Archinect
anchor

Looking into being an Architect

I am currently in high school, and like many high school students I don't know what I want my career to be. I have had an interest in architecture but I don't really know what to do or how to learn more. I am a sophomore in high school and there isn't any clubs at my school about architecture. I want to learn more about it and see if this is really what I would like to be in life. I know that you have to be good in math but other than that I don't know much about it. I am at a high level in math, currently taking AP Calculus AB which means next year I will take Multi-variable Calculus. Is this high enough? Are there any classes that I should take in high school to help me build experience?

Thank you.

Dec 8, 15 1:29 am
I took Calculus in College as it was required for one of the architecture programs I wanted to transfer into.

Haven't used it since, so you're fine on your math. If there is a drafting class take that. Take some art classes too, especially ones dealing with drawing. It will help. See if your parents know any architects who would let you come and see what it's like.

And don't listen to the people that reply below me scaring you away from the profession. I've come to the conclusion that's they are trying to keep their spot in the field (or picked the wrong profession for themselves).
Dec 8, 15 4:21 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Or try to warn the younger ones...if you have a passion go for it, if you don't know what you want to do please research and try to get some work experience in an office first, so you can see how it really is.

Ask yourself some questions and don't just jump into it.

Do you want to be 30 something with massive debt, getting out of your masters earning as much as a 21 year old engineering student?

Do you actually know what architecture is?

Is this a passion/interest?

PS: Movies do not depict the architecture profession correctly.

Dec 8, 15 5:08 am  · 
 · 
midlander

your profile says you live in Santa Ana, which is a pretty well developed area and must have some small and mid sized architecture firms. Search on the website for the american institute of architects for firms based nearby - send them an email or call to see if someone could meet you and show you their office to get some idea of the work they do. Maybe the local AIA even has a high school outreach program or some kind of career advice day. It will help you get a sense what the real job is like and if its something you want to pursue.

I did a job shadow at a local firm in high school, and it gave me a much better idea what kind of education I needed to get to do the work I was interested in.

Honestly, being good at writing, speaking and working with other people are all more important than math skills. A real interest in art and history help a lot too. The only time I use math at work is when I need to split the bill for lunch with coworkers.

Dec 8, 15 10:12 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Disabuse yourself of the notion immediately- look into medicine.  With government intervention into healthcare and the worsening human condition, there will be lots of money flowing thru this industry...

Dec 8, 15 10:15 am  · 
 · 
anonitect

Josh is right about learning how to draw, and also about you needing to take what you read here with a grain of salt. If your thread goes like most do, it will get ugly. The forum is not representative of the field.

Aside from classes, and getting a tour of a local firm, do some reading on your own. The design blogs are good for seeing new projects, but they're all pretty fluffy.  I'd recommend Salvadori's Why Buildings Stand Up and Why Buildings Fall Down. And of course David Macaulay's books are great.

Dec 8, 15 10:42 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Olix, your first attempt at spam failed so you're trying again?
Dec 10, 15 8:01 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Olix do you like windows? did you know windows are the face of your house? I think it's the first deal, you should start building your home with!

Dec 10, 15 10:46 am  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

Download sketchup and have fun with it. 

Dec 10, 15 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

Attend a summer program in architecture to experience firsthand; read architecture and sketch what you see -- finally, see architecture around you.

Dec 13, 15 8:22 am  · 
 · 
Zaina

the best advise you can possibly get is NOT to go to architecture! 

Dec 13, 15 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Dont get into architecture - by the time you will graduate and get licensed, they will be handing out license to monkeys to stamp drawings.

Dec 13, 15 1:11 pm  · 
 · 

Thank you so much for the help. I'll be looking into firms and seeing if I can get a tour.

Jan 11, 16 3:06 pm  · 
 · 

Good on your for reaching out and asking - shows you are properly interested and thinking about planning out your future! I wanted to post because I have recently developed a website & online journal called PORTICO which are meant to help people exactly in your situation to get a feel for architecture, and to reduce the fear! You can access the journal here  - I will be adding content on things to do to prepare / book lists / subject choices etc. Although it is NZ based, I think that the general principles are applicable for all. 

And - going to an office is a great idea! As a high school student, I also spent a day shadowing a university student in first semester. Was really interesting :)

Jan 13, 16 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

The health aspect is easily overlooked. 

Architecture ranks #7 in the top 10 stressful jobs in America (probably within white-collar jobs). 

It may not be 100% accurate - even so, they have a point.

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-stressful-jobs-2011-4?op=1

Jan 14, 16 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

but it's #1 in sex appeal!

http://womeninarch.weebly.com/the-sexiest-professions.html

Jan 14, 16 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

This reminds me of Monty Python's Lion Tamer sketch. Talking about dull,dull,dull professions :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMOmB1q8W4Y

Jan 14, 16 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
archeyarch

Draw.  And look at drawings of great work. And draw.

Jan 17, 16 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
One good point raised here is the cost of university vs what you'll make when you graduate. But this is true for so many fields. Just be careful to keep your costs low as possible. For most people an expensive education does not pay any more than an affordable one - as long as you get some name recognition you'll be OK.
Jan 19, 16 8:21 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

^  Agreed.  This is the biggest investment you will make in your life.  Do it carefully and rationally, not emotionally.

Jan 19, 16 9:05 am  · 
 · 
anonitect

^ No. You're a human, not a Vulcan. Think emotionally.  Use common sense and don't take on debt you won't be able to pay off, but life isn't a spreadsheet.

Jan 19, 16 10:15 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

^  What did I say that you disagree with?  Rationality and common sense are pretty much synonymous, aren't they?

Jan 19, 16 11:32 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Think emotionally, and use common sense don't usually go hand in hand either. And a Vulcan? WTH

Jan 19, 16 11:42 am  · 
 · 
anonitect

Geezer, Did you read my post? Did you relate it to your previous post? 

So, to beat a dead horse: You said that the OP should not use emotion when making life decisions. That's what I disagreed with. Emotion is an evolutionary gift that can be hugely beneficial in decision making -we're talking about what someone should do with their life, not whether to get a 20 year or a 30 year mortgage.

And, no, common sense and rationality are not synonymous.

Rational: based on facts or reason and not on emotions or feelings (Merriam-Webster)

Common Sense: sound and prudent judgment based on a simple perception of the situation or facts (same)

Since emotion is tied up in perception, it is part of making a common sense decision.

Why did I even bother taking the time to respond to geezertect?Because we are losing our respect for our innate abilities, like emotion. Our neo-liberal, bourgeois outlook on life doesn't value anything that can't be demonstrated empirically or described financially, and that sucks.

Jan 19, 16 11:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: