Archinect
anchor

free standing, reinforced concrete spiral staircase, suspended floors

joannaksiazek92

hi everyone

In a nutshell I'm a second year Interior Design student and I'm seeking for help for for my project. Basically I'm designing contemporary art gallery with a secret bar. The space I'm going to use are vaults in a tower , which is 150 years old and is made out of limestone brick. The vaults are about 20 metres high, 5 metres wide and 15 metres long, My idea is to place free standing spiral staircase which will go through two vaults- the total height of the staircase is going to be 27 metres. In the middle of a staircase there will be a chandelier which will be the same height. The material I'm planning to use for the staircase is going to be reinforced concrete and the stairs would be probably pre-casted. I would like also to highlight that each vault is gonna have 2 floors ( ground and first floor) so the staircase would have 3 runs of 9 metres. 

Regarding what I've just described I have some questions which I struggle with:

1.QUESTIONS ABOUT THE STAIRCASE .

What are the possibilities of such high free standing staircase ? Is it possible to build it and how ? Will it be strong enough or will there be a need to have some extra support like columns on each floor? Or maybe the staircase will need to be  attached to the side walls of the vaults so it will gain extra strenght?

2.QUESTIONS ABOUT SUSPENDED FLOORS.

At the moment the vaults have only ground floors. Due to the fact, that they are 20 metres high each, I would like to put suspended floors in each vault and and use in-situ concrete as a material for flooring . What are the possibilities of this material ?Is it possible to use it or the floors will be too heavy and will be likely to collapse? How could I make the floors stronger but at the same time no heavier ? -maybe columns under floors for extra support form underneath?Is there any other material which could be used as a substitute?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE FOR HELP!!!

Thank You in advance:)

Joanna

Dec 10, 15 6:58 pm
gruen
You are hanging a new floor off an existing roof? Won't work - you will overload the roof.

Probably can support the stair off the existing floor, maybe need a new footing.
Dec 12, 15 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Silly interior designer. Just spec sky hooks and you're good to go.
Dec 12, 15 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Yeah when I re read it said oh, get an architect.
Dec 12, 15 3:46 pm  · 
 · 

Wait- Isn't the proposal for the library renovation at Cornell?

Dec 12, 15 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

Isn't this the proposal...

Dec 12, 15 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

OP, what you're showing doesn't work. someone with a background in architecture or engineering could figure out a way to make this work, but it would change some elements of your design and require a thoughtful discussion with you to come up with a workable concept which suits your intent.

the biggest problem will be the vault system. Vaults don't support loads in the way you are using them. If you want to make it easy, frame the whole thing out of steel sections and attach brick surfaces to the steel framing.

again, this isn't giving you a detailed answer. to make this design work would take more effort and understanding of your project than can happen on an internet forum. Ask your professor to guide you to resources within your school. I know you are doing a school project, but in reality this kind of design would require cooperation with architect and maybe engineer to develop.

Dec 12, 15 10:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: