Archinect
anchor

What is it like being an Architect? what are the process like?

yune46

I am a Junior in High school, and like others, I have to start to seriously consider my future and my career. I always fancied myself being an architect and had interest in Architect. The fact that I could build/design a house or building that could hold others and also the fact that houses or building is the first image captured whenever anyone goes anywhere puts a big emphasis on the importance of architectures. Despite my interest in architecture field, I would like to know what it is like being an Architect and what the steps/processes (hardship, time, etc.) are like starting college to actual career. I am well aware that it is going to be difficult. I am opened to both pros/cons. I would really appreciate to any college students who is currently taking architectural major or architects who are willing to share their experiences. Thank you so much. If I am fully convinced or come up with a decision to become an architect, I will create another forum regarding future questions.

Dec 14, 15 11:47 am
Non Sequitur

It all depends where you intend of studying and or working when your education is complete. Most places require formal undergraduate and masters level degrees but other places do not. Without specifying a country, it's rather hard to offer up anything.

Many students never complete the internship and therefore never actually become architects who call the design shots, so to speak. Many become holed up in draftsmen territory with student loans equal to a decent mortgage and see the profession through heavily biased eyes.

Perhaps you should see if any local universities have architecture programs and open-house type events. Speak to students and professors in person instead of searches or asking vague generic questions to strangers. Why so lazy on such a (potentially) big life decision?

Dec 14, 15 11:54 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Have you considered being a pharmacist? 

Dec 14, 15 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

http://www.ncarb.org/Becoming-an-Architect.aspx

check out this website.  it will explain the process for becoming an architect in the United States.  

Dec 14, 15 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
yune46

Thank you so much for the comments. It seems true that I haven't done much self-research and work on my own. I hope its not too late to start now. Again thank you so much for your opinions and comments

Dec 15, 15 10:21 am  · 
 · 
bhidalgo
Have you looked into any introduction to architecture programs offered by schools for high school students? I know university of Texas, USC and SCI-arc has summer programs for high school students. It might be worth checking out. Also if you personally know a local architect that maybe you can work for as a "gopher" or model maker (sorry you may be taking advanced revit for all I know) or help out for a couple of days per week. Spending time in an architecture office or around a studio in an architectural school will go a long way. We can tell you that architecture is the most rewarding/ painful profession, architecture school was one of the greatest/ worst experience of our lives, you will some of the most interesting/ boring/ craziest people ever and taking the licensing exams suck/ suck, but if you can get some first hand exposure it help you in your journey. I hope this helps, good luck!
Dec 16, 15 12:43 am  · 
 · 
yune46

Thank you so much bhidalgo. I recently realized that one of my friend's dad is an architect. I am thinking to work as possible intern or something for experience. Also, my top 3 school I wanted to get into was SCI-Arc, Parsons, and Pratt. I did look into the summer programs for high school students. I am 90% there convincing my parents for the program. I do believe that summer programs would never be a regrettable experience because I think I would gain alot of information and experience from it. I think nothing is better than first-hand experience. Thank you again so much!

Dec 16, 15 11:48 am  · 
 · 
What is it like to be an architect?

Some says it's a major pain in the ass. Some days it's one of the greatest feelings in the world. On those days you get to see something you created leave a tangible impact on the world. I imagine that feels like seeing your child born, but I haven't experienced that and won't for the foreseeable future.
Dec 16, 15 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

Do consider to becoming a pharmacist?

Dec 17, 15 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

the worst part about architecture is that ordinary people don't really know what is really like to be an architect!! people think the ultimate architecture is in "Burj Khalifa" or that stupid skyscrapers or sculptural designs they see, and they think to be an architect is nothing but to design something "beautiful"!! they think our job is easy and they don't know how much time I spend just casting the shadows of my building..! 

however, I can still say that studying architecture really opened my eyes on the world and offered me knowledge and experience I couldn't imagine I would have.. 

the truth is, architects can create and control environments, they can change the world if they want to..! 

Dec 18, 15 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^Zaina, a garbage man can change the world if he want to as well.

Change  the amount of time spent calculating the casting of shadows with "double checking flooring transition types" and you're much closer to the real profession.

Also, no one thinks the Burj is the ultimate example of architecture.

Dec 18, 15 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Architecture is the art of spending other peoples money to entertain other architects.

Dec 18, 15 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don't know about that jla-x. My project's contractors seem to do a better job at spending my client's money than I can.

Dec 18, 15 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

I was speaking from my own perspective... I'm sure by the time I graduate all of these ideas is gonna change (maybe).. but I'd never give up! 

Dec 18, 15 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: