Archinect
anchor

Architecture and Building

greatescape

I have just broken ground on a 5,000 sqaure foot home, and this is the 16th time i tippy toe into the realm of design/build. I enjoyed every part of designing the home, and now to be the one to build it, as my clients say, "i cant see anyone else building our home but you". Thats nice and all, but i am no full time builder, and i wonder how many of you fellow professionals have done the same, aside from full time design build.

Dec 8, 15 3:03 pm
citizen

I'd say by the 16th venture you're no longer tippy-toeing but striding.  Congratulations and good luck!

Dec 8, 15 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
greatescape

Well now, thank you.

Dec 8, 15 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
bennyc

I have done it a few times, its a great experience and its something you should build on. Are you acting as the GC or are you just extending your construction administration role through the project?

Dec 13, 15 7:51 am  · 
 · 
greatescape

I would say i am extending construction administration role, clients are involved in every part of the build, financially as well, but then again, has alot of GC flair too. I am hiring subcontractors left and right, buying material etc. I love it all, i enjoy seeing my design come together by my hands, full control.

Dec 13, 15 7:49 pm  · 
 · 

As far as I'm concerned the fluidity that the design-build process allows is the key to producing superior work. Knowing your subs and their abilities, utilizing their experience and challenging them without frustrating them, etc. That it requires a trusting client goes without saying.

My only quibble is that 5,000 sq.ft. isn't a home, it's a hotel. Alas.

Dec 13, 15 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

When I was just starting out I had a construction superintendent say to me “architects don’t know anything about construction…” While offended, he was right in many regards and I vowed on that day that no one would ever say that too me again and I found a way to build what I designed and I never looked back.

You can draw anything you want, but if you don’t control the construction then what you draw won’t get built….you have to control the numbers or the numbers will control you.

Keep building!

Dec 13, 15 9:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: