Archinect
anchor

Understanding Codes.

lizaidesigns

Do I have to know the contents of International Fire Codes, or can I just read the Chapter 9 of CA Codes? Do I have to follow both or just the latter?

Dec 1, 15 1:43 pm
Non Sequitur

Probably would help to hire a local architect.

Dec 1, 15 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
You're asking a complex question. You could hire someone to help you or visit your local building department to find out what you need for your project. Good luck.
Dec 1, 15 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
lizaidesigns

I am a student, I'm asking about a learning strategy and state requirements. 

Dec 1, 15 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Then ask your professors.

Dec 1, 15 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
lizaidesigns

I wasn't asking someone who doesn't know. This is a forum for questions to be directed to people who know and are willing to answer, not for angry people with no answers. 

Dec 1, 15 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

This is a forum for questions to be directed to people who know and are willing to answer.

I don't believe you'll find many posters here who agree with that assessment.

Get cozy with the International code. Most jurisdictions use it, and the ones who have other codes usually apply those over IFC/IBC, not in place of.

Dec 1, 15 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

CBC 901.2 Fire protection systems. Fire protection systems shall be installed, repaired, operated and maintained in accordance with this code and the California Fire Code.

To be clear, the CBC and CFC are based on the IBC and IFC as model codes, and they're quite similar, but building codes are adopted at a state and local level, not a federal level. The "International" in the IBC's title is bullshit. If a state doesn't adopt it, it's worthless paper.

Dec 1, 15 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
lizaidesigns

This is all great. Thanks to both tduds and SneakyPete! I am new to this and it is very confusing to figure out on your own. 

Dec 1, 15 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

just let em burn.  no biggie.

Dec 1, 15 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: