Archinect
anchor

portfolio Critique PLEASE!

ccarry

Just looking for any comments on content and design.

Non architecture background. Art history undergrad.

any comments would be greatly appreciated 

http://issuu.com/chloecarry/docs/11.23.15_portfolio

Dec 5, 15 11:44 am
situationist

Are you using this to apply to grad school?

Didn't spend too much time reading text, but I think overall you have some decent stuff in there, a few of the drawings are pretty compelling.  I appreciated that you presented things in a fairly straightforward way (no goofy amateur "graphic design" stuff like extra lines, random boxes, and weird fonts)

however - you might want to include a little more context for your work - especially for the "Lessons in Making" coursework - maybe another paragraph explaining the exercises and your process - and what you learned.

You probably left our resume because it's the internet, but I'd definitely include that at the beginning.

Good luck!

Dec 5, 15 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
This portfolio is about 100 times better than people with architecture backgrounds applying to M.Arch programs. Not being sarcastic. Really enjoyed it.
Dec 5, 15 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
stmariml

Great Work,

I'm jealous of all your awesome drawings! I am lacking that element in a major way. 

The only thing I would I would maybe reconsider your font choice or, at least vary the weight to add emphasis to certain parts (titles, name section head).

Really great job!  

I'm also applying to 3-year track programs with no architecture background. just posted my portfolio in the threads

http://issuu.com/michaelst.marie/docs/architecture_portfolio/1

Dec 7, 15 11:17 am  · 
 · 
lourou

Theres some great content in here! Some things to consider :

1. Love the use of white space. However I would reconsider some images that you've made full bleed or taking up the whole page. It can be effective if done well, but sometimes it distracts for the awesome study sketches.

2. On your Prouns spread, the study model on the right isn't worthy of the love you've given it. First of all it's huge on the spread, and it's not very clean or refined. I think those massing axons are WAY more successful and valuable. So I'd rethink the hierarchy of that spread. 

3. Also, in many of the model photographs, you see cutting mats and clutter in the background. These things NEED to be either photoshopped out or removed completely. 

4. Some of the awesome pencil drawings you've included are a little hard to read. Throw them in Photoshop and either bump up the contrast or adjust the levels (make blacks blacker and whites whiter) so the line weights and craft can be easily noticed. 

5. Finally, maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't include an image of yourself on the cover, or even throughout the whole portfolio. The viewers don't care to see what you look like (even though you're pretty cute). Let the work speak for itself and don't allow it to become an autobiography. 

Other than that, good work! Theres some great stuff in there, and it just needs a few touches here and there! 

Dec 8, 15 4:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: