Archinect
anchor

I need to reach out for refugees or displaced people to interview and survey

Zaina

No, there're not any refugees, displaced or homeless people in my country..

I saw this kind of people with mobile devices in documentaries movies....?

...someone must know something ?

Dec 3, 15 1:08 pm
Non Sequitur

There are no homeless people in your country? Must be a nice place to live then.

Have you received ethics clearance from your university before conducting interviews?

Dec 3, 15 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

Yes.

Yes. why? is there is sthg I missed?

Dec 3, 15 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Which country is your country?

Dec 3, 15 1:28 pm  · 
 · 

How about slaves, got any of those?

Dec 3, 15 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

Non, I really don't wish to turn this into personal conversation or a strong political debate.. really wish some help..if you know how I can find these people online or via certain organizations..? 

but..If you really want to know..I live in a lost city in the Arabian gulf, in the middle of the desert.. my city is hidden with its' oases which nobody can reach  :p 

Miles.. No, except myself :p

Dec 3, 15 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Try contacting Architecture for Humanity - it's not as centralized, but you might find a chapter in areas you're interested in - they're a volunteer organization with chapters full of architects.  The founder, Cameron Sinclair, is still involved in similar endeavors.

Dec 3, 15 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

3tk.. right!! I know.. was reading "design like you give a damn" lately.

Thank you.. I'll try to contact them through facebook 

Dec 3, 15 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

3tk, Architecture for Humanity recently imploded and Sinclair left the organization for other projects.

Dec 3, 15 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

zaina, your best bet might be to try a #refugee twitter tag

Dec 3, 15 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

or she can ask her maids, they must know someone.

Dec 3, 15 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

CurtKram, Thank you much, I will

Non, for real.. I don't have any maids and I'll never, you can ask my stepmom.. I do all the house work myself... .besides, I'm looking for refugees, displaced population..

Dec 3, 15 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Come down to San Bernardino, we have a few displace people that are concerned about their safety after 2 muslim terrorists went on a rampage

Dec 3, 15 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

KYM (Kimse Yok Mu)

They are out of Turkey.

Dec 3, 15 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

Doctors without Borders

Dec 3, 15 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

z1111- ben saniyourom ..

Dec 3, 15 3:37 pm  · 
 · 

^ I should know better than to ask, but what does that mean?

Dec 3, 15 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

My mates in Dubai have some slaves just go Dubai.

Dec 3, 15 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

Zania, if I recall correctly you are studying in the states. What region? And out of curiousity- why?

Dec 3, 15 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

Marc- I'm designing a prototype of a rapid deployable emergency unit, I've already found some organization in my country (2 actually) that would support my project and send the experimental prototype for a very small numbers of people who need it (if they were happy with the end product).. so, I feel like need to talk to the potential users of these units to get their feedback and probably report it....

and no, i'm studying in the middle east, you can tell from the English mistakes I make 

archiwutm- when this hostility is going to stop? if you have drivers and workers in London, then you call them slaves? at least here there are laws that specify their minimum wages, so they don't get used or underpaid. 

sameolddoctor - if you buy me a ticket, I would travel to Jordan.. the 3rd largest city there is a refugee camp 

z1111- Ops, though will have a new Turkish friend :p 

Dec 4, 15 4:12 am  · 
 · 
Zaina

archiwutm- so you're now busy digging in our new instead of yours? go read London papers, I'm sure they preview lots of shitty events! and you're giving me links that are very old news pieces from 2013,2014 ..you couldn't find anything for the year?! so if we have those few crimes in the whole country per year, this will be a low crime rate (extremely low)

besides, you're off the topic.. that what really tells me you're very young and rush guy derived merely by his instant emotions.. it's not how you keep your game up 

Dec 4, 15 7:45 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

What the hell are you on about? calm your tits mate, you execute anyone that does anything. However on a serious note any charity may give you permission or hook you up with someone to interview, homeless folk like to talk about their stories and what they'd like to see in the future.

Source: Me and a few mates did this when we were studying.

Dec 4, 15 8:16 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Funny how the OP is ignorant that her country/region is still very much alive in the slavery business. I guess Mommy and Daddy's money bought her some high-quality blinders.

Dec 4, 15 8:27 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Non Sequitur - It's like North Korean tbh, the people are blinded by what they are told.

Dec 4, 15 8:31 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Yep, and we'd be executed just the same for saying it so.

Dec 4, 15 8:35 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I wonder if the OP has actually left her house and gone around her region or even talked to maids/slaves in her region as 1 to 1 equals.

Dec 4, 15 8:39 am  · 
 · 
Zaina

Non.. you have such an awful attitude that spans over other threads.. stereotyping, jumping to assumptions, hatred, and pre-judging any situation and a lot of other things .. get lost from here

archiwutm- great you found somebody to clap his hands for you..  btw any necessary money that come to my pocket i give to charity, but it's hard to meet with displaced people in person.. and maids are not my targeted users .. so stop this kind of speculations about me just bcz i'm an arab!!  

"I guess Mommy and Daddy's money" .. mommy and daddy barely know me.. mommy= never knew since i was 5, and daddy= he's a scary guy,i don't talk to .. 

Dec 4, 15 9:31 am  · 
 · 
Zaina

Non, How many time I have to flag your silly comments? 

Dec 4, 15 9:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Awful attitude? Nah, must be your first day on the Internets. We're jumping to assumptions here because you claimed there are no homeless people in your country and we know that to be dead wrong. Slavery is rampant, although under a different name, is a large majority of the gulf countries. Facts are facts.

But, I'll apologize for any harm perceived by the mom/dad comment. My wife is an orphan and now teaches many in similar households. I'll poke fun at anything but that.

On a serious note, pick up a copy of Planet of Slums by Mike Davis. One of the best books I've ever read and it fits your wheelhouse.

Dec 4, 15 9:42 am  · 
 · 
Zaina

Non, I'm not cheering for any kind of discrimination that's happening in any part of the world or any society, and I stated that before.. one type of discrimination is against women and you hell have no idea how that affect my life! it's just true that everybody is under a roof in the country i live in (and i'm just a guest there, so please don't drive me to discuss political stuffs).. ..still, my targeted users are displaced population.. thanks much for the book suggestion, it really seems interesting 

Dec 4, 15 10:07 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You're welcome.

Dec 4, 15 10:14 am  · 
 · 

Zaina,

You need to look at the un guidelines for refugee camps. Given that they will most likely be the "sponsor," you start with their rules. 

Then, you look at "native urban form," and urbanism in general to determine how the un masterplan would transform over time. 

Look at older un camps to see how this happens and the subtle differences based on cultural habits. You won't get this from interviews.

Finally,  look up Killian Kleinschmidt (sp?)

Dec 4, 15 10:16 am  · 
 · 
3tk

Non Sequitur - yes and no, the chapters have organized themselves to continue the mission.  The centralizing of the chapters didn't work out, but most of the chapters were well run on their own. 

Dec 4, 15 11:05 am  · 
 · 
Zaina

Marc, thanks.. I've already looked into sphere standards and other guidelines for emergency transitional shelters and many others (piles of PDF files). I was also reading several books on different topics like "Spontaneous Shelter: International Perspectives and Prospects." and "Deplyable structure" and done some researches in different related topics already.. . and still have a lot to look for, as you suggested...still, the user feedback is a key element and is a requirement .. but I figured out that maybe I can do a rapid evidence assessment based on already published data and interviews .. and indeed it will also help looking up Killian Kleinschmidt and people who run the camps.. 

Dec 4, 15 11:40 am  · 
 · 

Zania, 

To be clear- this is most likely THE standard that is most relevant for your project. I need to draw the standards as they relate to a site and it's context- not just read them. As  form of urbanism, you need to consider landscape as part of the generative form and not just singular objects.

Dec 4, 15 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

Marc,

I’m aware…however, my project isn’t really designed to integrate with the context and the landscape.. it is designed to force itself in any context and any climate and form a new urban community as it is supposed to be portable deployable self-sufficient (closed system) emergency units (something like the Exo reaction units which are the best in the market (not the best designed) but relatively expensive)… that’s why I’m collecting standards that are related to several topics (transitional shelters, materials, deployable structures, shipment container, water and energy necessary consumption and sustainable production, … and a lot of stuffs).. anyways, I enjoy reading even if the topic is related but not really connected to the project.. thank you for caring 

Dec 4, 15 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
" it is designed to force itself in any context and any climate." Zaina, I would fail you instantly for doing that. One size fits all does not work.
Dec 4, 15 4:27 pm  · 
 · 

"it is designed to force itself in any context and any climate and form a new urban community as it is supposed to be portable deployable self-sufficient (closed system) emergency units"

That is the UN model. And it never works because the way it is written because landscapes have a tendency to break standardized models- the same way people do.

Dec 4, 15 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

I've written that it's to be standardized in the report (based on one of my instructor's suggestion), but I still have a hypothetical (actually 3)site that I did an analysis for....

Marc, couldn't be the reason that the UN units are cheap?

I mean sthg like this have worked..

and this lexus winning award design is to be applied in different climates..

Dec 4, 15 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

Here's where the whole project falls apart (which is the interesting part).

They work if you give someone(s) a tent or a similar structure and then expect them to work with just that, but it never really works that way does it? The sublime tent images don't reveal how different cultures use their surroundings, or how the surroundings impact how the shelter is used (eg. gardening- how many sf/pp in the tent if it's supposed to be an enclosed system). In addition, they don't address density or time.  The shelters on the truck will work if you provide a miniature plinth for them, so already you are talking about site selection to minimize manipulation. 

You really should look at the un system in multiple locations to see how one thing is manipulated by the user at individual and urban scales. Look for some camps in Africa and look at the aerial images. It's not that they are cheap, it's that people take ownership and adapt them because they have no other place to dwell in.

Dec 4, 15 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

Marc,

in a temporary project like this (6 months - 3 year max) survival is what matters the most, and it doesn't mean that the project doesn't respond to humanitarian and psychological needs of individuals like creating a sense of community (for example when the units are designed to be fixed together in a circular manner with a common cooking space or a central space where people gather) and encouraging social solidarity (one way could be the deployment method than require multiple individuals each doing a specific task to successful deploy the model or the design of different methods of survival integrated within each unit that require all individuals efforts) and a sense of security and privacy .. so here i'm looking at users as individuals who need survive (physically and physiologically) and stay temporary and comfortably in this shelter units.. the manner the units will be stacked together and create a community will also be considered in the design phase, I believe small technical details in the unit design can determine the urban form of the entire camp (simply like how that units can be fixed together) .. of course the UN model would have failed, aside that they're cheap and they don't have enough resistance against climatic forces, they don't respect human needs.. humans reactions themselves are standardized when it comes to disasters...  

Dec 5, 15 3:52 am  · 
 · 
Zaina

I went back to the guidelines I have.. there were parts that are very useful, but the thing is that I can't soely rely on them because they're addressing mostly transitional shelters not rapid portable deployable units

Dec 5, 15 4:24 am  · 
 · 

I'm not picking a fight, but-

temporary- 

That's mostly a given for camps, but also a failure of  refugee camps. (Third reason why you need to look at the UN model and Kleinschmidt. Seriously look at the recent history of these temporary camps. That or just make a temporary suburb for burring man.

creating a sense of community-

Pull a bunch of people out of their homes, tear down that community and then replace the community with a condition that is only to last three years  and new (temporary) neighbors. That doesn't make a sense of community, it devastates it. There was research done with respect this and US public housing in the 50's (MIT). The psychological effects are devastating, and they last well beyond your 3 year horizon. However, one way to improve the situation is to allow a level of ownership and place making. Sad to say, this takes more than 3 years... 

a sense of security and privacy

Thats a basic tenet, but still does not address the psychological impact of mass displacement.    People move far slower than portable shelters, and communities. 

Put another way-

Well, here's your home. No, don't "unpack" too much, you're leaving soon. When? That we don't know, but you are leaving. No... Please don't modify anything, we've made this shelter perfect for you and your family of (3.25). And please don't consider self- sustenance. We will provide you with food at the common shelters located in the other part of the camp.

No...  Again, we really don't know when you are leaving, but you are.  We plan on running this camp differently this time. Where to? Can't tell you that either, but rest assured you'll be safe wherever that is.

Sorry, I don't know the people next to you. We've got cameras installed everywhere,  but needless to say you should always keep your eyes open. And sorry, I have no idea where your neighbors and and relatives have been relocated to (Nb. you could actually change this part of the story with non-architectural tech- that could be interesting)

In the meantime, here's your shelter. Please do not alter it in the event that there is another displacement crisis.

Welcome home! (barely audile muffled "next!" in the background)

This is the point when I would walk away from a desk so as to avoid circular discussions, so I will do the same here...

Dec 5, 15 8:06 am  · 
 · 
If you are forcing your will on a project, not only are you failing at that project, you are failing at architecture. Nothing you do should ever be described as forcing something.
Dec 5, 15 10:55 am  · 
 · 
Zaina

Marc,

I understand, but .. since my first proposal was rejected by the department -- which was basically focusing on a particular Syrian refugee camp in Jordan --  for reasons like  .. the site was not in the country (knowing that I was willing to travel and visit/study the camp), and that they didn't want to go into issues like the land tenure or any other political discussions that could arise.. so I was forced to zoom in and focus on the design of the unit ..  (and maybe the mirco-society...(which I'll try to push in a way or another).. now  this design task is actually a crossing between mechanical engineering, architecture, and industrial design to produce  "the unit" which can be addressed to different type of users, summer campers, homeless, displaced population in a situation like a natural hazards or political conflict.. so in this case there are other critical issues need to be considered like the weight of the unit, the ease of deployment, the strength of the unit, etc..

Dec 5, 15 12:25 pm  · 
 · 

Zaina,

For your reference. 

http://www.gizmag.com/disaster-emergency-relief-shelter-best/40699/

Dec 7, 15 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

an architect's job isn't to design micro-societies, it's to design buildings.

Dec 7, 15 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Curtkram, is it really? An architect's job is whatever the architect feels they are responsible for, I'd say it's to design spaces for specified purpose and use.

Dec 8, 15 4:20 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Why would you want to design something with no regard to the history, heritage, and preferences of the people being "helped" or of the resources already available in the country where they are being sent? After the New Orleans hurricane the most popular housing was the "Katrina" cottage because it spoke directly to the background of the people in need and gave them a psychological reassurance. You seem to be following the "glass box for everything" philosophy of Le Corbusier which was and is an epic fail.

Dec 8, 15 8:02 am  · 
 · 

Zaina,

A few suggestions you might consider,

If you used local materials and methods it would help reduce cost(transportation among them) and more importantly it would provide employment and a sense of purpose.

Shelter is important, but potable water and basic sanitation are as well. The WHO has some standards you can reference and there is a new technique of solar disinfection you can research as well.

Places like Africa present added problems. Crocodiles kill more people in Africa than any other animal, many from using surface water for laundry and bathing, so you need to consider the context.

Please do not get angry at the suggestion, but the focus, in my opinion, should be on viable, cost effective solutions, not on using it as an excuse for making an interesting form.

my 2 cents

Dec 8, 15 9:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: