Archinect
anchor

lots of extra money for drafting services!

chemitas

I am a full time construction manager with a BS in construction management and an AS in drafting and design. I have been picking up a lot of side work just drafting for companies. So far I have an architect, a residential designer, and a structural engineer who I am doing a lot of the drafting work for. I am struggling to keep up with a full time job and all this side work. I am working 65 - 70 hours a week. The idea of just taking on all the CAD work for these companies full time seems appealing to me. I do not like construction management (high stress, travel, etc.) I believe I would do well probably making more money than a lot of architects out there. Is this a smart choice, or is drafting something I shouldn't even consider for full time work? 

Dec 7, 15 10:27 am
no_form
You should contact RickB-Or. He will provide you with expert advice.
Dec 7, 15 10:42 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

What is "making more money"?  Give me a number...

Dec 7, 15 10:52 am  · 
 · 
chemitas

I think I could make about 75-80k a year with the drafting work. This is contract work, so I know I need to consider taxes, insurance, etc. 

Dec 7, 15 10:55 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

that is "ok" money, but keep in mind it will be difficult to make much more than that, and very easy to make far less.  I suspect you your day job has better advancement opportunities.

Dec 7, 15 11:12 am  · 
 · 

"extra" money defines it very well. Next turn of the economy and those "extra" services will be the first to go. Architecture has been widely considered an economic forecaster because of the long lead times involved in construction projects.

Dec 7, 15 11:43 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Easy come easy go. Drafting is a dead end job in architecture.
Dec 7, 15 11:46 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Don't do it, it's good money for extra money however it's not sustainable. Drafting freelance is very rocky as its very dependant on the economics of your country .

Dec 7, 15 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Easy come easy go. Drafting is a dead end job in architecture.

Architecting is a dead end job in architecture.

Dec 7, 15 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
chemitas

Wow, too many bitter people here, but I like the honest opinions. Sounds like I should stick it out with construction management and enjoy the extra bucks I am making while it lasts.

Thanks! 

Dec 16, 15 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

By its nature, Its bitter if not what you want to hear... 

Dec 16, 15 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Prob $20-30k will go to expenses each year-including taxes.

Decent idea if you can move from drafting to architecture but if you stay in drafting your options are limited.
Dec 17, 15 8:11 am  · 
 · 
zonker

many of my fathers friends that were just drafters and not on an architecture or engineering track saw their careers plateau and descend - one in particular went from residential to furniture design 

Dec 17, 15 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
jobarch

Chemitas: Enjoy the extra side job drafting while you're doing construction management.

Dec 17, 15 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

I would think of a way to combine the two services, CM and Drafting--craft your business around 'complete service.' Something like that. Dont listen to the haters.

Dec 18, 15 2:54 am  · 
 · 

Sounds like a nice side gig you got there, chematis. congrats!

If you could find a way to systematize some of your drafting, it may create less work with the same or more income.

Drafting, like architecture and most service professions, is somewhat of a hampster wheel. When you stop hustling, your companies dies. Tough business model. I did this for a while, and once I made it my full-time gig things got much harder. 

It's amazing to work for yourself though. Good luck!

Dec 18, 15 8:50 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

I was kinda thinking the same thing. Why not do it if it pays the bills.

I take it that being a construction manager and the drafting that you speak of is quiet a bit different than the drafting that might go on in an architecture firm, right?

I cant imagine you are doing design development or composing construction documents if you're a CM. It would be interesting to hear more about what you consider drafting services.

If you where to perhaps find a niche where you provide drafting services to projects that are currently being built, such as a flashing detail for an RFI,etc...then it might be a nice gig. But you want whatever your are drafting to be in the construction phase, or relatively close to finish.

Any drafting that is in the DD and CD phase of construction is an endless hamster wheel. Much of your drafting in those phases will need constant reiterations, and you will need a very trump tight contract in bold print stating your fee scale as to not get sent thur the ringer with cheap clients.

Dec 18, 15 9:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: