Archinect
anchor

Working in Abu Dhabi, AE

g.thomas.z

So I'm looking at a possible move to Abu Dhabi in August of 2016 and I'm wondering if anyone out there has experience living and working as an architect in the Arab Emirates.  I know that quite a few international firms have offices there-- Gensler, HKS, RTKL, RMJM, but I'm curious to know how likely, if at all, firms like that hire international architects. 

About me:  I'm a 27 year-old licensed architect from the US with most of my experience coming in large-scale commercial and sports/athletic related projects.  I have very strong Revit skills and have played a major role in establishing the BIM procedures and graphic standards at every firm I've worked for.  I also have strong graphic design and visualization skills, plus experience in putting together marketing materials and participating in interviews for large projects.  My weaknesses:  All of the built projects that I've managed have been interior renovations and TI, so I don't have the CA experience of bringing a ground-up project through construction.  I've drawn and detailed a few, but never taken one into construction.  My portfolio: www,gregoryzamell.com

Anyway, for those who have worked or even just traveled to the Emirates, I'd be very grateful to get some feedback on some of my questions.

-Did you have a job secured before arriving to the AE, or did you need to interview in person before being hired?

-How did you find your position?  Job postings, cold calling, in-person office visits?  

-Did your employer sponsor your move?  Did they cover any of your living expenses or offer a stipend during your employment?  I imagine this is unlikely, but I know it's quite common for other professions.

-How did the salary and general work expectations compare to previous jobs?  Was the salary a step down?  Did you get the growth you were looking for out of the experience?

-Lastly, how did you find the quality of LIFE there?  I know the culture is very different from the US and Europe, so I'm curious to know what the struggles and the joys were of living in the AE.

I think that's enough for now.  I apologize for the long-winded post, and I'm hopeful that someone out there will be a good source of information for me.  Again, any information at all is appreciated.  Thanks!

Dec 20, 15 2:37 am
A.I.

Brace yourself for an onslaught of comments regarding slavery, penises, and just general negativity that's associated with this forum.

Save yourself the headache and just PM me; I've also from the US and have been here (Dubai) for 3 years.  I'll answer whatever questions you may have.

Dec 20, 15 3:35 am  · 
 · 
midlander

I haven't worked there myself, but several American friends working at firms you mentioned have moved over there recently. AFIK the salary wasn't really much better than what they were getting already, but there are tax advantages working there. Housing is more expensive than Chicago, and no special benefits to cover living expenses, but their firms did pay moving expenses.

Since they stayed with the firms they already worked for, no big change in work expectations, except that things were generally busier. Both of them work for foreign bosses (an American and an Englishman) which seems the norm.

I think the biggest challenge you'll have is that the scale of work international firms are doing there is much larger than what's in your portfolio. But the quality of your work and focus on BIM execution are quite suitable. Institutional work like healthcare is big, so you've got that. And I don't think weak on-site experience will hurt you; international firms working there are hired for upfront design expertise.

So reach out to people you know who might help you find a connection to one of the US/UK offices there - I think you would have a good chance.

Dec 20, 15 5:23 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
The comments about slavery are pretty accurate. Only A.I tends to see otherwise.

Why bother wasting time in a backwards culture?
Dec 20, 15 10:38 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Id rather live in north korea 

Dec 20, 15 11:22 am  · 
 · 
g.thomas.z

Thank you everyone for the comments.  I want to be diligent in my research, so I do want hear all experiences and opinions of the AE-- good and bad.  I have certainly heard some of both, but so far I think the positives greatly outweigh the negatives of adjusting to a new culture.

Pros:  Working in a foreign cosmopolitan city with great proximity for travel experiences-- North Africa, Southern Europe, Asia.  Potential for large firm experience and large project experience.  Great weather for most of the year.  Cultural melting pot and opportunities to meet people from across the globe.

Cons:  Dreadful heat in the summer and a significant culture adjustment, which would obviously go along with any international move.  I know there are certain expectations for women's clothing and public affection, but what are the other major caveats?  Expensive booze??

Anyway, penises and slavery sound rather frightening... anyone care to elaborate?  I'm fully aware of the antiquated customs in the Emirates, but no one I've spoken with has been negatively affected by them.  I'm told that Abu Dhabi's population is around 80% expats, so the culture is obviously not bad enough to deter all those international people.

midlander-- Thanks for the feedback.  I'm fine with a lateral or slight step down in salary.  I think the lack of income tax would still equate to a raise for me.  As far as housing, my girlfriend has been offered an international teaching position with a school that would fully cover her/our housing.  Of course, in order for me to live there, the law says we would need to be married, but I think that's an issue for another thread :)  I'm not very well connected with any of those large international firms, so I figure my best course of action would be cold-calling/emailing?  

A.I.-- Thank you so much for reaching out.  I will absolutely be sending you a message here shortly!

Dec 21, 15 1:16 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
^slavery is just as popular there today as it was 200 years ago.
Dec 21, 15 6:42 am  · 
 · 
Zaina

one of my friends secured a job in KEO already after working there as an intern for one year..

I'm from Abu Dhabi n looking for the same thing, next year I'll be graduated n I don know what would be my chances..

Dec 21, 15 11:52 am  · 
 · 
thegirlxyz

Hi, Have you been able to find a job yet? I am from Abu Dhabi too and graduated in 2016 but the job market is tough here. Suggest me some way in which I could get a job here.

Jun 23, 17 11:28 am  · 
 · 
g.thomas.z
Shameless bump here. Despite the so-called slavery issue, we feel confident and ready to commit to Abu Dhabi. I now need to find a job. Anyone have experience in connecting with international firms? Is it best to cold call? Email? Go through agencies or job boards? Where to start?
Dec 28, 15 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
thegirlxyz

Hi, Have you been able to find a job yet? I am from Abu Dhabi too and graduated in 2016 but the job market is tough here. Suggest me some way in which I could get a job here.

Jun 23, 17 11:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: