Archinect
anchor

3D Printing

JohnBruner

Hi all! 

I am curious if architects would think that 3D printing their renderings from their portfolios would be a useful tool. 

Dec 9, 15 11:30 am
archiwutm8

You can 3D print renderings? damn the times are moving fast, back in my day we printed it on paper.

Dec 9, 15 11:39 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

nope.

you can search the forums with the 'search' function and find that this topic has been discussed before.  my guess is that there are far more people who want to start 3d printing businesses than there are people who want something 3d printed.

Dec 9, 15 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Why would I want buildings from my portfolio 3D-printed? I can just point to the front door and let people walk around and/or through them at 1 to 1 scale.

Dec 9, 15 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
thatwaybro

Well if you can create something cool then why not. I think the more diverse a portfolio is, the better. 

Like this Empire State print:
https://pinshape.com/items/11838-3d-printed-empire-state-building

I have a feeling the architect behind Empire State is not on this forum - Well not yet ;)

Jan 29, 16 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
mgordeeva250

Hi,

I'm far from an expert in this area, but I suppose it would be a useful tool, especially when you need something like visual aids in your report, for example.

Sep 15, 16 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

In my mind, I see 3d printing taking a backseat at this point to vr & ar,

Read this months issue of metal architecture, "Bringing Bldgs to Life"

Sep 15, 16 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

Agreed- A VR/AR that has been addressed to an image in a report would be  far better than a photograph of a 3d printed object (eg. Clickable paper connected to a vr model). 

I think they're just different mediums that are used at different times in project development.

Sep 15, 16 1:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: