Archinect
anchor

Thesis on "Swim Stadia" in its initial stage...

shailytamrakar

hello guys,

I'm doing my final semester thesis and I have chosen "Swim Stadia" as my thesis topic.

Swim Stadia for me is basically a Stadium for swimming with additional features such as training centers for swimmers athletes, academic center, gallery, water park along with commercial space for advertising and marketing of swim related accessories. My goal is to design a vibrant and creative space incorporating the elements of water so that the spectator or the visitor inside my stadium experience a water world residing in land. And I also wish to create a place where athletes can shape and broaden their vision and skills further to complete in world class swimmers. 

So, now further I am a little bit stuck how to begin my research. I would appreciate some help and guide on what I should do next? what categories/sub-categories can be there other than above mentioned? any good examples of such swim stadiums/ natatoriums? And also if anyone has done thesis on this or related topic would help....

thanks ...

Nov 26, 15 3:51 pm
Non Sequitur

This is not a thesis topic; it is a studio project like any other. Treat it as such.

Nov 26, 15 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Yeah, this is a project. What's your underlying theme? Is there a reason why you chose this? What do you feel about architecture and where it should go? The answer to that last question is a thesis, "I'm going to design a natatorium" is not.
Nov 26, 15 4:18 pm  · 
 · 

sometimes departments label an in depth project a thesis to satisfy some bureaucratic requirement of the university so thy can assign a single academic task over several semesters. This was the same for my graduate program a better naming system is needed but the OP and many others are using the terminology their academic department uses,let's try not to get hung up on that.

Back to where to begin in how to understand this type of project.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natatorium

Look at Olympic swim and diving venues and develop a program, is this a global sports competition venue or a training education facility? if it is a global sports venue you will have to accommodate radio and television broadcasting as well as filming above and below the water media booths and sight lines will be critical.

I think as with anything you need to develop a program, is retail an essential part of what you want to explore or do you want to offer a new way for spectators to experience competitive swimming and diving, or is this a training facility with an aquarium type exhibition. you have a bunch of options and you need to program the space to pear it down and assign importance to each function.

read the book on programming by Cherry as a start

have fun

Over and out

Peter N

PS.

I highly recommend you figure out how to present your project inside a pool at least once in the many reviews, I did this for a film and performing arts final, lots of insight when you actually experience the elements you are focusing on.

Nov 28, 15 12:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: