Archinect
anchor

Tabloid BW Laser Print Suggestions?

Looking for a workhorse laser printer than can run off tabloid sized sheets. Duplex is standard on this class of machine I assume?

There seems to be a big jump in $$ to get there from the typical stuff off the shelf at Staples and I want to invest wisely. 

Thoughts? Recommendations? Would like to spend as little as possible obviously, but I'm realistic. 

Dec 7, 15 12:28 am
gruen
You want 11x17 because why?

I am a sole prop and bought a used HP 750c plotter $300 on Craigslist. 10+ year old machine and gets the job done for my 10 ish sheet sets. Cheap refilled cartridges and paper off the internet. It's slow and needs a bit of babying (don't all printers though?)

I also have a hp all in one from staples-does 11x17 double sided-it was $200 I think? Eats ink like crazy and the carts are expensive.

I prefer the plotter.

I'm set up for 24x36 sheets

I could switch to 11x17 but don't see the advantage right now.
Dec 7, 15 8:29 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Plotter is hp desigjet 750c. It does color but I only use it for black. This is the 1995-2005 small office workhorse plotter.

Other machine is hp office jet 7612. A staples thing. It's not a workhorse.
Dec 7, 15 8:34 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

My recollection is the 750c also does 13x19.  It was a workhorse- never had a problem with it.  Order that and you'll forget about 11x17 entirely...

Dec 7, 15 9:49 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Im sorry - I was thinking of the HP 1220c with the 13x19 capability.  Desk top Design Jet - printer type...

Dec 7, 15 11:59 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We had a 750c for a long time in our office. When it finally dropped dead, we just decided to outsource most printing.

Dec 7, 15 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
proto

I'm set up for 24x36 sheets

I could switch to 11x17 but don't see the advantage right now.

We've switched to 22x34 so that we can print 11x17 for half size sets. Makes life easier.

Full size gets sent out to a printing service and they trim to fit with no special charges.

Dec 7, 15 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
The HP plotter can be loaded w any size roll up to 36" wide.
Dec 7, 15 7:42 pm  · 
 · 

You want 11x17 because why?

I'm talking day-to-day stuff here.... no desire to run sets. Any one use anything laser based? Color is not necessary. Thanks for the feedback, everyone. 

Dec 7, 15 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Get a Brother. I think they have laser for really cheap. Inkjet full-color with $5 Chinese ink is only like $120 and it does 11 x 17 full-bleed and A3.

Dec 8, 15 12:36 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Ironically enough-get a quote from a local business machine supplier. They can help get a machine w very low cost of ownership.
Dec 8, 15 6:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: