Archinect
anchor

Portfolio Critique Please!

jhcy

Hi guys looking for feedback on my portfolio!

I'm a non-arch background with a major in chemical and materials engineering. 

Applying to: Harvard GSD, Umichigan, and Berkeley

Just looking to see what my chances are at getting into these schools! Appreciate all help and comments

http://issuu.com/justineh./docs/gsdtest2

Nov 28, 15 5:25 pm
SpatialSojourner

There is a bunch of good stuff going on.  The layout is pretty on point - nice and simple grid but IMO remove the top lines, it's just page clutter and the font seems big and there's something awkward about the kerning, too big?

I think it's good to sketch and think about "architecting" things but it comes across as quite premature for the projects.  I would remove the small sketch diagrams and let them be powerful ambiguous projects. For example, remove the top middle of page 13 and make those bottom drawings bigger and do more of them like Steven Holl's water colors, where he's studying light and spatial moments but it's merely a snippet and doesn't need to show the entire building.  I really like the right picture on 14.  On 12, I would reposition the project to show the interesting tectonics like on the right and minimize the iconic S image.

TL;DR Bigger provocative imagery - less diagrams trying to make things more "architecture" 

Nov 28, 15 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
Spoons

Why is your email on every page?  Is a requirement?  

Page numbers could be smaller, and placed always on the outside edge of page.  If printed the inside page numbers will be more difficult to see.

Check all your text, it's hyphenating when does not need to.  See Page 23 "Creat-ed" for example.

You can break up your sketches and text more so that you can rotate them.  All of them feel like they are sliding off of the page since they are at odd angles.

Nov 29, 15 10:31 am  · 
 · 
JJ9527

Hi Justine,

Your works on papers are pretty interesting, well done!

Just a few minor mistakes and suggestions:

1. On page 8, the image on the right is covering up the words.

2. It would be better that if you could include the years that you made each project. (e.g June, 2015)

3. For drawings, add in the paper size. (eg. 8.5 x 11 inch)

4. As @Spoons have mentioned earlier, I don't think you need email on every page, and the page number should be on the outside edge.

Good luck!

Ps. Don't know if you remember me, this is James from your group at GSAPP Intro to Arch. :)

Nov 29, 15 5:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: