Archinect
anchor

Moonlighting?

shellarchitect

Some of the regular's here may remember that I recently received my architect license, so my question is, what should I do next? I know this is a super open ended question...

I'd always planned on moonlighting for once I got the license, but my recent new job (which I rather like) explicitly forbids moonlighting.  I don't know how hard and fast that rule is....

Has anyone ever really been fired for moonlighting?

I really like the idea of providing architectural services in exchange for project equity. The goal being to 1) work on interesting projects and 2) start to really build wealth as opposed to a bi-weekly paycheck.

Dec 15, 15 12:59 pm
no_form
I think the tricky part will be getting time off to get drawings reviewed by the city during the permit process. Also site visits once construction begins if that's part of your service.
Dec 15, 15 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

I've moonlighted at firms that had written policies specifically prohibiting it.  I always talked to the principals about it - assuring them that the work would never interfere with the firm's work, was not in markets competing with the firm, and that I'd never use the firm's time or resources to complete side work.  Usually I got the comment "we'd prefer that you try to bring projects to the firm" - and I always agreed I'd do so if the projects were appropriate (i.e. large enough, and in an area in which the firm pursued work.) 

That said, I have seen more than one person fired for it - when outside work was discovered on company servers or when drawings or documents were inadvertently left in copiers, printers, etc. 

I've also seen it become a deciding factor in layoffs, with employers rationalizing that by moonlighting the employees were showing that they: weren't as interested in and invested in the firm's work; weren't as loyal; and were less dependent on their employment, or would more easily find new positions.

Dec 15, 15 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Keep it to yourself

Do NO work on company time

Do NOT use company computers, software, printers, etc.

Dec 15, 15 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Yes, it may also be a litigation issue should you move on - particularly if your new work relates to the moonlighting.

Dec 15, 15 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Just don't be stupid with it,

Dec 15, 15 3:37 pm  · 
 · 

architectural services in exchange for project equity

Good luck with that. Very easy to squeeze the architect right out of the equation. 

Dec 15, 15 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Sullivan fired Wright for it! 

Dec 15, 15 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Ha, forgot about the most famous incident. Equity- easy to say, not sure how it would actually work

Dec 15, 15 8:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: