Archinect
anchor

Internship in South Korea...

Hello,

I'm a 3rd year architecture student in France. I've been thinking recently about having an internship in Asia and especially South Korea or Japan..but a lot of questions drives me crazy. After doing some researches, I've found that there are many firms where interns aren't paid even if the amount of work is huge..life in South Korea is also stressing me out since not too many koreans speak in english..I'm totally lost and I don't even know if there are good firms that accepts interns coming from abroad. If someone has more informations about the subject, he is more than welcome.

Thanks in advance!!

( I thought about going to Dubai or Australia or even the States, but I'm not sure at all about what I'll be doing since everything seems so hard to accomplish right now..)

Dec 8, 15 7:26 pm
Victhor

What do you want to have with an internship abroad? I mean: Do you want to live the experience of living in another country for a period of time?, do you want a work experience to make you more valuable for future jobs in that country or in your country?. Do you need a salary to cover almost all your expenses?

I don't know about South Korea, but Japan seems a very dificult place to find an internship, all the work is done in japanese, and interns usually get exploitative unpaid works, from 10am to 12 in the midnight, as cad-monkeys or model makers. Look at the comments at the bottom of this article: http://www.dezeen.com/2013/06/05/unpaid-architecture-internships-in-japan-are-a-nice-opportunity/

Also you could ask for general information about the situation in Japana in the french office of this japanese architect: http://kotarohoriuchi.com/careers-en/staff-en/opendesk/?lang=en

Dec 9, 15 8:10 am  · 
 · 

Hello Victhor, thanks a lot for your answer.

I would like to gain more work experience by going abroad and especially discover a new culture. Having an internship in South Korea or Japan sounded cool because I've always wanted to go there, but it isn't easy at all. So I might give up the idea..

Can you please recommend me some good firms well known for accepting international architecture students for internships? Maybe in Europe? In the States? or even Australia? And of course I would like to get paid to cover all my expenses. Thanks a lot!

Dec 9, 15 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
BR.TN

Rim, anything that sounds cool should never be the easiest thing to do. You shouldn't be discouraged by overwhelming amounts of hard work. I don't mean to be condescending, but this world is large and if something sounds cool to you it likely sounds cool to someone else too. Championship boxing tickets are very expensive.

Never be the underachiever. "You can have an easy life OR an awesome one" [NOT BOTH]: http://99u.com/articles/33675/you-can-have-an-easy-life-or-an-awesome-one-choose-wisely

Sorry this doesn't directly contribute to your success, but hopefully it influences your perspective...

Dec 9, 15 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

Sorry Vichtor but your article is written like a Bush-ism.

You're either with the terrorists, or us.

Life, and design, is far more nuanced. Find out what you love doing, and it might not be the penniless work which you value so highly. I know several highly competent technical architects who find pleasure in rationalizing complex form for Zaha. It pays - even when she doesn't pay the star-struck drones on the ground floor. 

One of the more successful professors at my university had an architecture-development firm. He was financially successful, and brought a new urban sensitivity to profit driven design. SHoP is another  example of a firm that functions within this gray area. 

Also, good on the student for questioning his professor. Part of being a critical and creative thinker is not thoughtlessly gulping down whatever academia feeds you. 

Dec 9, 15 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Victhor

^^ I think yo refer to BR.TN article, not mine.

For Rim:

It's very complicated to find where is the best place to go...

I've already finished M.Arch in Spain and I have been researching where to go for some time, and also with big dilemmas. I could go to the best paid place, to the one a like the most, to the one that assures me a good job in the far future...

As you're only 3rd course, I don't think you'll get a reasonable salary anywhere, so maybe you preffer to go on a students interchange (erasmus). Also, there must be some internship abroad public program in France, with grants. Maybe Erasmus+ ? you should ask in your university.

For me, my final choice is China, and I expect to start sending CVs there soon. Foreign architects are well valued, they pay, they give you interesting work, and living in China seems an interesting experience.

But there's also the option to go to the USA, through a J1 internship visa, there must be french companies that help you with the visa, paying them about 1500-2000 euros, and you are free to find your internship in american companies that hire you.

Also you can go to Australia with a students visa, you'll have to register to some school (maybe for an english course), and you're allowed to find a part-time job.

In Europe, you'll have some chances in the UK, Switzerland, Poland and maybe Norway. If you want to assure your future, you should try in Switzerland, there's a ot of well paid jobs there for architects, but they must know the language, you already speak french, but if you could also speak german, it would be better, it seems the german parts are better, but also some people says it's a boring country...

Speaking perfect French, Morocco could also be an option. And in Dubai, it seems dificult to find and internship or entry-level jobs, they usually want experienced people, and it seems to be a boring place.

And about South Korea I don't know anything!, I hope you can find some info, maybe it's not that impossible. Tokyo would also be my first choice, it's completely amazing, but it seems too dificult.

Dec 10, 15 7:48 am  · 
 · 

Thank you guys for your comments, I really appreciate that!

Victhor:

What you said was really interesting. I'm originnaly from Morocco and I came to France to study architecture, so I speak Arabic, French and English , this is why going to Dubai seemed like a good idea since they speak both in Arabic and English, they are also well known for leading huge projects. I thought that interns are well paid over there but since I'm only a 3rd year student, I don't have much experience as you said.

I'm actually pursuing a double degree with an engineering school so I don't have the right to go on a student interchange , this is why I thought about having a year ceisure and finding internships abroad. A chance to discover new cultures and gain more experience. The program Erasmus + is only available for students who are looking for internships in Europe.. which is not really my case. Sewitzerland is a nice place but very expensive and I don't speak german..

Anyway thanks a lot for your informations , it helped me a lot :) I'll tell you about my final choice if I ever find something intersting. Have fun in China!!

Dec 10, 15 10:24 am  · 
 · 
hagisgold

As a South Korean, I guess I could describe to you how it is to work in here. 

Internships are usually paid, not much, but enough for one's living in Seoul. 

Unpaid internships are rare unless you're working by a personal connection. It didn't used to be like this, but for the recent 5~6 years, political issues regarding labor environments were always on the news that brought up a social sense, which is good. 

English is literally considered as the second language here, everybody pretty much will understand what you say including the owners. So I would say don't be afraid of the language barriers, unless for a few old firms. 

However, there is a unique (strange) work culture here that you need to know. Since all males are obliged to serve in the army for 2~3 years, somehow the military-like ways of thinking greatly affects the working environment. Social hierarchy is critical (like an army), people will expect you to "get shit done" as if ordering(military wise). I've been to the army and fully understand how this works, so it's not that stressful for me. But I've seen many people being stressed out of this certain attitude. 

Furthermore, at least in a few firms I've experienced (both large and small), tend to hesitate to hire foreign interns due to this matter. There is a stereotype towards foreigners as of being "lazy and selfish" (sorry for the strong words, please do not be offended for anyone reading this). You will have to overcome this to experience more meaningful work, or else you'll end up coloring floor plans that probably won't go on a presentation. 

Seoul is a great city, and lots of interesting works are being done here. I just wanted to give you a heads up on what you'll be experiencing here. 

Dec 10, 15 8:14 pm  · 
4  · 
thompson's gazelle

As another South Korea, I partially disagree with what hagisgold said. 

Yes, internships are usually paid, but it's nowhere close to support your living costs in Seoul. You'll probably get paid around 1000 USD if you land an internship at a corporate firm. Sometimes this will be the regular wage for full-time entry-level employees at smaller offices. Unless you intern part-time and go teach French somewhere (which will bring you enough money) you can't just survive with intern wage in Seoul. 

English is not the second language here. Of course, the majority would understand casual words or phrases, but if you start talking about architecture, it's very difficult to communicate. This difficulty will naturally give you less meaningful work, unless there's a project in a French speaking country going on. I see a few foreign employees here, and they mostly work on translation, visual representation and 3d-modeling. 

The work-ethics are pretty hardcore as hagisgold said, where unpaid overtime is a given and going home as late as possible is a virtue. But this is gradually changing, and really depends on which team you work with. In general, you go home if you get your shit done--the amount of work or the scheduling of your day depends on the combination of your social skills, professional skills, and luck I guess.

If you want to come to Korea for an internship (and survive), I'd say there are two viable options. One is applying to Gensler's Korean office--this is the only international firm in Korea as far as I know. The language barrier would be much lower there, and I think they would let you go at a reasonable hour for your second job. 

The other is to apply to Korean Universities as an exchange student. In Korea, the relationship between professors and students are like parents and children. If you tell them you're looking for an internship, they will do their best to get you a job. 

Seoul is indeed a lovely fun city, but it's going to be tough if you're looking specifically for an architecture job.

Dec 10, 15 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
starkkitect

there's a Korean Office for Gensler? as a korean living here in korea i've never heard of this..

Mar 4, 21 11:26 am  · 
 · 
hagisgold

@thompson's gazelle

Nice to see another Korean out here. In terms of payment, I meant "enough" as in terms of survival (paying rents and meals). I'm sure you'll get it. 

I would also recommend Moon Hoon's office, and SSD architecture where you would probably find a much language-friendly environment. 

Dec 11, 15 1:43 am  · 
 · 

Hey guys, thanks for your detailed responses and for your time. Your answers are very helpful to me and I will take them into consideration. 

Now it seems much more difficult than I had imagined, I wasn't aware of all the difficulties that I could meet in the professional sector in Korea. I still have 3 last question for you guys, when did you graduate? was it easy for you to find a job after getting your diploma? and finally, you speak very well in english, can I guess that you spent some years in an english speaking country?

Thanks everyone, wish you the best!!

Dec 12, 15 4:40 am  · 
 · 
thompson's gazelle

I graduated in 2013. Spent 10 years in the US (high school, college, and gradschool). Finding an architecture job in Korea was easy--having a foreign degree from a somewhat recognized institution somehow makes you a better candidate when you're looking for a job in the architecture field although I'm quite sure that's going to change pretty soon. 

Dec 13, 15 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
hagisgold

I've spent my early 8 years in the US, graduated last year in Seoul. I've also spent about two years as an intern in Seoul and New York, which made me a lot easier to get a job in Seoul. Offices here are gradually changing like gazelle's recognition; the employment market is slowly changing to self-sustain. However, a foreign degree (especially from well-known institutes) will still make it a lot easier to get a job. 

Dec 15, 15 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
raquelmarques

Hi! Im still studing for my diploma but after i finish. i would love to go to south korea to leran te language and culture. in that time i would like to be an intern and learn something abouth architectute there. im studing te korean now so i can have at leat a basic conversation. And i think its extreemly inportant to not onlly speek engish. But in the time im gonna be there im still going to need a payment it doesent have do be mucht but enough to live there. im studing in Holand, and i speek Dutch and Portuguese so i think it would be great to learn another language. I pickt korea because its a coutry i always wanted to visit and maybe live in. please help me know a little bit more abouth what my options. i also wouldent minde studing for a year in korea. like an exchange program.

Dec 22, 16 5:18 am  · 
 · 
lzo0010

Hi Raquel (I also speak Portuguese :) ). You may look to www.studyinkorea.go.kr and see some of the opportunities they have there. ;)

Dec 23, 16 10:13 am  · 
 · 
Thanima

Hi,

I'm a 2nd year B.Arch student from India and I wish to work as an intern in South Korea when I'll be in 5th year for my 6 month mandatory internship period. I'm aware of the work environment there (thanks to hagisgold and thompson's gazelle) and it is very similar to the work culture here, except its a little more relaxed here. 

People tell me I'm thinking about it too soon but tbh I feel like a lot of my seniors could've gone for better opportunities if they'd not pushed it till the last minute to apply for internships. 

My aim from working there is primarily to get a chance to explore the kind of architectural culture and approach they have there. 

I'm fluent in English, Hindi, Malayalam and have started learning Korean and German just out of interest.

Oct 14, 18 11:16 am  · 
 · 
aishwaryabagwe

Hello ,

I'm a 4th year b.arch student from Mumbai University , India. I am planning to work as a practicing architect in South korea . 

unlike others I personally find the culture and lifestyle of the people there very unique and intreasting .. 

but i m completely aware of the fact that, just finding a country or their lifestyle good enough should not be given more/prior importance atleast as a freshly graduated architect.

please can anyone recommend any specific university/institute in Seoul or Busan for practicing Indian architect or a fresher will be appreciated ! :)

Dec 11, 18 3:52 am  · 
 · 
alexiamichel

Ah, I do not know exactly how I ended up in this publication or this forum, but I am currently living in Korea and I have around half year, and I’ll continue to living here, then I’m looking for a job (part time job) of architecture, I am in my fourth year of career , but I only know how to speak Korean basic, but I can speak English and Spanish.

I am interested in working here in Seoul, not so much for the money, is for the experience, it would be of great help if some of you would recommend me a place to apply or where to start looking. 

Furthermore if someone can help me, I’ll be thankful. This is my email: [email protected]

Thanks for reading~

Jun 30, 19 7:42 am  · 
 · 
khushisingla

Hey,

I am a third year  architecture student from Mumbai university , India . I would like to apply for internship in south Korea . I wanna explore someplace which does not have European influence . So if someone can help me out with how can i apply for internship over there or do they accept indians or with the work culture there and suggest some good firms from Seoul. 

I have no information about architectural firms and internship and work culture from Seoul , So little information would be of great help.

Feb 13, 21 2:34 am  · 
 · 
Abysmal

You’ll have to do a lot of research. Check vmspace.com or archdaily for Korean architectural firms. Luckily there are many architects in Korea that started their practice in Korea with education/experience from abroad. So they’ll be more fluent and open to foreigners.

Feb 14, 21 11:19 am  · 
1  · 
Abysmal

Danielle Valle Architects is the only foreign architect practice I know in Korea.

Feb 14, 21 11:21 am  · 
 · 
khushisingla

Thanks alot . It helped me alot . I'm researching over for the firms but I'm just curious that are you from korea or are you working there? And if you are not from korean than how did you find a job there and was that eazy to manage there?

Mar 11, 21 4:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: