Archinect
anchor

i need some guidance to make my portfolio for internship at bjarke ingels group!!

hi,

i am a 4th year student of architecture. i want to try at BIG group as an intern, we have a 1 year(july 16 - july 17) internship programme in our college(semester 9th & 10th). well working at BIG is dream so i want to know what all do i need to take care while making my portfolio. what kind of portfolio it should be ... etc. your experience and some other interns. this information for me will be really helpfull. i hope to get a feedback from you. + if i can follow up with anyone while making my portfolio for applying at Bjarke ingels group.

regards,
Pragya Vashisht
(chandigarh, india)

Dec 23, 15 6:48 am
awaiting_deletion

ARP1 and Knoa will assist you soon.......interesting enough in school you think your portfolio should be something the firm likes, but usually they prefer to hire you based on personality compatibility with the office culture.........if you try to match their style and graphics you run the huuuge risk of the experts (those whose style and graphics you are trying to match) of noticing how badly you might of done it..........phone calls and finding out who to talk to is best.

Dec 23, 15 7:18 am  · 
 · 

well olaf, thanks for the suggestion ...!! + i would like some to share their experience as an intern at BIG!! i like his ideology and the work the do.. i read somewhere that BIG has about 35%interns !! so i would like to know what kind of work is generally given to intern architects!!... 

Dec 23, 15 8:45 am  · 
 · 

Contact Archinect member knoa, she works for them on a contract basis.

Interns clean toilets and fetch coffee. The latter only after a year's experience in the former. At a firm like BIG a lot of toilet maintenance is necessary.

You might have a better chance if you offer to pay them. 

Dec 23, 15 9:14 am  · 
 · 

better be on twitter .. you wasted my 5 seconds!! 

Dec 23, 15 9:20 am  · 
 · 

In 5 years you will wish you had taken me seriously.

Dec 23, 15 9:25 am  · 
 · 
Driko

Miles is right. Take a look at glassdoor for what you can expect your hours and pay to be. it might not matter to you now but when your pulling 80 + hrs a week while you can barley afford anything for yourself it will start to get to you. everyone wants to work at the top name firms so unless you have an in with them your chances are slim to none. don't focus all your energy on one firm and dont just focus on working for star architects. 

Dec 23, 15 9:51 am  · 
 · 
zonker

I started out at a name - but am glad I work at a smaller more life/work balanced office - 40hrs week and decent projects - don't kid yourself - its not worth ruining your health for - you will be just another face in the crowd there - 80hrs/week cutting foam? is that what you studied architecture for?

Dec 23, 15 11:47 am  · 
 · 

so what type of firm should i look for where i can get a sense of overall development !! a studio architect ?.. 

Dec 23, 15 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

a licensed architect who builds, design firms are basically school continued and design is all make believe anyway so why pile on the make believe. a Real architect who worries about how things are out together is a start.

Dec 23, 15 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: