Archinect
anchor

Which programming languages to learn

stungbyscorpion

Hi,

I am interested in Architectural computation etc. I will be joining a masters course.

Please advice on which programming languages I should familiarize myself with before joining a course, as I wish to invest my time to applying the softwares learnt rather than use the time in my masters to learn a new software.

Also, please tell me if schools in UK and USA prefer different programming languages, or is it all the same.

Any advise will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Dec 21, 15 2:19 pm
null pointer

When in doubt, Python.

If feeling beast, C#.

Dec 21, 15 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

c++, then c#

:)

if that's too hard, snap or dynamo.  more or less the same thing for a starting point.

note: i don't know anything about dynamo.

Dec 21, 15 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

At least learn Python and C#  for both Dynamo and Grasshopper

Dec 21, 15 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
stungbyscorpion

Thank you all for your comments.

Any advice on how much time would it take for a person who has no prior experience in programming to reach a level where one could start basic programming relating to architecture. (using websites like lyndadotcom)

Dec 22, 15 3:58 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

language is one thing, another is logic and math. if you are good at the latter maybe a few late night sessions in studio and you can use whichever language as a tool to essentially do some 'form making'.

Dec 22, 15 7:13 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

What Olaf said.

Fear of math is what fucks people over when they try to work computational tools/coding into their workflow. Being able to whip out a quick script in RhinoPython when doing interative work pays off really fast - you just have to break away from the "we'll make it work" mindset and try to use math and code to understand a building as it is being designed (from pre-concept to CA).

Dec 22, 15 8:25 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

and try to use math and code to understand a building as it is being designed (from pre-concept to CA)..........should be your mantra OP if this is the world you are getting into

Dec 22, 15 10:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: