Archinect
anchor

Is Landscape Architecture a dead field? Is Interior Design an overpacked one?

loudasrain

I hate to ask this.

But just like the title says.

I want to pursue a career in one of these. I mostly read about how there are no jobs in landscape architecture. I have yet to see anyone complain about interior design, other than it being useless compared to architecture.

Dec 29, 15 9:36 am
senjohnblutarsky

In some states, interior design is now a licensed practice... supposedly separating the interior desecrators from the inferior designers.  Most clients won't know the difference.

Survival in Landscape architecture might require being associated with a landscaping/site construction business. Or at least in my area it would. 

Dec 29, 15 9:58 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

How I've been curb-stomping interiors people out jobs: I do my own MEP.

Two clients near-instantly fired their interior designer upon learning I could provide full services and still make things look baller.

Dec 29, 15 10:01 am  · 
 · 

Landscape architects often have to design small budget things and thus have to be very efficient in managing projects. they also get their work chopped as the work is often the last thing finished on a project and escalation in cost and the frequent problem of the landscape contractors going out of business on large 2-3 year projects and rebidding lead to having to make major budget cuts.

But Landscaping is becoming more of an architectural feature with green roofs and living walls. Also the shopping mall rehab I worked on had a landscape designer to figure out the interior plantings as well as the work outside. Landscaping is often mandated by LEED and Zoning so there is always a demand.

Interior designers also face the same budget ax problems and often have to manage small budget problems, but they have to work very fast and often with deadlines every other week. Is interior design over packed? I don't know but the design firms are only a part of the profession there are lots of people designing furniture and products and a lot of folks selling and marketing those services and products to design firms.

Dec 30, 15 10:30 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Most clients are going to perceive picking out bushes or selecting paint chips as not very difficult or valuable.  When a customer thinks (correctly or not) that they can do your job 90% as good as you can, they will not consider the money they pay you to be very well spent and will always be looking for a way to cut you out of the process.  As a result, in most cases you will struggle financially.  My advice is stay away from anything related to design or the arts.  Great hobbies but generally not good professions if you're not financially independent.

Dec 30, 15 11:08 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

^thats completley opposite from what I have experianced.  Landscape clients have been far more hands off than what I have seen in architecture.  Most landscape projects are blank slates...spaces lack programatic clarity...everyone knows what spaces a home requires, but a landscape really has few to zero programatic requirements.  Because of this, the clients often feel outside their comfort zone.  

If you want to get into landscape however, I would go the contractor route.  Thats where the real money is.  Even the small-med non popular guys make bank...one I know just built a 2 million dollar house and drives a 100k dollar tesla.  

Dec 30, 15 11:43 am  · 
 · 
ShakeyDeal
Landscape architecture is certainly not dead (or dying), but rather the contrary. Societal value for the landscape is ever increasing. Our understanding of the landscape and the systems that it supports is lacking (at least in design fields).
Jan 3, 16 1:46 am  · 
 · 
3tk

LA dead?  Nope.  The major cities seem to understand the particular value of landscape architects better - and the profession is embracing a larger role (not just parks and plazas, but more involved in conservation, street-scapes, mater plans, interiors and temporary installations).  In more rural areas there still is a tension between what are normally considered allied professions (civil engineers, surveyors, environmental scientists) due to the fact that there is a smaller pool of money to pick over.

They're very different in the day-to-day attitude toward design and world-view.  You're best suited to picking one that fits your personality and ethic.

Jan 5, 16 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
jfk2396

I read this article the other day. It states that more and more people are looking for new technologies in their homes and that they are looking for more outdoor living space.

http://buildingarchitecturemagazine.com/2015/09/30/outdoor-living-spaces-and-smart-home-technology-top-homeowner-preferences/

Suggests that it might not actually be dead as landscape architecture could be used in the gardens to provide more space or seem like there is more space.

Jan 8, 16 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
eliza abraham

In my opinion, both are different career paths. The purpose of interior design is enhancing the interior of the building while landscaping is about boosting the exterior beauty of the same. Interior designing is all about the ambiance and the designer can plan on how to make the building so beautiful. Interior design is a multi faced profession that includes space planning, communicating with the client, site inspection and implementing the designs. Most of the people focus on interior design rather than concentrating on Landscaping Architecture, which is the reason why Landscape Architecture is not much preferred. Those who like traditional beauty concentrate on landscape architecture. The idea of Landscaping is to combine both nature and culture. Nowadays, landscaping is mainly used as tourist places, parks, and residential estates because the lush greenery covering the area. People, now have come to know about the importance of landscaping architectures such that landscaping architecture is also preferred along with interior design.

Dec 21, 18 3:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: