Archinect
anchor

Chances for Spanish Architect in New York City?

Victhor

Hi!
I'm a recently graduated in M.Arch (5 years) in Spain, I also have a Bachelor's degree in Building surveyor (4 years), with 2 years of experience in very different positions in Spain, mostly in construction site managing and construction costs, and in architect's offices, as assistant, 3d modeling, but not as designer, and my experience is varied, but short.
Now I'm getting ready for finding a job in Shanghai, from where I have received very positive feedback from some people and friends, and it's possible to find a job from Spain before arriving to Shanghai, and, once there, it's easy to be promoted quickly to high responsibility positions.
I'm looking for a paid internship/trainee/entry-level job, and I don't mind if the salary doesn't cover all my expenses the first 6 months.
Recently I've found that it's easy for me to obtain a J1 visa for an internship/trainee job in the USA, for a maximun of 18 months at no cost for the company hiring me, and before applying for Shanghai jobs, I'd like to do some research on New York city, but I don't have any friend there and I haven't found in internet any comments from spanish architects there, so I don't know what's the situation for foreign entry level architects there, and that's why I came to this forum.
So, does anybody here know any experiences from people working or looking for a job in New York city? I would like to know what are the chances of finding an internship/trainee job there from Spain, with skype interviews. If you tell me it's very hard for locals to find anything, I don't think I'd have a chance. I expect a salary of 13-14 $/h, less than 12 won't be affordable for me, and I wouldn't like to be a Cad monkey for too long, for the first months it's ok, as I need this job to make me more valuable for future decent paid jobs.
Also, are there any representative portfolios online to help me know what's the level there?.
I have very large experience in Autocad/Rhino/Vray/Max(rendering only)/Photoshop, and general knowledge of Sketchup, Revit, and Grasshopper. My weakness is interior design, and the language, as I'm not completely fluent in English, but it's a matter of practice. My strenght is my passion for this incredible city, I have already spent 1 month there.
Thanks for your time!.

Dec 7, 15 5:45 pm
no_form
$13-14 an hour? Sorry are you looking for work at McDonald's or architecture? You need to ask for double that.
Dec 7, 15 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
$14 an hour?
Dec 7, 15 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
flatroof

If you ask nicely, BIG will let you work there for $10/hour. It's worth it.

Dec 7, 15 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
Victhor

@no_form, @Non Sequitur

Have in mind that I'm a foreigner and intern, I'll need a time to adapt to become as productive as a local, because some things work different (regulations, construction details, language). 

Also, I have looked in http://salaries.archinect.com/ (interns, 1 year or less of experience) and it seems a very typical salary in the low range, some people are working for 5-10 $/h, and some for 20, but the average seems to be around 15.

@flatroof

Thanks, I'll think about it, but such low salary for 1 year might be a very expensive experience for me :(. 

The maths I made are these:

10 $/h means 1600$/month

12 $/h means 2000$/month

I think I'll need 2200-2500 to survive in NYC, that's why I think the minimun would be 12$/h and some little economical support from my parents, but I can't abuse for too long.

But anyway, I'd like to focus this thread on the chances of getting a job in the city and getting skype interviews. 

Dec 8, 15 6:38 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
People who work for free or low wages are fools.
Dec 8, 15 6:50 am  · 
 · 

You should be asking for at least $20/hour, which is about the average for an Intern I in NYC per the latest AIA Compensation Report. Any less and you're just devaluing yourself and the profession. The fact that you're foreign-born is irrelevant; so are half the people in NYC.

For a housing budget, the typical formula in NYC is that landlords want your gross annual income to be at least 40 times your monthly rent. So if you're making $40,000 a year, that means you can afford $1000/month in rent, which might get you a furnished bedroom in an outer neighborhood.

Dec 8, 15 7:36 am  · 
 · 
Victhor

Yes, I don't want to help to devalue the profession. That's what has happened in Spain and now being architect here is a hobby, not a job.

Thanks for your comment David Cole!

Dec 8, 15 8:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: