Archinect
anchor

Second Tier City vs First tier city.

Narcus

Hi guys,

My parents have a small architectural-infrastructure design firm in a second tier city(jaipur).

While we have good business here, and can flourish, foreseeing the boom the city is going through, large IT companies coming up. Do you reckon starting from a first tier city mumbai/delhi is better? From both architecture and developer perspective. 

Do you think quality and pace of life gets severely affected when you are in such a city.

I seek replies from people not from india aswell.

Dec 1, 15 2:41 am
midlander

It's different in different countries. In the US, an architect or developer can do pretty well in smaller cities. Many good architects are based in regional cities like Portland or Phoenix. And some of the biggest firms are based in 2nd tier cities like St. Louis and Dallas.

On the other hand, in China the distinction between 1st and 2nd tier cities is much sharper. Outside of Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong and maybe Guangzhou-Shenzhen there is no architecture culture at all. The big developers operating in the 2nd tier cities are all based in Shanghai, Beijing or Shenzhen so that's where they look for architects. The small local developers in the 2nd tier cities don't care enough about architecture to support local practices much at all. And the quality of life is generally the same in any medium or large Chinese city... bigger is actually better because the big cities have enough money for good infrastructure.

About India though I know nothing at all. Just giving some advice from my perspective.

Dec 1, 15 6:45 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Never heard of Jaipur before.

Dec 1, 15 8:11 am  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

The 10th largest city in India is second tier? How can that possibly be when the entire country is 83rd tier?

Dec 1, 15 9:13 am  · 
 · 
anonitect

Non Seq is ignorant, and d--b is just an asshole. It's amazing how badly people will treat each other on the internet. My knowledge of India is limited, but I know that your city has some incredible architectural treasures. I'd like to see it sometime.

From my perspective (American, mid sized city,) being part of a family business, having the chance to work with people I love and trust, and continuing something that my parents started would be my first choice.

Because the cost of living is relatively low in my city, I have a little extra money, which means that I can travel to the big cities when there is a big museum show or something else I want to see. I've lived in a couple of big cities, and I didn't get to enjoy them fully because I was too preoccupied with having to make rent.

Dec 1, 15 11:38 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ not ignorant. I honestly have never heard of it.

Dec 1, 15 11:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: