Archinect
anchor

Choosing the right M. Arch I Program (for me) in 2015

db1234

Hello everyone,

I am a recent NYU-graduate with a BFA in Studio Art and a second major in Urban Design & Architectural Studies, applying to M. Arch I programs for Fall 2016.  Receiving a Masters in Architecture has always been my main academic goal, and I am seeking a program centered around modern design applications, "sustainability" (I am aware that this is a focus of pretty much any serious graduate programs, but some have a stronger focus/faculty than others), and urban health. I am seeking a school and faculty that are not as interested in traditional and theoretical practices as they are with constantly evolving design methods relevant to sustainable living and urban planning.  I am also going to need a program which provides a strong education in computer design and structural methods, since I do not have a B. Arch and most of my current architectural education is historical and some abstract studios.  I do not want to graduate without a fundamental base for future employment, but I also do not wish to be chained to traditional approaches of building spaces and solving problems.  I still am (and always will be) an artist, and my goal is to find a school of intellectuals and thinkers who work first as architects, but also as artists.

I currently have a much larger list of schools than I would like to admit, due to a combination of being worried I will not get into certain schools and a lack of awareness of every schools specific focus.  After attending the Introduction to Architecture program at Columbia and speaking to people there as well as visiting several schools, I am now aware of how different every leading program is and how specific one must be when questioning their choices.  I am also aware that many top-ranked schools are currently or have recently changed Deans, so many of the nations top programs are going through transition phases.  Please spare me the criticism of how different and varying my current choices are, it is not my final list and will be shortened to about half the size.  It would benefit me greatly to hear from recent graduates and current students in these programs as to why the school may or may not be a good fit for me.

Current List (in order of interest):

1) Harvard  - visited and fell in love with the M Arch1 program, faculty, studio space, cross-disciplinary choices, and amount of real-life opportunities available as a student.

2) Columbia  - not in love with the facilities but it is an extremely diverse program that offers a  personalized education for those who seek it, although a recent grad told me it may not be the best program for me.

3) Princeton - from what I've heard it's pretty much free if you get in, and who wouldn't go to Princeton for free? Great resources, good faculty, not sure how modern or design-oriented the program is though.

4) Yale - this is probably the most pretigious program that I know the least about.  Many threads on this site claim it has been falling as a program and is extremely traditional in approach, but it consistently ranks as one of the best programs in the country and seems to have a very strong faculty/syllabus. Seems to be the most traditional among the top-ranked programs though.

Tied 5 & 6) UCLA & Michigan - both programs seem like well-run, established programs with good facilities, faculty, and areas of focus that could meet my goals and interests.  Both seem like they prepare students well for after school.  Both are big sports schools which could be fun (if I ever leave the studios), and I think I have a good shot at getting in and receiving aid from both. However, the California state school system seems to receive a lot of scrutiny which worries me for UCLA, Sci-arch, and Berkeley.

7) SCI-Arch - very new age/techy student works which I could see myself getting into.  Not sure how much real-life projects and exposure you get at this program though, which would slightly worry me for after school.  I could also see myself settling in in Cali, although theres a lot of debate on east coast/west coast in terms of looking for jobs after school which I am worried about.

8) Berkeley - this program was originally higher on my list because of it's focus on environmental design, but has fallen after researching the program and hearing complaints about the lack of design focus and extreme focus on research.  I have no issue with strongly backed research projects and wish to include this in all my work, but am worried about being tied to traditional and non-stimulating forms of practice.  Students have also said that this program is not as sufficient as preparing students for after school as other programs are. 

9) Upenn - Do not know much about this program and have heard mixed reviews.  The program seems to be on the rise after appointing their new dean, focusing on parametric design methods.  Not sure if this program would be good for me, could use some opinions.

10 & 11)  Pratt and Parsons - Do not know much about either of these programs as they are not talked about much and are relatively new programs, but they are close to home and seem to be focused within the realm of urban design so I am choosing to apply to them and will visit/research much more in-depth if I am accepted.  Would love to hear people's thoughts on these programs as well.

Some personal information:

GPA at NYU: 3.7 (graduated with Honors and Student Excellence Award)

GRE: 570 V, 540 Q, 4.5 W

Recommendations: 4 Letters - 3 from NYU faculty (2 in the BFA program and one in Architecture) and 1 former employer

Portfolio: http://issuu.com/davidbrans/docs/david_portfolio_compressed

Have one internship at an architectural firm, went to Columbia Intro program, worked during school at NYU sculpture wood and metal fabrication shop.

***Any comments on my chances at getting into specific schools is also appreciated!  Thank you.

Dec 1, 15 5:54 pm
no_form
tldr, I'm sure you're amazing. But really you should go into finance. Much more profitable than architecture. Good luck.
Dec 1, 15 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
db1234

@no_form  you obviously didn't read a single word if you are mentioning finance, the first sentence says I have a BFA in Studio Art.. not sure why to even bother with such a pointless comment..just trying to be informative to people who actually want to help prospective students.

BTW, have plenty of friends from NYU who work on Wall Street, good for them, not for me =) money isn't everything my friend.

Dec 1, 15 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
Anonymoose

@db1234

I don't know about the schools which you have a shot at, but regarding your portfolio: your paintings are very nice. Much better than what I've seen on other art-to-arch folios on here. The photography spread is meh and can be reduced to a single page. You should also add works from your internship. On page 2, shift the images to the left and keep the text aligned to the right. Make both the images either circular or square. The spread looks kinda awkward.

Other than that, good luck for your application.

Dec 2, 15 2:07 am  · 
 · 
db1234

@anonymoose 

Thanks for your feedback.  Unfortunately I do not have tangible work from my internship, I mostly did day-to-day client interaction and site visits, no technical drawings or physical models unfortunately.  I am not formally trained in architecture (I have a BFA not a B.Arch) so I knew my strongest works would be my paintings which is why I saved them for the end.  All my architectural work is super elementary and abstract (for now).  Thanks for looking!

Dec 2, 15 9:34 am  · 
 · 
archhopeful

I would recommend visiting as many of these schools as possible. Visits are what made it abundantly clear which program I wanted to attend. Especially if you are in NYC, there is no reason not to visit Harvard, Columbia, Yale, Princeton, Penn, Pratt and Parsons. Talk to students, check out their work in person, scope out the facilities, etc. Good luck!

Dec 3, 15 2:50 am  · 
 · 
Designasaur

@no-forum is an idiot. Follow your heart and your dreams. Fuck the money. Do what makes you happy! The best advice I ever learned was choose a school in a city in which you intend to live and work and build your rep. Try and network a lot in grad school. I just looked at your portfolio. I understand that your undergrad was not in Architecture. Try and build a theme with your portfolio. For example if School A is known for having a strong program in sustainability try and focus your portfolio on sustainability. I understand you want to apply to many schools but try and narrow your focus down so your portoflio isnt all over the place. Based on your GPA and GRE numbers you are obviously a very bright person. I have no doubt that your dreams will come true. Keep working hard and best of luck.

Feb 21, 16 3:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: