Archinect
anchor

Portfolio format review

international_applicant

Hello guys I am applying for an MArch II post-professional program. This is let's say a chapter of my portfolio. A project presented in 3 spreads. It would be more than great if I could get a crit from anyone interested. General crit, not specifically for this project. I mean if the drawings or pics are small, the fonts. Anything

Thank you for your time!

Here is the link: http://issuu.com/gkontomi/docs/26-31

Nov 25, 15 6:41 pm
StevenZhang

Actually, I really want to know if professors read all words in portfolios. Because my friends said he felt so terrible when saw more than 2 paragraphs of English in my projects, I am not sure to native speakers if they have same feeling.

Nov 26, 15 5:02 am  · 
 · 
Narcus

Too much text

No Graphic Design

Text Sucks

Nov 26, 15 7:49 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@narcus thank you for your answer. Can you be a little more specific? I get the first one (too much text) Can you explain what you mean by saying no graphic design?

Nov 26, 15 9:56 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

Anybody else?

Nov 26, 15 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Cut 90% of the text. Make what text you keep larger and more legible.

The site plan on the 2nd page needs to show what is building vs site more clearly...

really all your drawings need a heavier silhouette line around the building or some type of fade over the site/ context so that the building itself pops visually.

Line drawings are nice, but you should have at least one larger rendering that describes the experience.

Diagram on the last spread is nice - it describes so much about the project, why not lead with it?

This could all be condensed to 2 spreads.

Nov 26, 15 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@archanonymous this is really helpful! Thank you So basically I just need 2, max 3 paragraphs explaining the basics, right?

Nov 27, 15 4:29 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Get rid of pink text, make it black and let your images do the talking for you. If your diagrams and images can't convey your project then they didn't do the job, have maximum of 1-3 lines of text at most.

Nov 27, 15 4:45 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@archiwutm8 thank you for your comment! text was not supposed to be pink. It is like that in order to be conspicuous to me on what to check again. I have done this throughout my portfolio. 2-3 lines of text? I have seen succesful portfolios even at ivys with quite a lot text

Nov 27, 15 4:54 am  · 
 · 
ketch

Your future supervisor will read faster than you can think. For this cause the drawings and images are very important. The boss don’t have time to read every project, if he wants know more about your projects he will ask you at the interview. 
The choose of the font is personal and for me it is ok. 
There are too images and drawings, for me you have to choose the most important and put them into. It is not necessary put into all drawings you made for that exam or that competition but the best of them. I would put only two images per page plus diagrams.
The image in page 23 is very similar to the image in page in 24, in my opinion you can put only the prospective image (page 23) because you can understand better the projects through this image.
Page 25-26. The plan, sections and façade drawings are very great. Remember to put a black thin frame to the image or photo. (in Indesign 0.25 it is ok) it is better to keep the same size for all images.
Very good the explosion isometric, very good the section but for me it is not necessary to put into the details.
I hope I was hopeful. 

Nov 27, 15 8:49 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

no paragraphs!

explain the project in 2-3 sentences.

Then just label your drawings and diagrams.

Nov 27, 15 9:19 am  · 
 · 
Spoons

Why do you need to put PORTFOLIO so large on the front cover? Do you think your reader will be unable to understand that it is a portfolio?  

The hierarchy of the text is a bit odd.  The title of the project should be larger than the chapter number. Your content/message is more important than the navigation text which no one may use.  When I open the page all I see is 06.  Pink is not a good idea for text, and you should keep your text box width consistent.   

Nov 27, 15 10:38 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

Thanks everybody for your comments! They are really helpful and more than appreciated

Nov 28, 15 12:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: