, the models are at such a small scale that an idea of space or materiality do not come through.  it's just a massing study.  everything is a single piece of cardboard.  even at an early stage think back to your tech and stuctures courses.  each piece of your model has to do something, whether it is carrying load, creating an opening, or creating an enclosure.  they are not all one dimensional objects.  

if you have passion, dedication, and persistence you can make it.  good luck.

Dec 29, 15 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: