Archinect
anchor

Non-Architect Positions within Architecture Firm

CuriousGeorge

I'm moving away from a 8-year career in finance (bond trading, investment management) and considering getting a MS in Design Science (UMich) that would incorporate business, product design, and architecture courses.  

My question is on the employment structure of most architecture firms. Are the business/finance duties of most firms carried out by architects?  Is there a role for someone with a strong finance background and a MS that allows him to speak the same language as the architects or is this very uncommon?

I'm already pretty set on going back to school to get the degree, I'm more setting expectations and guiding my class selection towards potential employment.

I appreciate your thoughts.  -George

Dec 1, 15 11:28 am
Non Sequitur

Finances are set by the firm Principals and their accountants...

Why make the jump to architecture?

You'd probably be much better off taking a M.arch, completing internship, then immediately opening your own firm once you have a license and relevant experience.

Dec 1, 15 11:34 am  · 
 · 
citizen

The situation you describe exists, but is not very common.  Generally it'd be in medium to larger firms, and having both knowledge bases could be a boon to your profile if you head on this path.

I'd disagree with my colleague above and suggest that your path is shorter, even though the job pool may be smaller.  The years it takes to complete internship, get licensed, and acquire relevant experience to ready you for your own firm can number pretty high.

Dec 1, 15 11:42 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ disagreement is not without it's merits. 8-)

I'd reconsider my post to mention that small boutique firms might be more inclined to hire someone with the OP's potential background more than the traditional arch office.

Dec 1, 15 11:45 am  · 
 · 

I think Bjarke Ingalls said in a recent interview that a lot of his success is attributable to hiring really good partners including someone who is a finance genius.

I know in an old firm I was in the in-house accountant - who had no design background at all - kept a super-tight leash on spending and thus when a six-month downturn happened we were able to keep working without letting anyone go.

Dec 1, 15 11:48 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Donna to the rescue, once again  =o)

Dec 1, 15 11:53 am  · 
 · 
tduds

You'd probably be much better off taking a M.arch, completing internship, then immediately opening your own firm once you have a license and relevant experience.

Keep in mind that "immediately" in this case most likely will mean "In 10-12 years, if everything goes perfectly."

Dec 1, 15 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Agreed with above - small market (limited number of firms that would hire someone w/o experience in firms and then only very few at each of those firms), but the need does exist.  Note you're probably going to run into competition with people with architecture degrees and some experience in firms that go back for MBAs -which is a fair number-.

Dec 1, 15 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Balkins to the rescue to cover the licence procedure!

Dec 1, 15 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

One of my most favorite quotes heard in an Architecture firm (second-hand but originally from the financial / business partner to the design genius): "Your problem is that you treat the profession like a hobby!"

Dec 1, 15 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Careful, poop.  It's like Beetlejuice... don't utter and summon...

Dec 1, 15 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

we employ data strategists and economists at my firm. the demand is out there but it's a niche market. 

Dec 1, 15 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
CuriousGeorge

Thanks everyone for the responses.  

The jump into architecture is simply my desire to enter a more creative, project-based field. My woodworking hobby has led me to SketchUp which led me to other 3D software which led to some architecture sites and forums.  Down the rabbit hole, as they say. 

Since I'm going to be staying in Ann Arbor for the foreseeable future (wife is new professor), I'm afraid I may be putting myself into a niche market within a small city. Although I do consider myself fairly adept at selling my abilities to companies, I'll likely keep my courses fairly broad to keep other options open.  Thanks again for the input.

Dec 1, 15 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Endless options:  A lot of designer type businesses need someone who understands how to run a company profitably and balance the books.  I see the same trend with interior, landscape, engineering firms, suppliers, contractors, etc.  Everyone has a business type person in the company.  We’re companies too…. I can’t think of any firm I know that doesn’t have ‘that’ person who does all that stuff; and they are usually high up on the management ladder. 

Dec 1, 15 4:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: